PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?

Gianotti
10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Hello, new guy here! I am a DIY kinda guy. and do the best i can to keep my truck clean. I have been trying new products over the past few years and found this site and so much info, thanks so much. I put a little list together I will be ordering soon, and wanted some input on the products I am thinking about getting. any info on other products you would recommend you be great! thanks again!

wash/soap - Dodo Juice born to be mild car shampoo ( never used before, have been using meguairs nxt gen wash )

quick detailer - surf city speed demon ( never used before, have been using meguairs quick detailer, and hate it, always leaves a residue )

wash mit - groits garage 10268 micro fiber wash mit ( never used before, always used an off brand microfiber mit)

tire shine - meguairs endurance either gel or aersol can, aersol can works best, i have aggressive tires and the gel works better but takes too much time to apply. any other sugg. would be great.

hand wax- I have always hand waxed my truck, never got into the buffer wheel, which is i know is better, but i have a black truck and makes me nervous to buff. but i have ben using the meguairs nxt gen. liquid wax, seems to work ok, but i was looking at the collinite insulator wax? I use offbrand mirco fiber towels to remove the wax after it has dryed. any special brands of micro fiber towels that are better then others. BTW my truck is black and is so hard to keep clean. any special wax for black? any other sugg. would be great

bug and tar - stoney tarminator( never used, seems to have good reviews, always have used like spray 9 or simple green) any sugg. would be great

trim detailer - ultima tire and trim guard plus ( never used but looks good from reviews, always used some type of meguiars, but never lasted that long or streaked, mainly used for wheel wells, mirrors, door hangles, just to bring out that shine. any other sugg. would be great

Drying - cobra guzzler waffle weave ( never used, but had good reviews, always have used the absourber, and a water blade, but the absourber has seen better days and the water blade is alright, not the greatest. any sugg. would be helpful

Interior - i used a small duster and meguairs wipes, seem to work well, i dont like having a shiny, wet look dash. just clean and dust free. any sugg. would be great

wheel cleaner - i have black wheels, have used soap or spray 9 to help get them clean, would be nice to have something to get the brake dust off.

My truck is also a diesel and i tend to get soot ( black diesel fuel ) everywhere, any thing to help knock it out or to help things get cleaner.

i guess after washing, using a quick detailer to do door trims/panels/rockers? thats what i have been using, seems to be alright.

no leather in my truck, i keep it vaccumed alot, and would like to find a nice product to clean the mats/carpet for small stains/mud/dirt.

anythign else would be great for sugg. i know this is alot to read, but i figured i might as well put it out there, thanks again and i hope to get some good sugg.

John

Mike Phillips
10-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Hi John,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

That's quite the list! I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions and thoughts on the different products and ideas you listed...

Sometimes you'll get more and better replies if you limit your questions, or in this case requests for feedback on so many things...

For example start a thread asking for feedback, opinions, etc on just spray detailers...

Here's two articles on the topic...

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html)

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

That said I'll tack a stab at this question you ask...

i guess after washing, using a quick detailer to do door trims/panels/rockers?

thats what i have been using, seems to be alright.

Another thing you can do that will make the painted areas of door jambs, panels and rockers is to use a one-step cleaner/wax on them. This will make the paint look better and also make it clean-up easier and faster during the next detailing session...

:xyxthumbs:

calhoun1
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
I am just gonna respond in order so it may seem random :D

Megs next gen or Megs Gold class are great car washes, no need to order the Dodo.

Haven't used that QD, but I use Meg's Last Touch as a QD, got in the gallon size from here.

for the mitt, I prefer the microfiber "finger" mitts. Seem to catch more, but that is just my opinion.

For tire shine I use Pinnacle Black Onyx, and the gel with the applicator takes like 5 minutes. Of course my process in a wash is clean the wheel wells with APC+, the wheels and tires with DP wheel cleaner, and then spray the tires and wells with the cheapest cleaner foam I can find. I then wash the car as normal and put on the tire gel when all is said and done.

For wax, the collinite 845 is good, I haven't used it yet, but have it at home ready for my next detail this weekend. As for a buffer, it is up to you and that woul dbe part of the polish before the wax. If you make the jump, definitely go for a Random Orbital/Dual Action!

Haven't used the bug/tar either, but have seen good reviews for that as well.

Heard good things about UTTG, personally i use 303, works great!

That blade can be bad, if anything is on the paint, it will catch it and cause swirls/scratches. A leaf blower/air compressor and the guzzle to blot are key.

303 works great for the interior, protects but doesn't leave the shine behind.

As for the carpet, I use a Bissel Little Green Machine, works great and is pretty portable too!

Hope this helps, as it is pretty fragmented lol.

embolism
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd slap a coating on it

If you don't want to go that route, then there's plenty of good stuff that's pretty inexpensive and works well: megs apc+, duragloss aquawax, duragloss 901 car soap, ONR, mother's clay, DG 501 paint cleaner, cobra rolled edge microfibres, mineral spirits for tar (but it will strip your protection), and collinite 845 sealant/wax for the paint/rims

and never use a waterblade on anything except the shower door or your windows...

dad07
10-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Hello, new guy here! I am a DIY kinda guy. and do the best i can to keep my truck clean. I have been trying new products over the past few years and found this site and so much info, thanks so much. I put a little list together I will be ordering soon, and wanted some input on the products I am thinking about getting. any info on other products you would recommend you be great! thanks again!

wash/soap - Dodo Juice born to be mild car shampoo ( never used before, have been using meguairs nxt gen wash )
you might also try DG901 or optimum

quick detailer - surf city speed demon ( never used before, have been using meguairs quick detailer, and hate it, always leaves a residue )
Megs last touch of megs Ultimate qd

wash mit - groits garage 10268 micro fiber wash mit ( never used before, always used an off brand microfiber mit)

this will work fine
tire shine - meguairs endurance either gel or aersol can, aersol can works best, i have aggressive tires and the gel works better but takes too much time to apply. any other sugg. would be great.
opti-bond

hand wax- I have always hand waxed my truck, never got into the buffer wheel, which is i know is better, but i have a black truck and makes me nervous to buff. but i have ben using the meguairs nxt gen. liquid wax, seems to work ok, but i was looking at the collinite insulator wax? I use offbrand mirco fiber towels to remove the wax after it has dryed. any special brands of micro fiber towels that are better then others. BTW my truck is black and is so hard to keep clean. any special wax for black? any other sugg. would be great

lots of good waxes out there but for durability coli is tops in my book
mf towels--- rolled edge mf are on bogo
these are GREAT paint towels
bug and tar - stoney tarminator( never used, seems to have good reviews, always have used like spray 9 or simple green) any sugg. would be great

Tarminater is a good choice
trim detailer - ultima tire and trim guard plus ( never used but looks good from reviews, always used some type of meguiars, but never lasted that long or streaked, mainly used for wheel wells, mirrors, door hangles, just to bring out that shine. any other sugg. would be great
uttg is tops with me
Drying - cobra guzzler waffle weave ( never used, but had good reviews, always have used the absourber, and a water blade, but the absourber has seen better days and the water blade is alright, not the greatest. any sugg. would be helpful

cobra or mothers
Interior - i used a small duster and meguairs wipes, seem to work well, i dont like having a shiny, wet look dash. just clean and dust free. any sugg. would be great

Optimum Protectant +
wheel cleaner - i have black wheels, have used soap or spray 9 to help get them clean, would be nice to have something to get the brake dust off.

Groits hd wheel cleaner is staple for me
My truck is also a diesel and i tend to get soot ( black diesel fuel ) everywhere, any thing to help knock it out or to help things get cleaner.

Keeping the paint in good condition this should wash off

i guess after washing, using a quick detailer to do door trims/panels/rockers? thats what i have been using, seems to be alright.

no leather in my truck, i keep it vaccumed alot, and would like to find a nice product to clean the mats/carpet for small stains/mud/dirt.

folex available at Lowes on the cheap

anythign else would be great for sugg. i know this is alot to read, but i figured i might as well put it out there, thanks again and i hope to get some good sugg.
add some clay,glass cleaner
John

:welcome:to ago and I hope this helps