PDA

View Full Version : Micro Marring

Show20
10-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Working with my 2007 Black Yukon Denali
I have an issue with what i assume is micro marring on the coating surface after i am finished buffing.

I am using a Porter Cable 7424XP, Black LC pad, and XMT ultra Fine polish #1 for the final stage before sealant application.
I am using the brinkman xenon inspection light and can see these tiny almost swirls that seem to always be there.

Do i need to go with even a finer polish and softer pad yet?
One thing i was possibly thinking, is with the diminishing abrasives, i may have been underworking the polish.

How can i tell if i have worked the polish long enough?

M0nk3y
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
The polish should turn to it's color and eventually work over to a clear finish to where you can't see it anymore. When this happens, you shouldn't need to remove much polish with your MF towel.

How long are you working each panel and on what speed?

Show20
10-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes.

I guess i have always been scared to overwork the polish. Is this something that also causes issues?

Show20
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh and i start with speed 3 to spread it over the panel, then work it at speed 5.
I usually go over it 3-4 times.

lkotsios
10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Try 85rd its the only thing that finishes without marring, and I have tried megs 205, blackfire gep, zaino all in one, prima amigo, autoglym srp, menzerna 115, this is all on a 93 red corvette. I know what you mean with those tiny fine little swirls I can only see mine in the sunlight.

M0nk3y
10-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Somewhere between 3 and 5 minutes.

I guess i have always been scared to overwork the polish. Is this something that also causes issues?

You won't overwork with a PC. It takes awhile to do it

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk