PDA

View Full Version : Speckles on new trim?

Dugdug
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Ok so Every time I wash this vehicle, it has these spots on them. Looks kinda like spots of grease. The trim is fairly new. I have tried ONR and a few other things but these spots don't disappear.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2j1lsuc.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/16jojlt.jpg

chevchenko
10-25-2011, 01:05 AM
I have seen the same kind of thing on a few cars. I got one car clean using OPC mixed 3/1. Looking forward to what everyone else has to say about it. In the end, plastic trim seems so much harder than everything else we have to do.

Dugdug
10-25-2011, 01:10 AM
yeah, I need to order me some opc

chevchenko
10-26-2011, 04:02 AM
I'm fighting a set of scuff marks on the interior of a beautiful a car right now, and I am not having much luck with it. OPC got one of them out, but it has not taken the others out.

BobbyG
10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
If the products sold through Autogeek can't clear this up then you might want to give something like Klean Strip Prep-All a try.

chevchenko
10-26-2011, 11:21 PM
tell me more about this stuff Bobby! What have you used it for, and when did it work and what did not work at the same time.

BobbyG
10-27-2011, 06:02 AM
tell me more about this stuff Bobby! What have you used it for, and when did it work and what did not work at the same time.

When I did autobody work and painting I used to use a product by DuPont called Prep-Sol 3319S. This solvent was developed by DuPont specifically for the automotive paint prep phase to ensure that the surface was clean and free of contamination.

"DUPONT PREP-SOL CLEANER - Prep-Sol 3919S is a cleaning solvent specifically designed for initial surface preparation before painting. Works well on the following difficult to remove elements: wax, grease, silicone, dirt, tar, insect remnants, road film and pin stripe adhesives."

Earlier this year I ran out and went to pick up another gallon. My paint guy asked if I'd ever tried Klean Strip Prep-All, which I hadn't. This product sits on the shelf right next to the DuPont brand at 1/2 the price!

Klean Strip Prep-All is formulated for the same purpose as DuPont Prep-Sol 3319S. It's available in 5 gallon, 1 gallon, quarts, and aerosol spray cans.

"Prep-All® removes old wax build-up before re-application of new wax to promote an even, mirror-like finish. It is also great for removing silicone and road film."

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Prep-All.jpg

I use it after polishing as a prep to ensure the surface is clean before I apply a sealant. It hasn't failed me yet as long as I use it for its intended purpose.

Klink10
10-27-2011, 06:40 AM
I have to side with Bobby G. on product choice. I just re-did the plastic pieces in my car. Previously, various protectants were used and without a proper cleaning a buildup was happening. Wanted to try my new WETS so I took apart the dash pieces, cleaned with a Lowes APC product, steamed then wiped liberally with Klean Strip mineral spirits. I had Prep Sol but it wasn't open yet. Pieces were allowed to dry and then with gloves on to prevent body oils etc from contaminating the pieces were treated with WETS applied with a foam sponge. Best they ever looked and dry to the touch. Items re-installed after dry. My exterior plastic was dismanteled (all of it), same process was done and in this case I used a different protective coating that darkens the piece and lasts me a good 9 months (parked inside). Point being I haven't had any problems with the Klean Strip MS or Prep-All products on plastic. The other point, either WETS or UTTG (UTTG not used yet but seen the review so should look the same) looks alot better on my interior black plastic trim. Black dash is of a different type and texture plastic so it gets the Megs Ultimate protectant.

I will say that your cleaning method and tools used could change the texture or grain of the plastic being treated and will result in a different look if the piece is not done uniformly. Example being if you use a magic erasure for a spot clean you have eliminated the culprit but smoothed to an extent that area. When treatment applied the piece will look for me shineier in that fixed area. So watch your technique and materials used. Probably talked to much, mis-spelled alot and said stuff most everyone knew.

chevchenko
10-28-2011, 02:29 AM
thanks to both klink and Bobby! I learn so much from your posts Bobby! And yes Klink, you are right about erasers, etc. You can get rid of a spot, but often you have changed the texture, which opens up other problems! I find interior work to be so much harder than exterior work. Paint is so much easier to fix than plastic and rubber! LOL The product sounds like a great cleaner. I have heard many use Klasse AIO. Have either of you tried this product for some of the same purposes?

Klink10
10-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks and no I have not tried Klasse.

Dugdug
10-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I used Mothers Back-to-black on it... seemed to do the trick for now. We'll see by tomorrow lol If it does work, then maybe the trim wasnt as new, or in as good of shape as I thought it was lol