PDA

View Full Version : Bad results on Detailer Sprays...

Pages : [1] 2

Bernard
02-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi there....well this is my 3rd post. I have been busy reading a lot of the older posts in this forum. Well my problem is I'm been using M80 (bought from AG of course) polishing my car paint surface to a very nice and almost swirls free. But since these couple of week of using Detailer Spray on my car. It seems to instill new swirls back. I sprayed much onto the paint. But still getting new swirls. I don't like use Detailer Spray as I really don't trust them, I usually wash the whole car. But since facing coming drought, I started to use the Detailer Spray. I use 2 pcs of MF, 1st to wipe it then 2nd to dry the surface. Once the 1st & 2nd MF is a bit dirty, I'll use a new set MF. :)

I guess I will just have to hang in there till the drought passes, then maybe I'll repolish again to de-swirl the paint. And it got me thinking of our enviorment nowadays...what if in future more and longer droughts......What are we gonna do...? :o I guess I can live with the swirls at this moment. Anyway do u guys have this kind of problem using Detailer Sprays? :o

Whitethunder46
02-16-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure what M80 is, it sounds like the car may be too dirty when you are spraying? If the spray is more meant for protection then the car should be basically 100% clean before applying the spray, so no need for two towels.

If it's a cleaning QD then I can only think that the surface is too dirty or your not spraying enough lubrication? Also, if your rubbing the second towel on the surface (which is dry), and the first towel didn't get all the contaminents, that could induce swirls as well. But IDK, I've had luck with all my QD's.

Bigfoot
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
Ok, first things first: Welcome to AG my friend!:awesome:

Now, about the QD and the process, what kind of MF's are you using? If you are using a cheap MF, that might be the problem there. AG sells lots of excelent quality towels to fit everybodys needs and budget.How much QD are you using? How much pressure you're applying? This things are something to consider when scratches appear even when you try to take the outmost care.

Here are some links that will help you better:

Microfiber towels
Microfiber Towels, Microfiber dusters and microfiber Detailing tools (http://autogeek.net/mictow.html)

Quick detailers (QD's) and proper use:
Quick detail sprays, spray waxes and spray sealants provide instant shine and paint protection! Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz (http://autogeek.net/quickdetail.html)

Hpe this helps...

Joey:cheers:

Bernard
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Come to think of it.....? I think it would be that my paint surface is a bit too dusty. U might be rite on cue Whitethunder....thks a lot.
When I wipe with the second towel, the surface is still wet a bit.

Thk u kindly Bigfoot for the links. I appreciate it very much. I did use quite a lot of QD. My Megs Speed Detailer has come to half btl already. And this is only the 2nd time I'm using it. Might be like Whitethunder suggested....to much dust & dirty to be using the QD. Sigh....but its not rainning and I feel very bad to wash my car. :) I guess the water source is more important than the car. I can live with this. :)

blkyukon
02-16-2007, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't use a QD on anything more then light dusting.

You might want to look as some Poorboy's Spray & Wipe (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html) I've had great luck with it :

Below are pictures of what I've used Spray & Wipe on safely without marring...make sure to use plenty of MF, turn often and don't use pressure when wiping.

This is the dirtiest I would use S&W for without marring - one day of driving in the rain -
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/sw/sw_1.jpg

Spray & Wipe sprayed on panel - let dwell for about 30 seconds to a minute - amount to use depends on how dirty the car is, below is about 5-6 sprays
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/sw/sw_2.jpg

Using a good microfiber towel, apply very little or no pressure and depending on how dirty the car is, turn towel at each pass to prevent scratching.
After wiping off -
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/sw/sw_3.jpg

2KLS1
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
You don't want to use a QD to clean your car unless its very very light dusting. Also if you want to wash your car but don't want to use a lot of water maybe you should look into some renseless washing products like DP's 4-in-1 or Optimum No rinse. Two to three gallons of water is all you'll need unless you have a big truck or something.

blkyoukon
Wow that looks like it worked pretty good. I think I might consider some PB's S&W now.

Bernard
02-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow....tht's quiet dirty fender panel, mine isn't that dirty too. I'll try to use less pressure & look into a more quality MF too. But I didn't let the QD dwell for even 1 minute tho. I just spray & wipe off. Thank u kindly for the feedback & knowledge. :)

blkyukon
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Wow that looks like it worked pretty good. I think I might consider some PB's S&W now.
S&W is great...it has saved me many of hours of washing that beast!!

Wow....tht's quiet dirty fender panel, mine isn't that dirty too. I'll try to use less pressure & look into a more quality MF too. But I didn't let the QD dwell for even 1 minute tho. I just spray & wipe off. Thank u kindly for the feedback & knowledge. :)

Your Welcome.

That was pushing the limits for S&W but I turned the the MF every pass and used a clean one for a final buff and it left no marring.

Now remember not to try to push the limits with a normal QD, it doesn't have the lubricates and detergents to clean like S&W...only use a QD'er for light dusting.

noname5
02-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure what M80 is

Meguiar's #80, its a good basic polish from what I hear.

To the OP: I too think it is most likely your towel, since it sounds like you are QDing a clean car. Personally, I don't even use a QD for light dirt unless we're talking super light dust. Even then, I never use anything on more than a small surface of the paint unless we're talking about a wash.

Whitethunder46
02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Meguiar's #80, its a good basic polish from what I hear.

To the OP: I too think it is most likely your towel, since it sounds like you are QDing a clean car. Personally, I don't even use a QD for light dirt unless we're talking super light dust. Even then, I never use anything on more than a small surface of the paint unless we're talking about a wash.

That's what I thought but I read his first post wrong. Was thinking M80 was some kind of QD, haha.

Strokin04
02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
After using the M80 are you topping with a wax or sealant? If not and then using a qd'er at a later time to spot clean I could see why you would have swirls. Mike...

Bernard
02-17-2007, 12:45 AM
After M80, I did waxed it with Gold Class wax. Maybe I'll try using QD on the left of the car only for a few weeks and the other right side just let the dust be till I have the chance to wash the whole car. I'll see if it's better this way. :)

Strokin04
02-17-2007, 12:52 AM
What qd are you using? I only usually use a QD on my daily driver for spot cleaning bird bombs and bug guts because the dust and grit will collect on it pretty quickly in one day of driving. On my garage queen (mustang) I will wipe down every other week with a qd but that is because it was not driven and only has a slight layer of dust mostly from the dryer (lint dust). Mike...

supercharged
02-17-2007, 03:05 AM
QD is meant to be used after wash to boost existing wax. You may also use it to remove light dust, once again LIGHT DUST. Once vehicle is dirty - wash it.

BILL
02-17-2007, 08:37 AM
That's what I thought but I read his first post wrong. Was thinking M80 was some kind of QD, haha.

ME TOO!!! I WAS ALREADY GOOGLING IT:p