PDA

View Full Version : G110V2 cord replacement tutorial w/photos

Pages : 1 [2] 3

C. Charles Hahn
10-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Very informative! Also, nice trick with the wirenuts. Before I saw that you sealed them I was thinking "Oh no, he's not going to leave them like that." However, I would recommend those who are capable of soldering do that instead and heat-shrink it.

Then again, if they are that comfortable with soldering they have probably done this already!

Only problem with that is I have seen solder joints break under stress/vibration, so over time it could become a problem.

Nothing wrong with a little clear epoxy. :xyxthumbs:

opie_7afe
10-30-2011, 01:07 AM
very nice work! glad to see there easy to take apart!, one tip for the not so mechanically or electrically inclined is when your putting wires into anything that is held down by a screw/screw+plate bend the wire into a U shape and place the wire so when you tighten the screw clockwise it will draw the wire in with the screw and wrap around the screw threads so there's no possibility of those coming off if you tug on power cord or you pull it out of socket by mistake...but great work dave! will help with the hassle of having to send it back and wait. good luck to the guys who will do this repair. one question dave, as my brain is fogged right now isn't it the longer the cord you want to use you need thicker gauge wire? say if for some odd reason someone wants 150ft of cord for a polisher...but my guess is even at 16AWG 150foot would be fine for 5 amps...im wondering why polishers aren't grounded. seems like it would be beneficial but i'm just thinking out loud! i have no clue of electrical engineering, i can solder circuit boards so i guess i have that going for me! guess if my detailing biz fails i can always resort to extracting gold from circuit boards! LOL just kidding about that of course!

tuscarora dave
10-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Yes that is correct. the longer the cord length the heavier guage you should use. My cords are 14 guage because I run a minimum of 150 feet to get down to my driveway when I detail cars here at the house. I plug into a simple 15 amp circuit in the living room and can run any of my tools with amperage to spare. I once figured out the formulation for running a 10 amp load through 200 feet of 14 guage cord on that 15 amp circuit that included the length of the house circuit to the panel box. My boss figured it out using his little black engineers pocket facts book and there was power to spare so I went with it and haven't had any issues yet.

Bunky
10-30-2011, 05:25 AM
The quick connect crimps style (where you insert the wires into a link and then crimp(compress on wire) )can work as well in lieu of twist nuts or soldering for splicing two wires together.

BillE
10-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Simply OUTSTANDING!

Your write-up is REALLY gonna help those who have had their V2s poop out.

Be sure you give your pup an extra kibble or two, she for sure helped you some.

Bill

tuscarora dave
10-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Simply OUTSTANDING!

Your write-up is REALLY gonna help those who have had their V2s poop out.

Be sure you give your pup an extra kibble or two, she for sure helped you some.

Bill

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/polisher%20repair%20tutorial/005-1.jpg

louie
11-04-2011, 11:56 AM
A couple tips when using wire nuts:

strip the wires about a 1/4" more than you need,
use a pair of pliers to grab the loose ends of the copper and twist tightly,
trim the twisted pair to length needed, and
finally install the wire nut.
Give the wire nut a good tug to make sure it is on there good.

Thanks for the write up Dave, I'm sure it will help many!

rcomito
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Awesome tutorial Dave. Thank you.

Rick

kimtyson
11-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice job, as usual, Dave. That DA is better than new and should last a while. Really nice write up.

I'd also like to say that I met Dave while he was out and about looking for the cord. (I helped him with his hard drive virus issue. But that's another thread.) Dave was not willing to just settle with what Lowes had in stock and he made an additional trip to get the right cord. If anyone ever needs anything from Dave they can be rest assured that he always does his best. And he is a real good guy, too.

mark58
11-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Great instructional write up!
You should buy up all the bad returned Polishers and recycle them.:props:

umi000
11-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Nice write-up - great detailed instructions and pictures, which I'm sure will help anyone who find themselves in a similar situation of needing to replace the power cord on G110v2.

feslope
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Good job Dave. You did not mention if you cut the replacement cord to 40' feet or not. If you did, add a plug to the cut end and you will have a 10' extension cord. If you are adding a longer cord to a new tool you can add a socket to the removed cord and have an extension cord. If you have never had to look for an extension cord you may ignore my tips. :dblthumb2:

Old Tiger
11-04-2011, 05:48 PM
This is a great article and I dont even own a G110! Very well written and photographed!

rwisejr
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Nice write up Dave . Very Detailed and easy for anyone to understand.

tuscarora dave
11-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Good job Dave. You did not mention if you cut the replacement cord to 40' feet or not. If you did, add a plug to the cut end and you will have a 10' extension cord. If you are adding a longer cord to a new tool you can add a socket to the removed cord and have an extension cord. If you have never had to look for an extension cord you may ignore my tips. :dblthumb2:
Hi Fred, Thanks for the tip on the 10' cord. Actually when I picked up the 2 prong heavy duty plug end to go on the polisher I also picked up a home owner grade 3 prong plug end to do exactly that. There have been many times I needed just about 10' of extension and instead rolled out a 50 footer. It's nice to see you posting again. It seems I haven't seen you around much.