PDA

View Full Version : New gloss black steel wheels - Opti-Coat?

muscle
10-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I will be receiving a new set of Cragar Soft 8 steel wheels next week. They are gloss black powder coated wheels. From what I have read, they clean up very nicely. That said, do you think I should Opti-Coat the wheels before having them mounted?

TroyScherer
10-30-2011, 06:47 PM
It's can't hurt. Opti-Coat would be a great layer of protection especially if you already have some.

LuxuryMobile
10-30-2011, 07:15 PM
It would sure make cleaning and caring for them much, much easier. I say go ahead and do it.

muscle
10-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Sorry, guys... I forgot the main reason I wanted to ask. If I do decide to apply Opti-Coat, would I need to do any prep work since they will be new and in the box when I get them?

C. Charles Hahn
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
You should still clean them up first, since there's no telling what sort of oils may be on the surface from the factory. Just a quick wipedown with OPC, or CP Eraser isn't a big deal.

shoeless89
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
I would still do an IPA wipe down or something like that. And check the surface for contaminants. Who knows where they were sitting and for how long

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Bacon
10-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd use one of the fine line of Meguiars Products like Ultimate Quick Wax...1 easy spray and you are done.

But, I'd wait til the new SEMA Products are released..you might find some new great stuff. You have to be careful you dont ruin those new wheels!

:xyxthumbs:

Bacon

VGA No.1
10-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Steps in Opti_Coat 2.0 Application:

1. Buff or then polish wheels to bring out its final gloss (Depending on how you want to accomplish doing these)

2. On your last step for protection / gloss enhancer use OPT Opti Seal.
Just spray on then wipe off on new microfiber towel. (Depending on choice)

3. Wash wheels with water then spray Meguiar's APC- all purpose cleaner on 25/75 water dilution. Thats 25 APC then 75 Water. wipe down with microfiber sponge. Then rinse with water.

4. Dry wheels

5. Spray IPA alcohol. Make sure its 15-20% including on water dilution. Ex. you have IPA 40% just mix it with 50% water to make it 20%

5. After spraying 15-20% alcohol, wipe it down with clean microfiber towel. make sure wheels are perfectly dry.

6. Apply Opti_Coat 2.0 using foam applicator or any applicator. (was using the one girls use to remove there make up on there face. I forgot whats its called. a face applicator maybe :))

7. When applying Opti_Coat 2.0 make an up and down pattern then after you could do left and right pattern. make sure you don't miss a spot and make sure its not to much other wise you'll be wasting the product.

8. Wipe down slowly with a clean microfiber cloth.

9. Let it dry at least 24hrs - This is for curing period which is the most important of all. (Do not touch or wipe down)

10. Wipe down with OPT Opti Seal on microfiber cloth.

11. Install it on your car

When applying OPti_Coat make sure your in a dust free room temperature enclosed area. Same procedure i recommend on applying to a car's paint. Good luck :)