PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with back issues ... how do you manage?

Pages : [1] 2

Wes8398
10-28-2011, 05:22 AM
So ... I just did my first 'paint correction' yesterday and WOW is my lower back ****ed!! I'm still a pretty young guy at 29, and I'm also a regular at the gym and in above average shape, so it's hard to believe that polishing a car is causing me this much pain. I do however live with chronic back issues due to a herniated L4/L5 disk, and MAN did this job ever flare that up!! For those of you that do this as a career, day in and day out, how the hell do you do it?!?! I have to imagine you're putting these cars on lifts or something. If not, I'm dying to know your tips and tricks to doing this type of work without destroying your back. I found it nearly impossible to keep pressure off of my back when I was doing lower portions of side panels, etc...especially during the defect removal stage of things, where a fair amount of pressure is required on the DA.
Not long after I had started my wife came out to the garage, not knowing what I was doing, and saw a few panels part way done. All I heard was "Holy crap! What are you doing? That looks awesome!", and then of course she asked when I was going to do her car. LOL So, if there are any tips out there from my fellow back-pain-ridden friends, I'd love to hear 'em!!

cutter
10-28-2011, 06:17 AM
For me, I'm 49 with a history of back and knee problems...just your general everyday aches and pains. My Dr. has me on a mild pain killer, on the lower panels I will turn a five gallon bucket upside down,, and on the under panels I will use my creeper. One thing I have found that helps me, is a "mental reminder" to check my posture. Also, when you feel yourself getting tight and sore, take a short break and stretch. All this helps me to keep going.

Good Luck and take care of that back!!!

fredcandetail
10-28-2011, 06:27 AM
Polishing isn't all that bad after a while .. Might be a little tough on the shoulders every so often especially when I do boats and RVs due to holding the rotary suspended for hours but what does get to be a pita is doing interiors when you have to be hunched over vacuuming or cleaning seats etc ... That's what still kicks my ace every so often ... WhT we do at our shop because it is a known issue is alternate.. One day a guy is on interiors and the other exteriors. Another little thing I do or one of the guys picked up was stretching their back with one of those round yoga balls... The arch their backs and stretch out ...they say it helps

SeaJay's
10-28-2011, 06:59 AM
I am also a younger guy (28) and have lived with chronic back pain since I was about 16.

When I'm polishing paint or even just cleaning and I feel my back start to tighten up I take a break and stretch.

I always ensure I'm taking a break every hour or so. Sitting on something like a bucket or a low seat definitely helps when polishing lower panels. I also have a back brace that I sometimes wear if my back is bothering me.

BobbyG
10-28-2011, 07:08 AM
I am also a younger guy (28) and have lived with chronic back pain since I was about 16.

When I'm polishing paint or even just cleaning and I feel my back start to tighten up I take a break and stretch.

I always ensure I'm taking a break every hour or so. Sitting on something like a bucket or a low seat definitely helps when polishing lower panels. I also have a back brace that I sometimes wear if my back is bothering me.

I think bending for long periods of time is unnatural for any of us we all tend to develop allot of tightness there when working.

Jason's touched on a very important point. :props:

Stretching is so important in order to relieve some of this tightness. An occasional hot patch found at most stores also can apply heat to this area and the additional warmth keeps those muscles from tightening up as well.

LegacyGT
10-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Interesting to hear you have L4/L5 issues, I have a fusion in that exact spot. Make sure to use very good lifting technique, get a roller chair, and a knee pad so that you can keep your back as straight as possible. I also have a crazy creek camp chair (that sits flush to the ground w/ back support) for working on the lower sections of the car. For the really low stuff I lay horizontally on the ground - basically anything I can do to avoid being hunched over while polishing.

Even with all that my back still gets very tight & sore, and my best kept secret for relief is yoga. I found a really great sequence for triathletes (one of my other hobbies), and the difference 20min of yoga makes is night and day. Nothing else I have tried can get close to getting my back loosened up as that. PM me if you are interested in the specific series I use.

alko
10-28-2011, 07:17 AM
The only times my back really tightens up is when i'm doing the hood of the car and the roof because I'm stretching to reach those places. For the side panels, I'll either sit on my kreeper stool or I lay one of those furniture moving blankets on the ground and sit on the ground. But yes definitely take breaks and stretch. I try to remember to correct my posture at all times.

Matt S.
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
You guys with back pain should look into getting a foam roller or performing other kinds of soft tissue work. It really helps a lot. Better yet, look up an Active Release Therapist in your area and go for a few sessions. Addressing any imbalances will go a very long way, especially if you are not exercising / stretching regularly.

shoeless89
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm not very old (22) and I don't have serious back specific issues. But at this stage in my like I have already gone through two types of chemotherapy. I also have Crohn's disease so I know what its like to feel like $h!7. I tend to get really tired really fast so I take breaks as often as I can but usually my mind is saying (just one more section) before I take a break lol I just have a bucket or chair to sit on where available and lay on the ground if I'm doing the very bottom of the panels. I feel like as my technique has improved so had the physical factor of using a buffer. I don't have to fight with the polisher or concentrate (as hard) on arm speed, ect. So I feel like my body doesn't feel as out of place when I'm doing it; if that makes any sense at all lol

FUNX650
10-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I feel your pain....been a long-time sufferer of back-pain related issues.

I find that....

1.) Do proper stretching (during warm-up/cool-down) before performing back/core strengthening exercises...3-4 times a week
2.) Try to utilize good ergonomic practices while doing car-care/detailing (posture, lifting, reaching, etc.)
3.) Couple/combine the above with needed rest break periods while working
4.) Know your limitations

.....Seem to help somewhat. I've heard that acupunture is sometimes employed in/for pain therapy.:o

Also...I've heard that some people are using: Water-Therapy for pain relief! :D

[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4122944961711350389]Men's Synchronized Swimming[/video]

:)

Bob

01GreyStangGT
10-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Chiropractic adjustments can help. I have 2 patients who are detailers and it helps them.

oldmodman
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Eliminate the bending that hurts!

Buy a four post lift like I did. No bending for me and I had three discs worked on. Never been the same since.

But after getting my BendPak four post lift I can work under cars without any crawling around under the car.
And when it's paint correction time I just raise the car so I am always working right in front of me.:buffing: , NO STOOPING!

Jimmie
10-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Lower panels; wheel wells; wheels; and tires I use a mechanics seat on rollers. It's got a shelf for tools, and product so no getting-up.

Meghan
10-28-2011, 12:43 PM
I keep Salonpas in my bag at all times, they are great for all kinds of back pain!

Setec Astronomy
10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
You know, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was gonna be about how you guys are storing your old Car & Drivers.....