PDA

View Full Version : Powerball to polish stained wheels?

lee1dew
10-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I have some stains on my factory wheels that wouldn't come off with APC, so I decided to hit it with Poliseal by hand and the stains started coming off slowly. I tried some Ultimate Compound it and seemed to work a little better, but doing it by hand was still a PITA. Would something like a Mother's Powerball work to make this easier? Can it also be used on the vertical outside surfaces of the wheels? If there is a better method or tool to use, please let me know.

These are factory 162's on my BMW 335i if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

forrest@mothers
10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Those wheels are coated, so you'll want to make sure you use a product that's compatible - not a metal polish (which it sounds like you knew).

With the shape of them:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=158939&d=1220457057

The original (large) PowerBall would be the best tool shape to use. Yes, you can use the ball easily on the flat face of the spokes. Don't run the polish dry, and use at a low (<300 rpm) speed.

How were the rims stained - an improper cleaner?

lee1dew
10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how they were stained, they were there when I bought the car used. Some of it looks like brake dust that won't come off, some of it is light brown (and was apparently liquid since the staining substance seems to run down the spoke a bit).

BMW
10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
It is most likely break dust...that someone has let go a very long time. I have seen it where it appears to be a run...I think it is usually a liquid that ran and the dust adhered to it and then pits the wheels. You will find Iron-X to be one of the few things that are effective that will not harm the finish.