PDA

View Full Version : Antique Turtle Wax with Brillium

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mike Phillips
10-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Antique Turtle Wax with Brillium (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/42467-antique-turtle-wax-brillium.html)

Here's a unique old bottle of Turtle Wax that I have in my antique car wax collection. I actually have a full page newspaper add, (both sides of a opened newspaper), for this bottle of Turtle Wax from 1950. It's interesting in that the ink for the ad is both black and green. Something I would guess is kind of rare in a newspaper from 1950.

By the way, the bottle touts that the wax contains Brillium

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/21950TurtleWax2.jpg

Someone need an Avatar?

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/21950TurtleWaxAvatar.jpg

:)

Porsche Pilot
10-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I just had to know what Brillium was. Google turned up nothing. Looks like some great marketing by TW. Were "space age polymers" available back then? Very cool bottle!

forrest@mothers
10-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Were "space age polymers" available back then?

Space age polymers? There wasn't even a space age in 1950. Sputnik was launced in 1957.

Larry A
10-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Brillium--- some sort of silicone.

FUNX650
10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Another memorable car care product you have there Mike.:props:

Hmmm...Brillium

The etymology of modern words (even those introduced in the "modern" 1950's) can often be traced back to Greek/Latin roots, combined with up-to-date nomenclatures.

For example:

1.) Since most metal elements end in: -ium...Greek/Latin assignment...(ex.aluminium. per: most chemist-speak around the world, changed to aluminum in the USA)....
2.) And the acknowledgment of the excellent shine induced by the use of Brillo on metals such as aluminium (aluminum).

Hence:, Turtle Wax's Madison Avenue Ad Campaign:

"You won't be disappointed with our new Turtle Wax with Brillium....It'll make your car shine like new aluminum pots and pans"!!!

Just a theory.

Or...Then again....I may just be full of Beryllium (among other crap). :D

Bob

Setec Astronomy
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Eh...I would think that the "brill" part relates to the "brilliant" shine you will get, which may apply to Brillo as well.

PS FUNX725, if you put that 4-monitors-wide graphic of the old wax ads into this thread, I'm going to kill you! LOL

FUNX650
10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
PS FUNX725, if you put that 4-monitors-wide graphic of the old wax ads into this thread, I'm going to kill you! LOL

LOL...I don't know how that happened! :confused:

Bob

Flannigan
10-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Thats really cool Mike. I have a small collection of antique car care products as well, but nothing like this one!

Mike Phillips
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
LOL...I don't know how that happened! :confused:

Bob

Just in case you're not kidding...

After inserting a photo... press on the [Enter] key once or twice and this will force the next picture below the previous pictures. :D

Thats really cool Mike. I have a small collection of antique car care products as well, but nothing like this one!

Thanks... it is rather unique... I wish I had the full newspaper ad for it here in Florida, if I did I would take a picture and share it too... alas it's in SoCal in storage with a lot of other old car stuff...

FUNX650
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Just in case you're not kidding...

After inserting a photo... press on the [Enter] key once or twice and this will force the next picture below the previous pictures. :D

No, I wasn't kidding...And I really do appreciate the this tip!!

{My old monitor, also, isn't quite wide enough for what I thought was my "expert" picture-loading-techniques.} :laughing:

Thanks again.

Bob

IndeedSS
10-27-2011, 12:29 PM
BRILLIUM - Reviews & Brand Information - Turtle Wax, Inc. Chicago, IL - Serial Number: 73373316 (http://www.trademarkia.com/brillium-73373316.html)

LIFE - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=h1YEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA89&lpg=PA89&dq=Turtle+wax+%22with+brillium%22&source=bl&ots=vypgDf7fId&sig=-g3umoUgNPCpDPzutE3ppSUyhRA&hl=en&ei=kJSpTrPLIoWjsQKf8bHEDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Turtle%20wax%20%22with%20brillium%22&f=false)

Thought it was interesting.

TLMitchell
10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
By the way, the bottle touts that the wax contains Brillium

Wasn't that in the hair goop that was better than greasy kid stuff?

Max is missing the boat. He needs a catchy secret ingredient. I can just see the next batch of Fuzion emblazoned with:

"CONTAINS 100% UNOBTAINIUM"

TL

Old Pirate
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I do remember seeing a bottle of it in my Dad's car in the early 60's with J-Wax also.

IndeedSS
10-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Wasn't that in the hair goop that was better than greasy kid stuff?

Max is missing the boat. He needs a catchy secret ingredient. I can just see the next batch of Fuzion emblazoned with:

"CONTAINS 100% UNOBTAINIUM"

TL

LOL Brylcreem

Old Pirate
10-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Man, Brylcreem............is that still around?