PDA

View Full Version : New member paint question

Cruisermark
02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello,
I have recently done an overall repaint job on my Landcruiser. It is a 1997 and I went back with the factory paint code with a change in the metallic. I changed it from fine/medium to coarse/medium which really pops out nicely on the sun and adds incredible depth. It is base coat clear coat, (Valspar Base and Nexa/ICI clear). It has been 6 months since completion and final cut and buff and I have not done anything other than wash and detail spray to keep the surface clean until paint has fully cured. The other day, I noticed I had contamination on the surface, especially the hood and roof so I decided to use clay bar from Mothers California Gold. I was amazed at how clean and smooth it made the paint and now I am prepared to seal and wax the paint. I have the Wolfghang Deep Gloss paint sealant and Pinnacle Soverign wax. However before I received those products, I jumped the gun and applied a lite coat of Meguires Liquid Carnuba wax to the hood only. So here is my question. Before I seal the paint, should I clean the hood of the Mequires wax first and what is the best way to insure the paint is clean and ready for sealant/wax? I have Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and wondered if that will clean the surface well enough.

Here is my homepage with my paint project details if interested.
http://homepage.mac.com/marklow/PhotoAlbum5.html

Stittville Ed
02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Great Job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the Spray Booth, you should make a DVD for sale on EBay :righton:
I got back to a little painting last summer, great fun

My buddie's father has a Auto parts store and they handle DuPont so I get good information which is the real battle with so many products for so many different cars/surfaces

They got me the ChromaSystem Technical Manual which was a big help.
I would go up to his place at night and sniff around to see what he was using and ask questions, it was a big help.

Cruisermark
02-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Yea... I like it too. I went to trade school for Auto Paint and Body about 20 years ago but did not go into the business. I just kept it as knowledge onder my belt since I have always been possionate with my cars and paint. Things have really changed since then though. We were using Glasurite paint system back then and a good friend/auto refinishing business owner uses the same thing. I had to rrfamiliarize myself with each step and spent alot of time down at the auto paint supply store. It took me 6 monthe or more from start to finish but primarily because A job and no proper place to do my paint work. But now I am done and have just been waiting for the paint to cure and be ready for wax and protection. I have been trying to keep it clean and contaminate free without having any real protection on the paint surface. I did not want to have to color color sand, cut and buff again because I do not want to take away anymore clear coat. Also, by now, it is so hard, I would have trouble getting the 2000 grit sand scratches out. I have a good thickness on the clear and when polished, it really looks like a glass layer on top of the metallic paint.

I now have a 1985 Porsche 944 that I am going to paint but am waiting until I can get a place to work and a real spray booth to paint in. Mine was ok but a good down draft booth with temp control will make things much easier with less cutting and buffing afterwards.

I think there are more gallerys at the top of my homepage that can be viewed but not sure what all is there. I try to keep adding things as I go.