PDA

View Full Version : Caring for carbon fiber...

slammin86
10-31-2011, 09:20 PM
I have a phantom black metallic 04 GTO that recently had a run in with a deer. Due to price and availability of OEM parts I opted to go with a carbon fiber hood and a pair of carbon fiber grills. The plan is to leave the carbon fiber bare and not paint it body color.

The manufacturer has told me that the carbon fiber hood has a gel coat and a clear coat over it. He has also said that keeping these out of sunlight as much as possible is the key to keeping them in good shape.

Is there any product I can use on this to help protect it from the sun's uv rays and keep it looking new longer? The car is garage kept, but when I drive it to work it could sit in the parking lot in direct sunlight for several hours a day.

I currently use wolfgang 3.0 sealant and pinnacle spray wax after washes.

Any advice welcome.

LuxuryMobile
10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
If it has clear coat on it, and you are concerned about it, seems your best bet is to Opti Coat it.

FUNX650
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
IMO...Since the manufacturer states it's clear-coated....care for it the same as you care for the rest of your vehicle's traditional BC/CC paint system.

Bob

slammin86
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
If it has clear coat on it, and you are concerned about it, seems your best bet is to Opti Coat it.

Thank you for that. I spent a few hours researching that...I had no clue it existed. I think I will get that and put a coat on the hood. Then maybe the rest of the car and the wife's car too.

jpegs13
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
IMO...Since the manufacturer states it's clear-coated....care for it the same as you care for the rest of your vehicle's traditional BC/CC paint system.

Bob

:iagree: I have clear coated CF and I treat it the same as the painted parts