PDA

View Full Version : Is this the way to do trim?

LeMarque
10-24-2011, 10:35 PM
So I'm thinking, you mask of the trim so as not to contaminate it with product (compound/polish/wax, etc.) But then it comes time to do the trim; how do you keep from getting it on the freshly waxed panel?

My thought, haven't tried it yet, is to do the trim first and then mask it off.

Or am I missing something here?

slickooz
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
If you going do trim first then mask it off, your going pull the dressing off the trim.

I would just find a small applicator pad to apply dressing on trim. And wipe any dressing off with detail spay if it gets on car.

LeMarque
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
If you going do trim first then mask it off, your going pull the dressing off the trim.

Thought that might be the case. Or the tape might not hold.

I would just find a small applicator pad to apply dressing on trim. And wipe any dressing off with detail spay if it gets on car.

That's what I've been doing but wanted to make certain there wasn't a better way.

Thanks

tw33k2514
10-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I use eagle one tire swipes to apply trim dressing. They really work great, and you can use the curved ends to get the top of the trim.

slickooz
10-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Or you can get any foam or tire applicator and cut according. I have Wolfgang tire shine, and it came with applicator. I cut them in halves because it was easier to apply on tires.

LeMarque
10-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Those are great ideas. I've just been using a small MF applicator.

Shoulda posted before the sale ended last nite.

SameGuy
10-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Every time I go to the dollar store I get the variety pack of foam paint brushes for a buck. It usually has sizes that match most of the trim on an average car, ranging from ½" to 3" and fractions in between. Sometimes I'll only find kits with 1", 1½", 2", 2½" and 3" brushes. I grab them anyways because they are beveled so you can still coat narrower trim strips by just turning them at an angle. They are also great for interior detailing!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eHdAaUtbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Silverstone
10-25-2011, 03:10 AM
I always figured that the paint as freshly waxed so any trim detailer would just wipe right off no problem. That's what it seems to do. Especially with these "phobic" sealants. The water from the hose seems to want to jump right off the paint.
I have more trouble keeping it off the glass.

Ron Atchison
10-25-2011, 05:55 AM
My thought, haven't tried it yet, is to do the trim first and then mask it off. Or am I missing something here?

Doubt you would get the tape to stick to it.

mwtaco
10-25-2011, 07:15 AM
Every time I go to the dollar store I get the variety pack of foam paint brushes for a buck. It usually has sizes that match most of the trim on an average car, ranging from ½" to 3" and fractions in between. Sometimes I'll only find kits with 1", 1½", 2", 2½" and 3" brushes. I grab them anyways because they are beveled so you can still coat narrower trim strips by just turning them at an angle. They are also great for interior detailing!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eHdAaUtbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great tip. Gonna get some.

erobertson
10-25-2011, 07:22 AM
You can use a small soft Plastic guard placed next to edge to contain the dressing, sort of like edge guides when painting. Silicone spatulas from kitchen supply or 3-4 inch mixing spatula for fiber glass repair (try a boat shop like West Marine) works well and with practice you can do this quickly an efficiently. I primarily use this for areas that would be a pain to clean up. What ever you use make sure it is very soft with no sharp edge.