PDA

View Full Version : Mastering the 105/205 compound

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan R
10-26-2011, 09:35 PM
First I'll say...I was ready to put the 105 to the side and go for the Ultimate Compound...But I decided to stick with the 105 and keep at it.
Really is a pita with it drying so fast. I found myself using QD to aid in removing it.
Someone correct me if this is a bad practice but I went ahead and misted the area with QD while going over the panel. Seemed to work.
I've also noticed the 105 seems to dry up faster with the yellow LC 5.5 flat pad. Maybe it's just me but it seemed to "work" longer with the orange pad.
I have a very dusty mess but after a few hours and test panels I'm getting much better results than when I first tried it.
Any helpful tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

One more thing...I remember reading someone put baby oil on the pad with 105? If you see this please chime in

eaglefan
10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
I did not have great luck with it either. I used a very little spray of water to keep it going. Im sure its me but it was a pita!

richy
10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Are you guys using a DA or a rotary? Here is a video I did earlier this year showing it in action with a rotary:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/circular-polishers-rotary-polishers-high-speed-polisher/38679-richy-s-m105-video-no-dusting-technique.html

dtuna42
10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
If your technique is good, it's possible you're just working on a car on which 105 is not the best choice. M105 is really good stuff, but "nothing works on everything" so you just may have better luck with UC (or something else) on that particular car.

I recently ran into one vehicle that 105 just did not work well on (dried up and dusted quickly, impossible to remove residue, etc..), but UC worked great.

Ryan R
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
If your technique is good, it's possible you're just working on a car on which 105 is not the best choice. M105 is really good stuff, but "nothing works on everything" so you just may have better luck with UC (or something else) on that particular car.

I recently ran into one vehicle that 105 just did not work well on (dried up and dusted quickly, impossible to remove residue, etc..), but UC worked great.

Working on my 2000 Durango. I'm using my PC. It is drying up quickly but i went down to smaller section passes.
The more I've been working at it the better results. So I'd say my technique isn't perfect just yet but it's gotten much much better in the last few hours :)
I almost have 100% correction on the drivers side so I'm progressing.
It's coming out great now

Mobile detail
10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
I had the same problem in addition to a lot of product sling. Richy put it bluntly but was right on in telling me I was flat out using it wrong. Now I have changed my technique and I have no problems with m105. My biggest problem and what I think a lot of people are running into, is using too much product.I've found less is better with it. If you think your using enough, I would use even less and try it again. once you find the sweet spot, you'll love m105.

Ryan R
10-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm almost there!
I've got the right amount of product down... Earlier my pads were gumming up when i thought I had the right amount
Took a few times washing and drying pads to get it right.
I've worked my technique to slow passes (about an inch per second) and have been doing overlapping back and forth passes (not sure if I worded that right). This has seemed to work well for me

eaglefan
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
The 1 time I used it was with a surbuf pad,GG da, on a black caddy. Tried it on a Cyan pad and not enough, yellow also. I cleaned pad after every section I did. It took the swirls out but the residue, was terrible. It felt like it was working me, not me working the 105. Im so used to menzerna stuff and this seems is so different. Used slow passes, little product, small sections, speed 5. I know its me, I just need to play around with it more. I bought the small bottle, so not a bunch of money was spent. How does the 105 compare to menzerna power gloss?

Dr Oldz
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
I find that NOT priming the pad and using very little product is key. I dampen my pads, spin dry then use 3 pea sized drops of product for a 5.5 inch pad. Also cleaning the pad after each and every section pass is key. Another thing to take into consideration is that it is a compound.... So work small areas to correct properly and avoid over drying. Richy's video is awesome and when using a DA, you should have very little if any visible product to wipe off just like his rotary instructions.

D.Acker
10-27-2011, 09:38 AM
105 can definitely take some getting used to, I've found on my Megs softbuff pad it doesn't break down\dust nearly has bad has it does with my hex-logic pads. However, the hex pad are more aggressive, so I just work smaller areas when using those pads and it works great.

Mike Moore
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I personally have never had good luck with the LC Yellow pads.

I switched from 6.5" CCS to 5.5" LC flat pads and M105 is easy to use.
I use the Surbuf with a PC when it's REAL bad and it does real well.
I normally use the Lake Country 5.5" orange flat pads with the KBM.
I had a LOT of drying and splatter when I first used M105 but not now.

Do you have some Ultimate Compound?. Try 2 drops of M105 and 2 drops of UC.
This combo put a stop to the drying out, H2O misting and splatter I had with M105 alone.
The M105/UC combo also greatly increased my working time by keeping the products moist.

richy
10-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I had the same problem in addition to a lot of product sling. Richy put it bluntly but was right on in telling me I was flat out using it wrong. Now I have changed my technique and I have no problems with m105. My biggest problem and what I think a lot of people are running into, is using too much product.I've found less is better with it. If you think your using enough, I would use even less and try it again. once you find the sweet spot, you'll love m105.

That made me chuckle. Yes I can be blunt but I do try to be helpful, LOL. Your advice on using very little product is spot on.

Ryan R
10-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I have UC. I'll have to try that suggestion.
Lots of playing around with different amounts and different sized sections helped out.
Haven't tried misting with water but I will try it as well.
The yellow LC pads didn't work well with me but my oranges are working like a charm.
Got 5.5 surbuff pads today but haven't tried them yet.

And Richy... Nothing wrong with blunt as long as it's steering one on the right direction :)

Mike Moore
10-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Surbuf pads will cut with M105!
Follow with
Orange Pad / M105
White Pad / M205

Ryan R
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Merlin. Once again you supplied me with some good advice :)