PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew: Do You Mix Two Or More Products?

Pages : [1] 2 3

brawl
10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
I remember reading some threads and posts where mixing products was suggested or shared. Richy's 601/105 and 601/105 mixture, and mixing OCW to ONR are the only things that I remember.

Please share some mixtures that you did (ratio, method, shelf life), and what worked and what did not. I know that manufacturers do not recommend this, with rare exception(s) like Zaino. I am just curious if many of you mix products.

Disclaimer: Posters, AGO and I will not be held liable for recommending mixtures. Readers may try the mixtures at their own risk. :D

Setec Astronomy
10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Mixing OCW and ONR?!?! That sounds like something that someone told you you did when you woke up from a three-day drunk....

The 601 mixing is, well, just a different way of getting 601 combined with your sealant, instead of mixing them together as layers on the car, you do it in a bottle first. I think it was Sal Zaino's idea...

fredcandetail
10-31-2011, 09:19 PM
9oz 105 and 3oz 205 in a 12oz bottle shaken real good on a polishing pad is a good one stepper I found

brawl
10-31-2011, 09:43 PM
Mixing OCW and ONR?!?! That sounds like something that someone told you you did when you woke up from a three-day drunk....

Mixing OCW in the rinseless wash solution is kinda odd. It may not affect ONR's cleaning ability; it might even add slickness but I do not think a highly diluted OCW will considerably increase the gloss. On the other hand, adding OCW to an ONR-QD mixture does not sound that off. Some people use OCW as drying aid to ONR washes. So, OCW in an ONR-QD is not far fetched because it will be more or less in the same dilution when OCW is sprayed on an ONR soaked car.

Rav777
10-31-2011, 09:47 PM
I've mixed a bit of OPT polish II with Poli-seal to give it more cut when I do AIO's.

C. Charles Hahn
10-31-2011, 10:37 PM

Actually it's a technique Scottwax has been recommending.

That said, for the record I'm not a fan of "home-brewing" products simply because the effects can be unpredictable. Some may be more harmless than others though.

Da Fats
10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I've mixed a bit of OPT polish II with Poli-seal to give it more cut when I do AIO's.

I talked to Dr G about this and he said you can go up to 50/50 polish II with poliseal and maintain full protection durability while improving the cut considerably... I will test this out on my tailgate this weekend I hope as it is the only panel I have left in polished to test on :)
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Dr Oldz
11-01-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't mix products unless they are concentrated and require water. I let the chemists at the places that make the products try mixing stuff and have faith in them sending me te best product! :D

Da Fats
11-01-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't mix products unless they are concentrated and require water. I let the chemists at the places that make the products try mixing stuff and have faith in them sending me te best product! :D

That's why I asked the chemist behind the product ! :)

SameGuy
11-01-2011, 12:23 AM
I've read that a three parts D151 to one part M105 mix makes a good one-step with a bit more cut, but I haven't tried it yet.

Rav777
11-01-2011, 01:33 AM
I talked to Dr G about this and he said you can go up to 50/50 polish II with poliseal and maintain full protection durability while improving the cut considerably... I will test this out on my tailgate this weekend I hope as it is the only panel I have left in polished to test on :)

Yeah that is usually what I do and it works way better. Poli-seal works great but some cars just need that extra cut.

Good luck on the buffin! :buffing:

Setec Astronomy
11-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Actually it's a technique Scottwax has been recommending.

Well, then it must have some merit, but I don't really understand what is trying to be accomplished from what's been posted here. Unfortunately Scottwax and Accumulator are the price I've paid for swearing off that other forum, but c'est la vie.

shoeless89
11-01-2011, 07:12 AM
The closest thing to mixing products I do is putting some ONR along with my car shampoo when I wash a car

DaHen
11-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I've always added a cap full of Optimum's No Rinse in with any of my favorite car soaps or shampoos.
Yesterday, when I used Ultima's Waterless Wash Plus to get the first-of-the-season salt spray off the car, I still added a cap full of ONR.

brawl
11-01-2011, 08:33 AM
I knew that only few mix products. Sticking to the established techniques and products and using products for their intended use will already yield to great results in detailing. However, this is not a poll on whether or not it is ok to mix products. It is obvious that the consensus will recommend buying dedicated products. It is a good advice actually to stick with what the manufacturer says and what has been tested. But, there is always the saying, "to each his own." Thus, product and technique are, at the end, very subjective as far as I observe in detailing forums.

Innovations are often results of experimentation. There are a lot of instances where scientists were called mad at first before they find success, in going outside the box, resorting to something unconventional or going against what is already established. Copernicus took a lot of heat for saying the earth is not the center of the universe. Just like any experiment, there is a risk of errors. On the other hand, there are absolute nutcase. Also, it is my opinion that ingenuity or the ability to perform successful detail with limited is good characteristic for a detailer to have.

I am intrigue by members who take risks. (Unless experiments are taken against clients' vehicles). If a detailer can deviate from the recommended application method and create a method of his own, which is quite usual here, I do not see any reason for trying products for different purpose or even mixing it. Personally, my wallet is not built for buying a lot of detailing products and it will be very beneficial to me financially to mix products that I already have instead of buying additional products. So keep the mixtures coming as I prefer to mix my existing OPII with OPS rather than buying D151, or buy 105 and 205 only without having to buy Menz Power Finish. I won't be judgmental about your mixtures and will never force you to do what works for me. Just remember what Mike Phillips always say.