PDA

View Full Version : Intro new guy from Reading PA

Pages : [1] 2

Spiney
10-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Hi I joined here to learn because my wife and I bought a very well cared for 96 SVT Cobra Mustang in July. We want to keep it looking as good as it did when we bought it. And that's a challenge because it's black with a black leather interior. The previous owner babyed it keeping it in a climate controlled garage and driving it an average of 1500 miles a year. It had 39,400 on it when we got it. It does have some swirl marks and water spots. Otherwise it's in really great condition. We have it in the garage and under a cover but our garage is not heated. I was told it's best to use what the previous owner did so as to not mix products. So we interviewed him and found he used all Meguiars Gold class products. So I loaded up on Maguiars products and have been experimenting on our 98 Volvo and my 90 Ford Ranger with fresh paint. I don't have a DA buffer yet. It's on my Christmas list so I've been using what I have. Hand power and a Craftsman 10" random orbit buffer. The $39 type that I bought for $10 at a yard sale.

My ID is Spiney because I've had 3 back surgeries and one neck surgery. On top of that I developed tennis elbow this year on my dominant left arm. So I need to go low and slow when working on cars. It's a shame because I've always been a car guy. And I could see myself running a detail business if I was physically fit for it. But realistically it's all I can do to do our own. I'm sure having a real DA buffer will help. So that's it for now. I'm here to learn how to maintain a gloss black car and expand my knowledge from there. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

tw33k2514
10-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Welcome to AGO! The fact that you still want to detail your car with the struggles you have is amazing. I am sure you will find all the information and probably more that you are looking for.

Dr Oldz
10-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Welcome Spiney!! Reading....home of Maple Grove! Congrats on finding a nice stang! I am not too far from you(Hazleton) if you ever wanna stop by.

Ryan R
10-28-2011, 03:23 AM
Welcome!
Gee I'm quite close to the two of you. Bethlehem/Allentown area

SUGARCANE MAN
10-28-2011, 04:00 AM
Welcome to the forum hope to see some pics of your ride

DaHen
10-28-2011, 04:49 AM
:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

BobbyG
10-28-2011, 06:55 AM
:welcome: To Autogeek Online Dave!

Detailing is allot of fun and can be both satisfying and relaxing. It can be physically taxing but one nice aspect about detailing is you set your own pace.

I had the exact random orbit buffer you mention above. These seem to be right at home when removing waxes once they've hazed but unfortunately don't seem to possess the ability to correct. I ended up donating mine to my neighbors kid about 10 years ago..

Regarding surgeries;

I understand where you're coming from. I had open heart surgery 2 weeks ago and recovering from it is slow and takes time. I will get back to normal but it's be near Christmas so for now detailing is at a bear minimum.....

Pats300zx
10-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Welcome to AGO Dave !!!!

blckbrd
10-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Dave,
First, :welcome:. Wow you are probably only 15 minutes away from me...I'm in Limerick.

Black cars are a love/hate thing. I love them when they are clean and hate keeping them clean. My car in my avatar is going through its hibernation detail as we speak. It was very dirty. I usually don't drive the car in the rain, but I needed to due to my daily driver being down. I'm usually in North Coventry working on something automotive...either one of my cars, ATV, mini bikes, or someone else vehicle. Stop on down, if you like.

I here you on the back stuff....I have had back issues for 20+ years. I almost refuse to go thru surgery, just because I hate being laid up for a few days. I had one surgery and it was my shoulder. I could not fully use it for 6-8 weeks.

Ken

tuscarora dave
10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the site from the Harrisburg area. You can certainly learn a lot here at AGO. You'll get more mileage from the DA than you realize. Tennis elbow and hand polishing is something that i don't even want to try to imagine. Combining different brands of products that you use on your car is a non issue. Don't be afraid to use something better than what was used previously. You have an above average car and it deserves better than average products however, the fillers in Gold Class probably do work well on the swirls of an unperfected black finish. I have a feeling though that if you become a regular on this site and spend a few hundred bucks, your Cobra will be near perfect in a short amount of time.

budinsc
10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
welcome spiney! youll love this forum and learn a bunch.

budinsc

D.Acker
10-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Welcome! Congrats on the Cobra pickup, have always loved them.

ShaunD
10-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the addictions we call AutoGeek and detailing. Looks like you have met a few neighbors here already that can help you out. I will actually be close to your area in a couple days; sadly it is for my grandmother's funeral though. But I will probably be on my bike so I won't be able to bring my full detail kit with this time. I would be more than happy to stop by with a couple of easy to carry items/products that you could try out; to include Poorboy's World Black Hole Glaze. I will get in touch if it looks feasible to stop by. Again, welcome and hope some of us can help you out sometime to save your back and elbows.:)

Spiney
10-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Thank you all for the big welcome.

Dr Oldz: Yes I am near Maple Grove. We just took a country ride out there last Sunday. By the time we got there they only had about an hours worth of racing left and still wanted to charge us $15 each to get in so we passed. I hope to take my car out there on a grudge night and see what she will do. Previous owner said low 13's about 105mph. Very familiar with Hazelton I grew up in Frackville and as a kid went to Angela Park.

Tw33k2514: Yes I still want to detail my baby with the bad back. I do what I can and then pay for it in pain afterwards. I usually wear a back brace and lately an arm brace for the tennis elbow. The old rotary buffer does help to put on and take off wax. But It is not fast enough to get rid of waterspots and swirls. So there will be a DA in my future.

RyanR: I just passed though your way on Thursday. My wife and I had a photo studio before my back forced us to close. So I traveled via bus to NYC for a big Photography convention on Thursday. Between the bus ride and walking around the Javitts Center I was a hurting puppy when I got home. Plus it was cold and raining.

Bobby G: Sorry to hear about the heart operation. My dad had 4 brothers and all of them plus his dad had heart attacks so everytime I get chest pain, even though it's only usually gas my wife gets very worried. I'm 50. But I've had all off the tests and they say i'm good. So I hope so.

Blckbrd: Yes Limerick you are close. Just passed by there last night on 422/100. I play drums as the fill in guy in a band and we played last night in West Chester. I belong to the Berks County Mustang Club. They accept any ford enthusiast so Pm me if you might be interested in joining us. I always loved the t-birds from the mid 80's on up. Sorry to hear you have a bad back. If you can avoid surgery please do because most people don't see improvement. i didn't and i have been to the best in Philly and Hopkins in Baltimore.

Shawn D: Sorry to hear about your Gram. My Wife's Gram just passed away about 3 weeks ago just short of her 97th birthday. So I know what your facing. Thank you for the very kind offer to stop by with some goodies and knowledge. I"m very opened to that.let me know if you pass by this way.

tuscarora Dave: My Wife's Dad lives in Enhaut and her brothers in Hi-Spire so we get to that area fairly regularly. I'l have to look Etters up on the map.

Think that covers everyone. My pain causes severe insomnia. I've been awake since Friday afternoon. You'll see I usually post in the middle of the A.M.

Like all of you on the East Coast we got about an early snow today. My wife is really bummed because she thinks the Cobra may be corralled till Spring. I hope not. Garage is not heated so I can't even detail her. Thought about buying a torpedo heater but I'm not sure they mix well with detailing. The garage is an old wooden one with no insulation.

Well for now I think that covers it. Open to suggestions on a DA buffer. Been thinking about the Porter Cable since they seem to be so universally represented here. I have to learn about the different pads. I did download the Detailing E-book last week when it was on sale. So I'll see what it has to say about pads.

Thanks again, Spiney-Dave

tuscarora dave
10-30-2011, 12:35 AM
tuscarora Dave: My Wife's Dad lives in Enhaut and her brothers in Hi-Spire so we get to that area fairly regularly. I'l have to look Etters up on the map.
When i was born until I was 5 years old we lived in a house in Highspire. Very familiar with Enhaut, knew some folks from there. You likely won't see Etters on the map as it is a mailing address for the Lewisberry/Newberrytown area and not really a town.

Open to suggestions on a DA buffer. Been thinking about the Porter Cable since they seem to be so universally represented here. I have to learn about the different pads. I did download the Detailing E-book last week when it was on sale. So I'll see what it has to say about pads.

Thanks again, Spiney-Dave

I like the G110V2 for a traditional DA but i normally reach for my rotary or Flex 3401 first. I seem to see more reports of spindle failures on the PCXP than on the original PC 7424. The Griot's polisher seems to be inconsistent on it's power. One more powerful than the next and the early models were flying apart but it seems that they got that issue worked out now. The G110V2 has power cord issues but it's an easy fix and the machine itself is a work horse for a DA. I used to say it was very underpowered but later found out that my lack of technique in using it was preventing the machine from performing as designed. I would get the G110V2 and plan on doing a cord replacement when the cord craps out. Here is a cord replacement tutorial that I just put together that will help with that.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/42550-g110v2-cord-replacement-tutorial-w-photos.html