PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

auch
02-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone, I just recently purchased a 2001 BMW 325i and would like some advice on how best to take care of it. I've never detailed a car before and the only way I washed my previous car was to take it through the automatic car wash. I want to take better care of my BMW though.

I live in Phoenix, AZ so I'll need products that will protect my car from the sun. This car is also my daily driver and I'll be putting on around 300 miles per week of mostly freeway driving.

Would somebody mind glancing over my shopping list and make recommendations?

Washing / Drying
Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds Concentrated Car Wash
The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave By Cobra 20 x 40
White/Yellow ShMITT Wash Mitt

Wheels
P21S Wheel Cleaner-*Gel 500ml. (16.9 oz.)
DP Wheel Glaze
OXO Ergonomic Wheel Brush

Vinyl
Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing

Leather
Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner
Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner

I'll need to get some microfiber towels and maybe a vent brush also. I haven't listed any clay or wax because the exterior of the car seemed to have been recently detailed. I will probably purchase clay and wax later.

Is there anything I've overlooked or do I have too much of a certain thing? I'd like to stay under $150 for this first purchase if possible.

Thank you!
Daniel

abrcrombe
02-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Looks like you have decided on some very good products. How long do you think it will be until you buy a wax? If the dealer detailed it, I doubt their protection will last very long. You can look at cheaper waxes that give you good looks and protection. Poorboy's Natty's Blue is one of my favorites. Good luck, let us know if you need anything else.

quantim0
02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
The P21s wheel gel is really good but really expensive. I like the DP wheel gel for wheels that aren't caked in dust or extremely fragile. I have used that to take off some really nasty stuff without damage to any rim.

I would at least get a wax or sealant. If you want something with good quality but inexpensive try Poorboy's Natty paste wax. It is highly regarded as one of the best waxes for the money. This will keep your paint protected from UV and other daily assaults on your paint.

auch
02-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'll take a look at the Natty's Blue wax. Is it fairly easy to apply by hand and how often would I need to reapply?

I've got quite a bit of dust on my wheels but can't tell if need the P21s wheel gel. Is there some way I can determine whether or not I'll be able to use a less expensive wheel cleaner?

Also, there are a couple of rock chips in the paint on the hood I'd like to fix. What is your all's experience with using touchup paint or would I be better of paying someone to do it for me? And should I fix the paint before waxing?

Thanks again!

quantim0
02-15-2007, 12:56 AM
I haven't used the PB Natty wax, but I hear it is really good. I will be picking up a container in the next few weeks though to try out. Most carnaubas last 3-4 weeks. Most people, including me, use a sealant under a carnauba. The sealant will last 3 months minimum. Then the carauba on top completes the look.

If you have a lot of dust on your rims you might as well get the P21s cleaner. Then seal them up with the wheel glaze and the dust will wash right off with soap and water. Just keep them sealed up and you'll be fine. If you want to purchase a less expensive gel cleaner at a later date that would be the way to go. Actually that's exactly what I did.

abrcrombe
02-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Natty's blue is VERY easy to use by hand, although not the EASIEST. but still easy! Reapply maybe once a month for optimal results. I would say, get the cheaper DP wheel gel cleaner. There hasn't been anything that I have encountered that can't be cleaned with it.
Rock chips, I would wait a little so they can be done right. Totoland has lots of experience with BMW's and rock chips, hopefully he can chime in. You can wax over the chips, no problems!

auch
02-15-2007, 02:05 AM
I went ahead and swapped the P21s for the DP wheel gel to take advantage of the DP wheel special. I also added the PB Natty's Blue and EX Sealant.

I'm not totally sold on what to get for a leather cleaner and conditioner. Can I get good results with something cheaper like the PB Leather Stuff?

Thanks!

supercharged
02-15-2007, 02:51 AM
I went ahead and swapped the P21s for the DP wheel gel to take advantage of the DP wheel special. I also added the PB Natty's Blue and EX Sealant.

I'm not totally sold on what to get for a leather cleaner and conditioner. Can I get good results with something cheaper like the PB Leather Stuff?

Thanks!
Two separate steps will give you better results. You could also look at Four Star leather cleaner and conditioner. I never used Poorboy's Leather Stuff.
As for paint I would also add PwS, as AIO.

Surfer
02-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Auch - I would use EX-P over EX.

ScottB
02-15-2007, 04:53 PM
gotta get a qd'er for spills and added pizzazz. Poorboys Spray Gloss, Duragloss 921, and Pinnacle CM are nice choices.

Maybe just pickup the Poorboys kit at 79.99 and add the soap and the interior cleaner to start. Under 100.00 or so !

Nuke33
02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Looks good id add a wax and/or a sealent

auch
02-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Can I apply PB PwS or a similar polish by hand with good results? Also, about how long would it take a total beginner to do a full wash+polish+wax?

Thanks! (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-sealant.html)

abrcrombe
02-16-2007, 08:00 PM
You won't get very good results by hand. Hold off on swirl removal until you get the right tools do it. A beginner with the PC, leave about 6 hours or more! Finding the right combos are the hardest to learn, and comes with experience.

auch
02-16-2007, 09:18 PM
OK, I don't think I want to invest the money in a PC yet. I might look into that later perhaps. In that case I wouldn't need to purchase a polish then, would I? I should still use a sealant and a wax combo though, right?

Thanks again!

6LS2
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
OK, I don't think I want to invest the money in a PC yet. I might look into that later perhaps. In that case I wouldn't need to purchase a polish then, would I? I should still use a sealant and a wax combo though, right?

Thanks again!

Wash,Clay,Polish,Seal,Wax