PDA

View Full Version : Water less or rinse less wash that will not freeze...

Pages : [1] 2

BMW
10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know of a waterless or rinseless wash (mix or premix) that does not freeze.

This is so that it may be left in the vehicle at all times (for those emergency bird deposits) being left in the vehicle may subject it to temps below freezing...a few times it may hit 0 Fahrenheit.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Flash Gordon
10-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Does anyone know of a waterless or rinseless wash (mix or premix) that does not freeze.

This is so that it may be left in the vehicle at all times (for those emergency bird deposits) being left in the vehicle may subject it to temps below freezing...a few times it may hit 0 Fahrenheit.

Anyone have any experience with this?

You could mix in some alcohol, but of course that will strip your protection

Another thing you could do is heat the area your going to work on. You can do this by just parking the car where the Sun will hit the spot your concerned with

Setec Astronomy
10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, it's all going to freeze at 0. I keep an old bottle of Poorboy's BSR which is like concentrated Spray n' Wipe, and it freezes, but it thaws out ok. Make sure you have a bottle that won't crack when it freezes, the polyethylene seems to be ok. Bear in mind that usually when it's below the freezing point of your bird remover, it's also below the temperature where the poop will do anything to your paint other than be unsightly.

BMW
10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the input guys...according to this article and research by Autoglym it isn't the acid within bird droppings that causes issues...it is actually thermal expansion and contraction of differing materials.

The real reason why bird droppings damage your car - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8495819/The-real-reason-why-bird-droppings-damage-your-car.html)

Given how prone Indiana is to cold nights and above freezing sunny days the paint would easily have the opportunity to warm up enough to either active the acid and/or create thermal expansion to cause a deformation in the clear coat.

yakky
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the input guys...according to this article and research by Autoglym it isn't the acid within bird droppings that causes issues...it is actually thermal expansion and contraction of differing materials.

The real reason why bird droppings damage your car - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8495819/The-real-reason-why-bird-droppings-damage-your-car.html)

Given how prone Indiana is to cold nights and above freezing sunny days the paint would easily have the opportunity to warm up enough to either active the acid and/or create thermal expansion to cause a deformation in the clear coat.

While temps might be a factor, I did some more digging after I read that article. There are actually quite a few studies on bird poo and paint, this is a good one to start with:

A mechanistic study of degradation of a typical automotive clearcoat caused by bird droppings (http://www.springerlink.com/content/826645027kq6835g/fulltext.html)

Setec Astronomy
10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
A mechanistic study of degradation of a typical automotive clearcoat caused by bird droppings (http://www.springerlink.com/content/826645027kq6835g/fulltext.html)

Oh sure, Yakky, post a link from a university in Teheran, so now we're all going to wind up on the terrorist watch list from looking at it :doh:

Hoytman
10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh sure, Yakky, post a link from a university in Teheran, so now we're all going to wind up on the terrorist watch list from looking at it :doh:

When I read your post I thought, "whew...glad I didn't click on that link."

Then I proceded to post 5 to click on the first highlighted article and my eyes fooled me, in a hurry, and I clicked on the wrong link....Tehran, Iran...dang it. I didn't want to click on it either.
:nomore:

Setec Astronomy
10-25-2011, 07:48 PM
When I read your post I thought, "whew...glad I didn't click on that link."

Then I proceded to post 5 to click on the first highlighted article and my eyes fooled me, in a hurry, and I clicked on the wrong link....Tehran, Iran...dang it. I didn't want to click on it either.
:nomore:

I'm just yakking Yanky's chain...er...something like that...I think that article is from the Journal of Coatings Technology and Research (which is why it's in English), so we're (probably) safe. If I start hearing clicks on my phone and #### Cheney breathing I'll know I'm in trouble.

Belicoso
10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
I guess my question is... what kind of bird droppings do you get in freezing weather?
I don't see many things besides road salt flying around in winter.

Setec Astronomy
10-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I guess my question is... what kind of bird droppings do you get in freezing weather?
I don't see many things besides road salt flying around in winter.

That's what I was trying to say, if a bird poops on your car during the winter, you pull out your WW from the trunk and wipe it off...if your WW is frozen, then the bird poop will freeze too...and it doesn't seem to do much to the paint when it's frozen (or cold, even). Anyway, that seems to be my experience, I don't ever remember getting an etch during the winter.

Hoytman
10-25-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm just yakking Yanky's chain...er...something like that...I think that article is from the Journal of Coatings Technology and Research (which is why it's in English), so we're (probably) safe. If I start hearing clicks on my phone and #### Cheney breathing I'll know I'm in trouble.

I just thought it was funny.

BMW
10-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Because direct sun can easily heat the car exterior to well above freezing on a below freezing day...the painted exterior can easily exceed freezing temps while ice and snow cover the roads. I read a study that dark paint temps in direct sun can exceed ambient temps by 50-70 degrees...which obvious activates any type of temperature sensitive process.

So I hope I have put the tangent of "is this an issue" to bed...the answer is "yes it is"

Setec Astronomy
10-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Because direct sun can easily heat the car exterior to well above freezing on a below freezing day...the painted exterior can easily exceed freezing temps while ice and snow cover the roads. I read a study that dark paint temps in direct sun can exceed ambient temps by 50-70 degrees...which obvious activates any type of temperature sensitive process.

So I hope I have put the tangent of "is this an issue" to bed...the answer is "yes it is"

Yeah, it's an issue, but it's not an issue---everytime my paint is above freezing in the winter and I want to clean something off of it---my WW/QD etc. is unfrozen enough to use. If you really want something that won't freeze at 0°F, then get some of that windshield washer fluid with the proplyene glycol in it, but it will also have stuff that will strip your LSP.

yakky
10-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Is that why I have a bunch of black helicopters over my house? I thought it was because I was stealing satellite tv.... crap. Im the MAN

BMW
10-26-2011, 09:09 AM
I appreciate your help, but having something that goes through a freeze thaw cycle is not a viable solution. It would be interesting to see if propylene glycol would strip an LSP...considering it is not as caustic and is relatively environmentally friendly as compared to ethylene glycol.

Two Points:
1. A product passing through the freeze/thaw cycle can be altered chemically...most likely through solvent and solute separation.
2. The stress placed upon a plastic container continuously subjected to a expansion and contraction from the freezing and thawing of the contents will fatigue and will cause premature container failure.

My guess is that most WW/QD have a freezing point that is lower than water...'cause they may have water as a primary component, but the additives will changing the bonding thereby lowering the freeze point. Liked adding Gatorade powder to your water actually lowers the freeze point for those mid winter outdoor activities.