PDA

View Full Version : Removing and Re-Applying LSP

Pages : [1] 2

mark2dx
10-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Hello all!

What is the best way to strip down an LSP if you are not planning on polishing or even claying the paint? It seems like this is asked fairly often, but I've been having a hard time finding a clear answer.

I'm thinking I may want to perform a wash and remove existing LSP in preparation for a fresh coat. Maybe even a layer of wax followed by a layer of sealant.

I've searched around and and found the following:

1. Polishing will remove LSP
2. Diluted APC wll remove LSP (aggressively)
3. Claying will remove LSP
4. CarPro Eraser can remove /some/ LSP's
5. IPA and products like Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner are more suited for removing polishing oils, and may not remove LSP (?)
6. A product called PrepAll(Sol?) may work for this too, but my car has a combination of clear AND single stage paint across the body. This makes it a bit trickier to work with.

So I'm a bit torn on what to do. Heck, should I even worry about removing the existing LSP if I'm not going for a certain "look" (i.e. comboing Blackfire products, etc)? Just looking to add some protection to my paint.

Dr Oldz
10-26-2011, 04:43 PM
A cleaner wax or a specific paint cleaner like these may be what you are looking for:

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty. (http://www.autogeek.net/pinpainclean.html)

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax (http://www.autogeek.net/p2paincleanl.html)

BobbyG
10-26-2011, 05:44 PM
I think one reason might be there are many ways to accomplish this so trying to pinpoint just one is nearly impossible.

The examples you state are ways to remove sealants and waxes. Dedicated products pretty much guarantee success.

Jim's mention a couple of additional ways to remove them as well. :props:

Klean Strip Prep-All is specifically formulated to remove sealants, waxes, grease, oils, silicone etc preparing it for the next step in the process..

mark2dx
10-26-2011, 06:45 PM
I think one reason might be there are many ways to accomplish this so trying to pinpoint just one is nearly impossible.

The examples you state are ways to remove sealants and waxes. Dedicated products pretty much guarantee success.

Jim's mention a couple of additional ways to remove them as well. :props:

Klean Strip Prep-All is specifically formulated to remove sealants, waxes, grease, oils, silicone etc preparing it for the next step in the process..

That's the stuff! I've seen you mention it many times over, I just couldn't remember the name for certain. It appears to accomplish just what I need it to do; remove LSP without going through the process of claying or polishing.

Do you know off hand how it behaves on single stage paint? I've had bad luck with a few products in the past (was able to clean them up with a light polish), so I'd like to avoid running into that problem again if possible.

A cleaner wax or a specific paint cleaner like these may be what you are looking for:

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty.

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax

These look awesome too! Definitely worth checking out, I was having a heck of a time finding a product that worked in this way as there's not really a dedicated class for what I was looking for.

Right now I do have the following products available to me:

Poorboy’s Polish with Carnauba (BLUE): A Quality Poorboy Polish & Protectant For Dark Paints! poorboys blue polish, dark polish, car polish, clear (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-blue.html)

Griot's Garage Pre-Wax Cleaner, prewax paint cleaner, paint prep cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-pre-wax-cleaner.html)

I think the Poor Boy's Polish may work out if I wanted to use it as part of my LSP system, but the way the description of the Griot's is worded, I don't think it serves the same purpose.

At any rate, I'm rambling. I'll check out the recommended products and would love to see others if anyone knows of more :)

rider9195
10-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Wolfgang Paint Work Polish Enhancer works very well at removing wax build up by using it with a Dual Action polisher or even by hand. It also will fill in some swirls leaving behind a high shine finish.

Both Jim and Bobby have given good suggestions of paint cleaners as well :xyxthumbs:

alko
10-26-2011, 06:56 PM
I am getting ready to write a review on the Griot's Garage Paint Prep. I had a previous LSP of Swissvax Concorso and claying and washing in a dawn/meg's gold class mix did NOT remove all of the LSP. The Griot's Garage did! Here's a pic...

After claying and dawn/meg's wash, before paint prep:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/alk0/IMG_5427.jpg

After paint prep and rinse with pressure washer:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/alk0/IMG_5428.jpg

mark2dx
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM
I am getting ready to write a review on the Griot's Garage Paint Prep. I had a previous LSP of Swissvax Concorso and claying and washing in a dawn/meg's gold class mix did NOT remove all of the LSP. The Griot's Garage did! Here's a pic...

After claying and dawn/meg's wash, before paint prep:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/alk0/IMG_5427.jpg

After paint prep and rinse with pressure washer:
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m629/alk0/IMG_5428.jpg

Very nice! I was just looking through the Griot's line and saw that the Pre-Wax Cleanser I have is not the same as the Paint Prep. I picked mine up on BOGO and it looks like it's intended purpose is to be used like an IPA solution after polishing.

FUNX650
10-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Here's a couple of suggestions:

Optimum Power Clean
Groit’s Paint Prep
3M Prep Solvent
DuPont PrepSol
Wurth Clean Solve

:)

Bob

alko
10-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Very nice! I was just looking through the Griot's line and saw that the Pre-Wax Cleanser I have is not the same as the Paint Prep. I picked mine up on BOGO and it looks like it's intended purpose is to be used like an IPA solution after polishing.

You are correct. The Pre-wax cleanser is for removing the polishing oils and fillers left behind from polishing, allowing for a true paint surface that is ready for an LSP. The paint prep, as you can see, works great. I will get this stuff each and every time I go to do "the big one" on my car-meaning machine polish and wax. Its cheap too...a bottle will last you. I had alot left over.

Oh and I just received the Pre-wax cleaner in my last order and will be using it, hopefully, this weekend.

ryanmcg1
10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Mix 1 ounce of degreaser or apc like mean green, simple green, or optimum power clean with your car wash soap. After you wash and dry use Pinnacle's paintwork cleansing lotion by DA or by hand works great and preps your paint for better bonding of your wax or sealent your lsp will last longer too.

P.S. I strongly recommend claying your vehicle before applying the paintwork cleansing lotion.

embolism
10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe even a layer of wax followed by a layer of sealant.

you can put wax on a sealant after it cures but not the other way around...

mark2dx
10-26-2011, 08:28 PM
you can put wax on a sealant after it cures but not the other way around...

Good call, didn't have my head completely on when I typed that :props:.

Seal then wax :buffing: . Which reminds me why I wanted to strip the LSP in the first place; to ensure the sealant bonds cleanly to the paint before topping it with some sweet sweet carnuba.

D.Acker
10-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I am getting ready to write a review on the Griot's Garage Paint Prep. I had a previous LSP of Swissvax Concorso and claying and washing in a dawn/meg's gold class mix did NOT remove all of the LSP. The Griot's Garage did!

Thanks Alex. I have been wondering the same thing. Since I followed the same process you did to strip, with the same results, looked like I had waxed it the day before! I just added both the Paint Prep and Pre-Wax cleaner to my cart!

Ryan R
10-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I just recently had to do this to my moms car. I had clayed and polished it and didn't get my Wolfgang sealant yet so I topped it with 845 until it arrived.
Once it came I did a Dawn Ultra wash down,dried it,then wiped down with my Klean Strip prep all. Worked like a charm.
Now I have a good long lasting sealant topped with 845 for the winter :)

alko
10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks Alex. I have been wondering the same thing. Since I followed the same process you did to strip, with the same results, looked like I had waxed it the day before! I just added both the Paint Prep and Pre-Wax cleaner to my cart!

Dave...stand by for the full review. I may post it this weekend. This stuff works GREAT! I wonder how the Pre-Wax cleaner will be. I'm really anxious to see the final results of my car.