PDA

View Full Version : Minor Paint Chips: Do it yourself or hire a Professional

VWR32
10-26-2011, 10:11 PM
My dad recently purchased a 2008 Porsche Cayman S, which has already seen some track use and about 9,000 miles. However, it just had the feared run in--a stone chip in the windshield. While I detail cars several times a week, I have never repaired a chip before. Is a do-it-yourself kit fine, or is this something to relay to a professional?

Let me know guys(and gals),
VWR32

JonMiles
10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I'd have a professional do it...it won't take long or cost much but they can warranty the work.

FUNX650
10-26-2011, 11:14 PM
There many decent DIY repair kits...Loctite and Permatex come to mind...and they are a one part epoxy type kit...no mixing. (Sold at most auto parts supply and hardware stores)

DIY or seeking professional service...It's a good idea to get it repaired as soon as possible. Driving the vehicle with a chipped windshield can lead to cracking. Most importantly: A windshield is also part of a vehicles structural/strength architecture.

Water is a chip's worst enemy. It will get into the chip, pulled in by surface tension. If the chip goes all the way through to the safety-glass lamination, water can delaminate the glass from that membrane. Eventually, the membrane will fog, with no way to remove it. Water can freeze in the chip, causing a larger flaw or even a crack to occur. Water can carry dirt into the crack...again with no way to remove it. All can lead to reduced visibility....or worse!

A DIY'er kit, or even a Pro's repair (usually w/warranty---and not too expensive), could leave a visible flaw...at least the chip has been sealed from environmental contaminates, and reduced the chances of a chip enlarging/cracking. This, as it so happens, should return the integrity/safety of the windshield, IMO. Unless you deem a replacement windshield is in order [$$$]

Just a few thoughts...hope it helps some.

:)

Bob

Mike Moore
10-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Some states - Florida for one - offer FREE windshield repair/replacement from you insurance company with a zero deductible.