PDA

View Full Version : Personal Care/Grooming.

Pages : [1] 2

Ted S.
10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Everyone here is fairly ecstatic in using only the best quality, safest, and non-mainstream products on their vehicles to keep them immaculate.

I'm one of the few crazies ya'll will ever meet in life: I try and go against trends and conformity to best suit my lifestyle (I base a lot of my purchases on where things are made, and what they are made of; I rarely base my purchases on price).

For example, to this date (I'm 21); I've refused to use certain personal care/grooming products, such deodorant, because of their toxic ingredients (such as aluminum based antiperspirants). I don't do extraneous enough work that requires me to use deodorant, but I'm looking to get into manufacturing, and may need some soon.

Now with the expansion of the free market thanks to the internet, I've become curious if there are companies out there much like autogeek, except for things personal care/grooming products that are safe alternatives to the scary-crap that is readily available.

Probably a weird question; but do any of ya'll purchase personal care products from non-big-branded-mainstream companies like you do your auto-care supplies?

Ted S.
10-30-2011, 02:39 PM
what is that on your avatar?

My cat. He really isn't purple.

mwtaco
10-30-2011, 02:40 PM
oh i deleted my message cuz i figured it out as i was typing it. looking at it presuming it is right side up is disturbing. like a deformed animal. upside down it is cute.

jocassee
10-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I use Burts Bees lip balm cause its organic....i think..........:confused:

Ted S.
10-30-2011, 02:46 PM
I use Burts Bees lip balm cause its organic....i think..........:confused:

I think all Burt's Bees stuff is natural/organic. I remember accidently walking into an alternative health store in WV a few weeks ago, they had tons of Burt's Bees stuff. Here I was thinking they only made lip balm.

(EDIT):

I really like the layout of their website as well. Thanks for this suggestion.

Burt's Bees - Natural Skin Care, Natural Beauty and Natural Personal Care Products (http://www.burtsbees.com/)

I only have one problem with their deodorant: CORN!

Natural Skin Care for Men Deodorant- Burt's Bees (http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/body-men-s-body/natural-skin-care-men-deodorant.html)

embolism
10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
I've seen this large pink rock at Noah's Foods in Toronto that I believe is supposed to be used as a deodorant.

I've never asked about it and it may just be a hunk of Himalayan rock salt for all I know but maybe it's an option?

Bacon
10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Kiehl's and Zirh's Product Line..they make me look young and handsome! I spend about as much as car products as I do on grooming products!

:dblthumb2:

Bacon

PS: good thread

oldmodman
10-30-2011, 05:41 PM
I have been getting a lot of stuff for free.

Part of my warehouse has been rented out to the company that puts on the beach volleyball competitions. And they have mountains of give away stuff from their sponsors. And when the contract with a sponsor runs out all that sponsors stuff goes into the dumpsters.

I have a multi-lifetime supply of chapstix (from a cancelled Fox TV show), a couple of hundred deodorant sticks, twenty cases of cheapo champagne (actually sparkling wine since it's not from France), a couple of hundred pairs of cheap flip-flops, more pens than I could even count, some kind of color changing hair spray (must be for tennie-bopper girls), and an astonishing variety of "feminine hygiene products".

And being the cheapskate that I am I will almost always use something I got for free before I run out and buy something else.

ScottB
10-30-2011, 06:42 PM
I seem to remember some organic salt type stick or product used as a safe deoterant. It might have been more related to anti-persperant however which is often the main challenge.

Flash Gordon
10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I use Megs APC for soap, PS21 for shampoo and Collinite 845 for deodorant

pixelmonkey
10-30-2011, 08:53 PM
monkey. watch national geographic for details

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Rav777
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
I shop at Vitamin Shoppe for my work out supplements, deodorant, and even sunscreen (which apparently can cause cancer as well).

They sell deodorant and suncreen without the harmful chemicals.

Flannigan
10-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Wow, I had no idea that deodorant/antiperspirants contained harmful chemicals! Just did s bunch of reading on the topic...kinda scary.

Bacon
10-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Scary?

How about mercury tooth filling's
Tap Water
Refined Sugar
Pesticdes
Mercury In Fish
Sugar Free Soda
Canned Foods

and more...so much more...google that!

:props:

Bacon

FUNX650
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
@ Ted.....Just my thoughts.....Nothing Personal

Everyone here is fairly ecstatic in using only the best quality, safest, and non-mainstream products on their vehicles to keep them immaculate.

IMO...Not every "non-mainstream" car care product is of the best quality,and are "safe"...dependent upon whose marketing one believes or not. That and checking out MSDS, for example.

For example, to this date (I'm 21); I've refused to use certain personal care/grooming products, such deodorant, because of their toxic ingredients (such as aluminum based antiperspirants).

The FDA did ban aluminum zirconium in aerosol antiperspirants/deodorants, but this ingredient remains safe for use in stick form. My advice: Don't huff any old aerosol spray deodorants (like Gillette Right Guard)

I don't do extraneous enough work that requires me to use deodorant,

You didn't get all sweaty and sticky when you were/are working on that old Ford Bronco?

but I'm looking to get into manufacturing, and may need some soon.

You wouldn't want everybody in the office/breakroom to get up and leave when you walked in, now would you?

Now with the expansion of the free market thanks to the internet, I've become curious if there are companies out there much like autogeek, except for things personal care/grooming products that are safe alternatives to the scary-crap that is readily available.

Start here: goodguide.com/categories/153026-deodorants-antiperspirants##products

You sound so European. Perhaps French?

I bet your family, friends, associates are glad you don't suffer from Axillary Hyperhydrosis

There's probably some very harmful/hazardous ingredients in most everyday items...like food, clothing, auto emissions, manufacturing plants' air quality, and personal hygiene products...including shampoos and bath soaps. {I wonder: What's your take on those}

That doesn't mean I'm not averse to their existence, but it also doesn't mean I will not use some FDA approved products for my personal hygiene...some are practices from my youth, even! My choice. So far, my cleanliness has netted me quite a few different ladies.

I (and I bet a whole lot of other folks) truly dread the day when I start having/retaining that "Old-Man-Smell." :
I've tried my very best to delay having that "aroma".!!

As first mentioned above, and speaking of European (and no offense intended to anyone):

-Why do the French like smelly cheeses?
Well, in a room full of French people, you can't really smell the cheese.

- What is the difference between a Frenchwoman and a basketball team?
The basketball team showers after 4 periods.

-Why do the French smell?
So even blind people can hate them too!

-Why do the French, and other Europeans, never perform the wave at a soccer game?
Hey Ted...."Raise Your Hand If You're Sure" :D

J/K, my good man....You do what pleases you...And I hope you live to be around 117 years old!!

:)

Bob