PDA

View Full Version : 1z Anti-Frost Washer Fluid dilution ratio

newb001
10-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I need some help figuring out how to mix up my bottle of 1z Anti Frost concentrate (I have the 33.8 fl oz / 1 liter bottle)

The Autogeek website (Einszett Anti-frost Washer Fluid, Einszett windshield washer fluid, antifreeze washerfluid, glass cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/einszett-anti-frost-washer-fluid.html)) says:

Mixing Ratios:
1.5 parts Anti-Frost + 1 part water....-20°F
1 part Anti-Frost + 1 part water.......... -5°F
1 part Anti-Frost + 2 parts water........11°F
1 part Anti-Frost + 3 parts water........18°F

The 1Z website says:

http://i.imgur.com/PQ4eT.jpg

So question 1 is, why the slightly different #'s? The 1Z website & bottle do have an asterisk for California users, so perhaps the different is due to the that?

Anyway, more importantly is question 2. I'm in the NYC area so I really only need protection down to the single digits. Occasionally it gets near 0 or maybe slightly below, but that's really only with the wind chill and only a couple times each winter. So I guess I'm looking at the 1 part AF + 2 parts water (protection down to 7 degrees according to 1Z website and 11 degrees per AG).

So to confirm, a 1:2 ratio would mean that I pour the entire bottle (33.8 ounces) into 67.6 ounces of water (approximately 1/2 gallon). Correct? I don't know why I always get brain freeze on simple dilutions...

I've asked these questions of 1Z as well and will post back with any response, but figured I'd check with you guys and see how you're mixing it up for the NYC area.

Thanks!

newb001
10-29-2011, 01:47 PM
If I'm correct in that I add all 33.8 ounces of AF to a half gallon of water, that would put the cost at about $10/gallon. That seems high, right?

A bottle of Kristall Klar (which is 3x to 4x smaller than the AF) makes 7 gallons.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something, or is winter washing fluid really that much more money? In the past I've never worried about this stuff and just had them top it off at my oil changes. But with my new Audi I like to make sure everything I put in it is top-quality.

dougaross
10-29-2011, 02:01 PM
If I'm correct in that I add all 33.8 ounces of AF to a half gallon of water, that would put the cost at about $10/gallon. That seems high, right?

A bottle of Kristall Klar (which is 3x to 4x smaller than the AF) makes 7 gallons.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing something, or is winter washing fluid really that much more money? In the past I've never worried about this stuff and just had them top it off at my oil changes. But with my new Audi I like to make sure everything I put in it is top-quality.

Correct. Right. Ridiculously expensive. Get a gallon of windshield anti-freeze fluid $1.49(available almost anywhere) and add 1 oz of Kristall Klar. It is colder here and I have never had problems.

BTW you can also use P21S Washer Booster (http://www.autogeek.net/p2winwasboos.html)

newb001
10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Get a gallon of windshield anti-freeze fluid $1.49(available almost anywhere) and add 1 oz of Kristall Klar.

Thanks. I'll definitely give that a try!

dougaross
10-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Get a gallon of windshield anti-freeze fluid $1.49(available almost anywhere) and add 1 oz of Kristall Klar. It is colder here and I have never had problems.

BTW you can also use P21S Washer Booster (http://www.autogeek.net/p2winwasboos.html)

I'm correcting a quick reply. The actual mix ratio for Kristall Klar is 1:100. Therefore it is actual 1.28 oz/gallon(128 oz)

newb001
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Get a gallon of windshield anti-freeze fluid $1.49(available almost anywhere) and add 1 oz of Kristall Klar.

Follow-up question: I recently had an oil change and they (Audi dealer) topped up my washer fluid (which had a somewhat full tank of distilled water/Kristall Klar). I don't know what they put in (winter fluid or regular)

Am I able to just add a bit of the 1z anti frost washer fluid to the tank to help against freezing? Or am I better off draining/using what's in the tank, and then refilling with an otc winter washer fluid with some kristall klar mixed in (or make up a batch of water/1z anti frost).

Thanks.

dougaross
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
They almost certainly used a winter mix. I always mix up a batch of winter washer fluid water and Klar. I would just use what's in the tank and add Klar mix as necessary.

littleblackcar
12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Do you prefer Kristallklar over otc blue stuff?

dougaross
12-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Do you prefer Kristallklar over otc blue stuff?
Absolutely, blue stuff has no cleaning

littleblackcar
12-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Absolutely, blue stuff has no cleaning

So in the winter (like now!), just use blue stuff with Klar mixed in?