PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 on trim

Pages : [1] 2

rider9195
10-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Recently I applied Collinite 845 to a vehicle and on the wheel arches there is black plastic trim. When putting down the 845 I got a some on a section of the trim and simple wiped it off with a microfiber. Later on I noticed that it darkened the trim nicely and when it rained the water just beads of the trim like it wasn't even there. Now I know Collinite doesn't recommend doing this. But I have used 845 on all the trim and it actually makes it look very nice and doesn't stain or anything. I thought I would share this and see if anyone else has tried this.

Ted S.
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Recently I applied Collinite 845 to a vehicle and on the wheel arches there is black plastic trim. When putting down the 845 I got a some on a section of the trim and simple wiped it off with a microfiber. Later on I noticed that it darkened the trim nicely and when it rained the water just beads of the trim like it wasn't even there. Now I know Collinite doesn't recommend doing this. But I have used 845 on all the trim and it actually makes it look very nice and doesn't stain or anything. I thought I would share this and see if anyone else has tried this.

I'm curious as what the long term effects on the trim will be. I've noticed the same thing, but I usually try and remove whatever I can. If Collinite doesn't recommend it, there is probably a reason for it; I'd assume Collinite knows their product best.

rider9195
10-30-2011, 03:45 PM
If Collinite doesn't recommend it, there is probably a reason for it; I'd assume Collinite knows their product best.

I agree Ted, you have a very good point. Seeing that it has been a week with the 845 on my trim I am willing to test out what or if any bad happens to the trim. Always willing to try something different.

aerogt01
10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Across the pond people use M16 on trim and black plastic all the time. I am not aware of any ill effects.

845 may be in the same boat.

01GreyStangGT
10-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Across the pond people use M16 on trim and black plastic all the time. I am not aware of any ill effects.

845 may be in the same boat.

I got #16 on my Kia Sorento's trim and had a hard time getting it off. I used 845 on it later and it worked just fine.

aerogt01
10-30-2011, 10:41 PM
That's strange. I had to resist using it on my Grand Prix. It worked nicely but I have so much Ultimate Protectant left.

tw33k2514
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I apply it to every vehicles trim i do. Have not had any issues yet.

5Toes
10-31-2011, 12:16 AM
^ yeah what will it do to trim??? Likely nothing

toni
10-31-2011, 02:37 AM
It will darken the trim, much like any trim dressing but with improved durability.

BobbyG
10-31-2011, 10:11 AM
I've used Collinite 845 on my black plastic trim without any ill affect so far. In other threads some have experienced a chalky residue. I'm not quite sure how this could happen with Collinite 845 due to its ingredients but what I can tell you is I have not.... :props:

MirandaAutoSpa
10-31-2011, 12:33 PM
This is why I love 845. I have used it as an exterior sealant on paint, trim and glass. Love it!

rider9195
10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I contacted Collinite yesterday and they sent me back this:

Hey Ryan,

I am glad the products have been working well for you. 845 will not damage the plastic trim, but sometimes it can leave some undesirable residue if people leave it on too long or do not buff out thoroughly.

Thanks,
Mark

Good to find another great use for this product.

Da Fats
10-31-2011, 04:03 PM
I had this happen with DP Policoat... with the cleaners mixed in with this stuff... it worked wonders on faded trim around the windows... i went ahead and throuhg it on the black trim around the wheels

Setec Astronomy
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
I almost always use waxes like #16, 476S, and 845 on trim (when I'm using them on the paint). Not so good on flat black paint, weird trim that has a surface that's kind of like flat black paint, and, as the Collinite email stated, trim with a texture that is hard to buff the residue from.

RobRabbit2.5
10-09-2014, 08:22 AM
I found some products recently that will remove the wax buildup from the trim pieces. Most of them are an orange based solvent that is a wipe on/off application that stripped the wax almost immediately.

A local retailer also sold me what i imagine is basically a "magic eraser" that removed the buildup from my trim pieces in seconds and cost me a whopping 99 cents.

Two options to try. Just be careful with them. Use the eraser and solvent lightly. They are both strong products.