PDA

View Full Version : Starting my spring detailing

dennish
05-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Here is my latest detail using my Cyclo purchased as a kit from Autogeek. First I would like to say that the kit really has everything you need to get started but I have already order more of each color pad. We just purchase the 1935 Ford all steel street a couple of months ago and it typical of a lot of street rods that make the local car shows – lots of swirls from using QD and dusting at shows. Here is what the entire car looked like.

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/Before_35.jpg

Mostly moderate to light swirling with a couple of places had scuffs. After starting out with FP instead of IP I wasn’t very impressed but after discovering my error I was really impressed with the Cyclo. I did the entire car with the Cyclo and IP and what I found is how easy the Cyclo was to use. This is a real well balanced tool the looks heavy and hard to control but it just the opposite – runs smooth and not near as much vibration as the PC and I think easier to control. I used about the same down pressure as I use on the PC but to load this down like you can a PC you get panel flexing. Polishes flash quicker and what would normally take 3 or 4 applications with a PC can easily be done in 1 maybe 2 applications with the Cyclo. You here about how effective the spot pads are on the PC – well that just multiply that by two and you got the Cyclo. Basically use the same principles with the Cyclo as you do the PC Here is the tool pictures, what isn’t show is the CRSpotless, Gilmore Foam Gun, clay and PO85RD.

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/Detailing_Tools.jpg

The procedure was washed with the hopefully soon to be release Autogeek foam gun soap using the CRSpotless.

Clayed with Pinnacle Clay and Pinnacle clay lube.

Used the Cyclo with orange pad and IP did the entire car and did some spot polishing with the yellow pad and Poorboys 2.5.

Used the Cyclo and FP using a white pad – probably was not needed since I used a white pad and PO85RD over the entire car also.

Used the PC and Red Moose Glaze using a white pad over the entire car. I think RMG adds depth, wetness and darkens that paint slightly. One of my favorites to use with Sonveran.

LSP was Souveran put on by hand using the WOWO method and by far my favorite on my show cars

Here is how it turned out.

http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/after_35.jpg
http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/after_2_35.jpg
I’m not seeing any swirls or spider webbing but the sun has not been out since I finished to do the finial check.

There is only two things I can think that could be improved on.

1. Switch placement make it easy to turn it on and off by accident. Twice it turned in on with polish on the pads by accident sling polish everywhere.
2 The cord is shorter than the PC – wish it had a long cord so the plug would stay on the floor while polishing.

Up next the hardest to do!!!! Plan to start this one next week.
http://cars.537wine.biz/assets/images/show2.jpg

joe.p
05-05-2006, 11:09 AM
You did a beautiful job. I like the pics you post of your vehicles.Congrats on being so fortunate to have them..

Surfer
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Post pics of your black beauty:eek: :D

BlackCoupe
05-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Dennis--Sounds like you are the guy to ask about this, judging from your post. You feel that QD'ing is the cause of swirls? How about those "California Dusters"? Same problem? My black car sits out at work during the day. I would like to QD but I have been afraid to for the reason you stated. Sounds like I have to either wash it properly or drive it dirty.

Where are you? If you are in South Florida, I would like to come and see your cars at shows.

cwcad
05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Very interesting comments on the Cyclo. Just makes me itchy thinking about the possibilities of using the Cyclo.

I have the Menzerna polishes and look forward to using the Cyclo from a member of another forum that offered to let me try his to see if I like the work that it does. Your review was welcome and appreciated.

BILL
05-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Dennis--Sounds like you are the guy to ask about this, judging from your post. You feel that QD'ing is the cause of swirls? How about those "California Dusters"? Same problem? My black car sits out at work during the day. I would like to QD but I have been afraid to for the reason you stated. Sounds like I have to either wash it properly or drive it dirty.

Where are you? If you are in South Florida, I would like to come and see your cars at shows.

GREAT question on the california duster, now that my buggy is to my satisfaction I'm afraid to use the duster.....

The duster is coated with a wax substance i believe that could prevent swirls..:confused:

joe.p
05-05-2006, 05:57 PM
GREAT question on the california duster, now that my buggy is to my satisfaction I'm afraid to use the duster.....

The duster is coated with a wax substance i believe that could prevent swirls..:confused:
I use the CD on my 71 olds and have no problems in the swirl dept.
Some people have had issues with streaking when the panels are warm due to the parrafin wax used to coat the duster.The directions state to leave the CD wrapped in newspaper. I leave mine in the paper at all times until i use it.

BILL
05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
I use the CD on my 71 olds and have no problems in the swirl dept.
Some people have had issues with streaking when the panels are warm due to the parrafin wax used to coat the duster.The directions state to leave the CD wrapped in newspaper. I leave mine in the paper at all times until i use it.

Good idea.........do you ever wash it in woolite like they recommend???

joe.p
05-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Good idea.........do you ever wash it in woolite like they recommend???
No i have not washed it yet as yet. i use it on my olds and nothing else.I have read on other forums where they have never washed it,supposedly they get better with age but i dunno..

I purchased it from a Vendor on Ebay. This one has a beautiful wooden handle as the new ones are cheap plastic. price $14.99

cwcad
05-05-2006, 09:22 PM

I can understand your fear. CCD can marr the surface of your vehicles paint. If you do scratch the surface of your paint the surface it is because the surface had to much dust or dirt, to much pressure wash applied, the surface was wet and dusty or the surface was to hot to use a CCD.

Best results come when the paint surface is cool, dry, and light dust. No marring has occured on my Black truck with these conditons. Other than these conditions marring occurs regularly on my truck.

Be especially careful on the horizontal surfaces. They gather more dust and more heat from the sun. the majority of the marring occurs there as well. To the best of my knowledge the parafin wax on the duster is for picking up the dust and has nothing to do with curtailing swirls.

Totoland Mach
05-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Dennis: I got my Cyclo kit the other day and tried it on "Mikey Da Beater" last night. It's my daily driver and has been at long term airport parking this past week (you know that one...it's where the unburnt jet fuel on final approach coats the cars).

Anyway, the Cyclo seemed bulky at first, but I got used to that in a few minutes. And it seems to work product twice as fast as the pc! I tried the new XMT #2 Swirl Remover followed by a coat of XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze. The swirl remover is for very light scratches and worked great. There's not dusting with this product like DACP.

The XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze is worth a try on show cars. I've been super impressed with this product. The depth of gloss it leaves is outstanding and I'm going to try it on a Black Porsche 996 twin turbo this weekend.

Finally, you're right about that Cyclo switch! I've turned it off several times due to my hand placement on the handle and trying it on some body curves.

Totoland Mach

BILL
05-06-2006, 07:19 AM
:righton: Thanks.........my cars garaged and I wouldn't be using my duster in the sun or on heavy grime.....just a light dust, so i guess i'll be ok using it like that
thanks again.......

dennish
05-06-2006, 08:36 AM

Unless you are running the show circuit and do mostly indoor shows you end up in some city park on grass surface and under trees. Here is Kansas in the middle of the summer that grass is dry and moving cars in and just people waking around stirs up dust and you end up using the California duster several times a during the show. Anytime you dealing with removing dust and dirt on the surface you most likely well get some swirls. I use the California dust and have for years but I only let the very tips of the dust touch the surface and I resist the urge to apply little pressure. Using a QD is usually a judgment call and a lot times I just won’t use one. This is where my views and lot of other differ – on show cars I only use Glazes plus Wax (RMG and PS) and I use sealants on my daily drivers only. The reason being is using the Glaze/Waxes leaves a near perfect finish and very minor swirls are covered up. Minor swirls in my daily drivers are acceptable but if you are showing cars they are held to a higher standard. :cheers:

dennish
05-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Dennis: I got my Cyclo kit the other day and tried it on "Mikey Da Beater" last night. It's my daily driver and has been at long term airport parking this past week (you know that one...it's where the unburnt jet fuel on final approach coats the cars).

Anyway, the Cyclo seemed bulky at first, but I got used to that in a few minutes. And it seems to work product twice as fast as the pc! I tried the new XMT #2 Swirl Remover followed by a coat of XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze. The swirl remover is for very light scratches and worked great. There's not dusting with this product like DACP.

The XMT Carnuba Finishing Glaze is worth a try on show cars. I've been super impressed with this product. The depth of gloss it leaves is outstanding and I'm going to try it on a Black Porsche 996 twin turbo this weekend.

Finally, you're right about that Cyclo switch! I've turned it off several times due to my hand placement on the handle and trying it on some body curves.

Totoland Mach

I think it is a lot more effective tool over the PC.

I'm always looking for good Glazes for my cars so have you tryed Red Moose Glaze? If so -- how do they compare?

If they would just make the switch throw the other way -- I would perfer and trigger or one like on the PC.