PDA

View Full Version : Micro Scratches on RVs - hmmmm?

Bates Detailing
10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Curious guys if anyone can aid in some knowledge or info from experience on polishing painted RVs. Today I was called out to removed a ridiculous amount of scratches on a BRAND NEW RV (maybe 2 or 3 months old). The millions of scratches were obviously from someone that went to town on this RV with a harsh brush - they were easily removed. After removing the very obvious micro scratches - there were uniformed brush marks all over the RV that could not be removed even with an aggressive combination of compounds , pads, etc. (did a test spot and they didnt budge at all).

Another gentleman came up to me today and asked about his 6 month old Class A (he is the only owner) - I looked at it and it was riddled with these fine scratches as well and even had holograms all over it - only the man said he had never had it buffed. He said he was taking it back to the factory were he got it and was going to get them to fix it.

My best guess for the issue is that maybe right out of the factory these RVs are being brush washed while still in their green period?!?!?! Does this sound about right to anyone?!?!?! Is there anything I can really do to fix this issue for them?!?!?! Sorry no pix!

C. Charles Hahn
10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I would have to think it's highly likely they're being washed and/or buffed at the factory or the RV dealer.... probably not much different than we see on cars. Are any of these also wearing Vinyl graphics?

Bates Detailing
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I would have to think it's highly likely they're being washed and/or buffed at the factory or the RV dealer.... probably not much different than we see on cars. Are any of these also wearing Vinyl graphics?

The Rv Dealer is one of my best RV clients - he sent me to knock this out for him...... he told me that right out of the factory it was going to an RV show and was washed too aggressively more than likely by a local detailer (in another state)...... with that said - I could remove those scratches that he was talking about - they were easily visible. Now the micro scratches that couldnt be removed were not easily visible - only in the right light and angle.

With that said - is there a green period for RVs right out of the factory - if so, is this the issue....... or can it be something else?!?!? Anything correctable?!?!

PS - yes to the vinyl graphics - only they also seem to be uni-formally coated along with the paint...... could be mistaken though?!?!?

Custom Detail
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
What your seeing is under clear!

Bates Detailing
10-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Makes sense - is washing with a brush before slapping on the clear normal practice with RVs?!?!?

Ive seen this before many times on RVs but most people dont notice or care - but these people wanted basically a full correction on what I am assuming is uncorrectable through polishing.

Setec Astronomy
10-25-2011, 08:53 PM
We're talking gelcoated fiberglass, right? I think those brushmarks are from when they are laying up in the mold...Mike Phillips knows a lot about this, perhaps he will chime in.

Bates Detailing
10-25-2011, 09:02 PM
We're talking gelcoated fiberglass, right? I think those brushmarks are from when they are laying up in the mold...Mike Phillips knows a lot about this, perhaps he will chime in.

Actually they are not gelcoat - this particular RV is a Class C painted RV...... the Class A was full body paint as well. Still after a year or so I love your profile name Setec! lol

C. Charles Hahn
10-25-2011, 09:09 PM
With that said - is there a green period for RVs right out of the factory - if so, is this the issue....... or can it be something else?!?!? Anything correctable?!?!

I don't think RVs are usually painted with thermo-cured finishes like an automotive manufacturer would use, so the "green period" is probably pretty similar to a body shop paint job.

PS - yes to the vinyl graphics - only they also seem to be uni-formally coated along with the paint...... could be mistaken though?!?!?

So the graphics were cleared over, it sounds like....

:iagree: based on the above.