PDA

View Full Version : Applying optimum opti-coat

scalpel
10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
So first of all I have a black lexus GS that I keep polished using a flex vrg3401 + 3M products + supranatural wax . I thought I'd try optimum opti-coat 2.0 but , when cleaning my car with IPA , my mirror finished car , gets scratched no matter what I use , cosmetics cotton & numerous clean towels that I have .
I need you guys to recommend towels / pads for application & cleaning with IPA
PS the included pad is way to rough on my paint !!

embolism
10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
no need to use IPA

probably doesn't have enough lubrication to prevent marring. There are many other things you can try but the best for your situation may be to polish with optimum hyperpolish then wipe with a damp mf and you are ready for opticoat.

there are other applicators you can use including the carpro suede cloths wrapped around a foam block.

See this thread for an applicator idea I got from Anthony:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/41962-opticoated-jeep.html

mjlinane
10-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago on a black Lexus IS300 with super-soft paint. (Also had trouble with MF lint.) Wound up using a gold CCS pad with no resulting marring.

Bought some Carpro Suede MF for the next time (both wipedown and application) and Eraser. Not sure if that is the answer.

scalpel
11-05-2011, 12:28 PM
thanks guys , unfortunatly am oncall through the coming 9 weekends so am going to have to postpone doing my car by then i should get the a couple of new 3M green towels , 10 JODs each ~ 14USDs . They seem to work best from experience so i geuss they're worth it ...any more tricks would be handy

SameGuy
11-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Dinars?

Welcome to the forum!

scalpel
11-06-2011, 04:49 PM
yep Jordanian Dinars ....a fellow amateur detailer from overseas :Picture:

crxman2010
11-07-2011, 10:39 PM
I didn't not use a machine because I didn't have much correcting to do, but if you run with optimums compound/polish line, in my case Polish II, there is no need for anything but rinse/wiping down with wet microfiber then drying before applying opti-coat.

Opti-Coat Acura TL (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/42705-2012-acura-tl-6mt-optimum-opti-coat.html)

For towels in the wiping and drying stage after polish I used, Rolled Edge Microfiber (http://www.autogeek.net/super-soft-microfiber-towels.html), really like them, had good luck with them so far.

For the actual opti-coat application I used a brand new washed generic microfiber from Sams Club. After the application the towel was given to the wife to add to the in house collecion. I washed the applicator I used and that will be demoted to opti-coating the next wheels I do. I didn't want to risk scratching the paint with some cured opti-coat if it wasn't all removed from fibers. At this point your car is very clean and your not using any pressure really, plus I was planning on disposing of the towel so I did not want to use a good one.

CEE DOG
11-08-2011, 09:06 AM
probably doesn't have enough lubrication to prevent marring. There are many other things you can try but the best for your situation may be to polish with optimum hyperpolish then wipe with a damp mf and you are ready for opticoat.

there are other applicators you can use including the carpro suede cloths wrapped around a foam block.

:iagree:

LegacyGT
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I just applied Opti-Guard over the weekend using the carpro block and suede MF, and thought it went really smoothly.

You may need some dedicated towels for your final surface prep, and the addition of something to lubricate the surface a bit - I see you are using IPA, however you may want to try Eraser or glass cleaner and see if they yield better results.