PDA

View Full Version : Temperature for Opti-Coat?

Sunstealer
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Are there any temperature guidelines for Opti-Coat? I am building a new shop and planned on a full detail and OC application on my Audi S4 before winter hits. The temps are already going down though and I won't be moving in for at least a couple of weeks. What's the lowest temp that will allow OC to cure properly?

dougaross
10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know the actual min temperature. The solvents will flash withing 2 minutes, you can wet it after one hour, fully cured withing 12 hours above 50 degrees.

CEE DOG
10-29-2011, 04:54 PM
I believe it's 50 degrees. I haven't dealt with low temps myself... Only high temps. I applied it in high 90s even... Chris has something rather than repeating it as if it's my knowledge I found that quote for you.

Per Chris of Optimum:

Although heat will improve hardness and reduce cure time, the actual application temp needs to be 50-85 degrees to prevent early solvent flash that will significantly reduce working time. At higher temps, you would have to work in sections instead of panels and from my experience, you want to do a panel at a time.

Chris Thomas
10-29-2011, 04:56 PM
50-90 degrees is the recommended range. You'll have to work faster or in smaller sections at higher temps and it's not recommended at lower temps.

C. Charles Hahn
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
50-90 degrees is the recommended range. You'll have to work faster or in smaller sections at higher temps and it's not recommended at lower temps.

Those are panel temps, not ambient temps correct?

Sunstealer
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys, looks like I need to finish up before temps get down below 50 or wait until the spring for the coating.