PDA

View Full Version : M105 dust is re-marring my paint

Pages : [1] 2

davidc11291
10-31-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm using a Griot's DA, a cutting pad, and M105. I'll do my section and when I wipe my residue off, I've got a perfect, swirl free finish, but later, after I've done a few more sections and completeled the panel I'm working on, there's the dust all over the panel (to be expected). I'll then wipe the dust off, and the dust is putting swirls back into the paint.

I'm sure I'm originally getting the finish swirl free, because after I buff a section and wipe off the residue, the section is coming out swirl free. Also, the swirls I'm putting in aren't coming from my towels I'm using. If that were the case, the swirls would appear as soon as I wipe of the residue, not later down the road when I'm wiping off the dry dust. Pluse I've tried several different brands of microfiber's and old cotton t-shirts and old towels.

So how do you remove the 105 dust and not marr up the paint?

tuscarora dave
10-31-2011, 02:04 AM
Have you tried washing it between the M-105 and the next polishing step? How about spraying it with some ONR or QD before wiping the dust away?

DLB
10-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Have you tried washing it between the M-105 and the next polishing step? How about spraying it with some ONR or QD before wiping the dust away?
This.

If you are certain that is where your swirls are coming from, why continue to do it? It is not necessary.

Personally I just leave the dust everywhere, then wash the vehicle when I am done with 105. You could probably just pressure wash the vehicle and achieve the same, but a wash with soap is better IMO.

DLB

loudog2
10-31-2011, 07:26 AM
If it is the dust. Do you have a compressor, blower or even cans of compressed air. After blowing off the dust, try a wet/damp towel first. Then wipe with a dry MF towel.

Flash Gordon
10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Definitley need to wash between the 105 and 205

Last week when we were doing test sections, we didn't do it due to time restraints, but I thought I went over this? Remember when I was telling you about my theory on 105 dust infecting your finishing pad (205)?

I always do an APC wash after each step. Some do an IPA wipedown

Don't get frustrated, just keep practicing and it will come to you

WRAPT C5Z06
10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Buy the new version optimum spray compound.

C. Charles Hahn
10-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Buy the new version optimum spray compound.

Is the new version released now?

WRAPT C5Z06
10-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Is the new version released now?
It's available directly from optimum.

weavers
10-31-2011, 10:10 AM
use a California duster the junkman way:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE]Waterless Wash - Part 3 - YouTube[/video]

if the m105 dust is causing maring don't worry cause you gotta follow up with m205 anyways. I haven't had problems with this before. to prevent so much dusting don't correct in the sun or when its to hot, also try the kevin brown method with baby oil in the bottle of m105 or spritz of QD on the bad

tuscarora dave
10-31-2011, 10:29 AM
also try the kevin brown method with baby oil in the bottle of m105 or spritz of QD on the bad
I think Kevin would appreciate if someone would mention here that baby oil is not part of the KBM. Baby oil is something I am not willing to taint 105 with. regardless of what other people think or do I am of the belief that baby oil would hyper lubricate the abrasives causing the 105 to be less effective. I have non dusting compounds that work slower than 105 but do work none the less. A simple spritz of water speeds up the cutting action of 105. The dust is a small trade off for great performance.

I like Mark's suggestion.

shoeless89
10-31-2011, 01:02 PM
The only two things I could think of would be a) when you wipe it off your revealing swirls that were already there or b) if you are creating swirls, try spraying some QD or waterless wash down before you wipe it off

Elbow Grease
10-31-2011, 01:39 PM
...if the m105 dust is causing maring don't worry cause you gotta follow up with m205 anyways...

This. ^^

Surely the dust isn't causing any scars that the 205 won't take out? The scratches just have to be gone after the last step. IMHO, washing is un-necessary work that carries its own risks of marring.

EG

Flash Gordon
10-31-2011, 01:56 PM
This. ^^

Surely the dust isn't causing any scars that the 205 won't take out? The scratches just have to be gone after the last step. IMHO, washing is un-necessary work that carries its own risks of marring.

EG

How will you know if the defects were removed unless you wash or ipa?

richy
10-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Try an ONR wipe down of the panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elbow Grease
10-31-2011, 03:11 PM
How will you know if the defects were removed unless you wash or ipa?

I would use IPA, not wash. I'm assuming that's what the OP is doing. He says that he is sure the finish is clean before going back over the dust created from other sections.

EG