PDA

View Full Version : PC7424xp VS Griots VS Shurhold VS Meguiar's G110.

supercharged
10-27-2011, 07:01 AM
I will be getting a DA for a friend of mine. I upgraded to Flex VRG3401 and Makita rotary a few years ago and never looked back, but he is a newbie and something with a less learning curve. So far I'm leaning towards Griots because it's the most powerful one. Am I leaning in the right direction? Or will I be better off with PC 7424xp or other listed machines? Also, is Griots comes with a 6" backing plate that is replacable? Will it work with 5.5" pads?
Thanks in advance.

shoeless89
10-27-2011, 07:09 AM
For sure Griot's or PC. Both have their pros and cons. Any DA backing plate should work with the Griot's.

Rsurfer
10-27-2011, 07:14 AM
For sure Griot's or PC. Both have their pros and cons. Any DA backing plate should work with the Griot's.

:iagree:Being more powerful and a lifetime warranty would sway me to get the Griot.

dad07
10-27-2011, 07:28 AM

:iagree:Being more powerful and a lifetime warranty would sway me to get the Griot.

:iagree:

Mike Moore
10-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I have both the PC and GG 6".
They both have their pros and cons.
The Meguiars 5" MF DA kit works best with a PC7424xp.
I have heard of MF disc separation issues with the GG 6".
They are both good tools and either one is a good choice.

I still prefer the 5" backing plate & LC 5.5" flat pads with any DA.
The GG 6" (being more powerful) is a better correction machine IMHO
The PC with a 5.5" LC black flat pad does a great job with Menz PO85.

rwright
10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
The GG 6" (being more powerful) is a better correction machine IMHO
The PC with a 5.5" LC black flat pad does a great job with Menz PO85.

This is what I do as well. I used the Meg's MF cutting disc on the PCXP once and laughed hard. It responds so much better for me on the Griot's unit. If I can make it to Mike's class in January I hope to try out the Shurhold and Meg's units. :xyxthumbs:

2old2change
10-27-2011, 10:38 AM
This has to be one of the most asked questions on detailing forums anywhere. Kind of similar to the Ford vs Chevrolet debate that has gone on forever . IMO there is no correct answer but just our opinions reached from the experiences of using the various machines. Your thoughts on the Griots are well founded. Some question the reliability of that machine but I'm not in that camp. The Meguiars da is another great choice and is a bit smoother then the Griots. As for the new PC da , I have the older model and it has been a work horse forever with no complaints but has been dedicated for use with my smaller pads. So from someone that has the Griots , Meguiars and a PC my 1st choice would be the Griots 1st and Megs 2nd with a PC 3rd. Does a person need all of these ? Well I told the wife I did and thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Capa1970
10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
I purchased a DA buffer this year and I also had to choose amongst several great products. What won me over to the Griots was the life-time warranty and the extra power. Since I only detail my cars every 6 months a one year warranty would be meaningless and a life-time warranty priceless.

5.4 Shelby
10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I have the Griots, Old version PC 7424 and Flex 3401. Without experience with the new PC, it is hard to give a definite answer. I would recommend the Griots for the beginner based on what I have.

I use the foam pads and MEg MF DA pads on my Griots. The only time I have delaminated them is when I am workign it way too hard. IF you let the machine, the polish and the pad do the work, it will do just fine.

Detail_Dude
04-20-2012, 07:29 AM
This is a good read on comparing various DA's:

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher VS Meguiars Dual Action Polis - 5 Series Forums (http://forums.5series.net/topic/118857-porter-cable-7424xp-dual-action-polisher-vs-meguiars-dual-action-polisher-g110v2/)

VISITOR
04-20-2012, 06:57 PM
This has to be one of the most asked questions on detailing forums anywhere. my 1st choice would be the Griots 1st and Megs 2nd with a PC 3rd.

agreed...