PDA

View Full Version : Removing compound from cracks and crevices.

Pages : [1] 2

DetailedByPrecision
10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
I was wondering what type of brushes or techniques do you guys use to remove compound on areas where the tip of your finger and a mf towel won't suffice. For example, window trim, outer door handle area, gas lid sometimes, the crack between the A pillar and the fender, between bumpers and headlights. I can list a lot more but you guys probably get the point now. I need to know what type of brushes I can use that won't mar the paint or scratch it. If you guys have some advice and would like to share please feel free to because this is pissin me off. :dunno:

tw33k2514
10-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Q-tip usually does the trick for me.

opie_7afe
10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
1" wide paint brush i have 2 of them one normal length bristles another one with the bristles cut down. i also dipped the brushes up to the bristles in plasti-dip. or get a boars hair 1"round pastry brush. AG sells them for 7.99 Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts (http://www.autogeek.net/lug-nut-brush.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2181_125117224

slickooz
10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
I sometimes use very soft tooth brushes to remove stuff off trims and cracks.

Flash Gordon
10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
All of the above, plus do it while giving the car a wash

DetailedByPrecision
10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
thx for all the tips guys.

Jimmie
10-24-2011, 10:41 PM
My first try is always with the corner of a mf, or I'll fold in a sharp crease. If that doesn't work I've got a beveled tip on a wooden dowel that I use with an mf.

Gruebukkit
10-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I happened on a strange little silicone-tipped "Double-End Detailing Brush" at Wal-Mart that I've not seen duplicated anywhere else. I'll try to get a picture up if I can find one online, or I'll have to wait until I'm back at the garage later this week to take a photo.

One end is a worthless plastic-bristle, straight-cut 1" brush with a sliding shield that I have glued in the 'full-cover' position as it annoyingly kept sliding back as I worked the 'booger' tip at the other end. THIS is where the magic is: It's a fingertip-sized nub of silicone that's chiseled to a point. Viewed end-on, it's shaped kind of like the bow of a boat, maybe about 0.75" in diameter at the base. It's very flexible and smooth - so it's gentle - and it's damn-near miraculous at working paste material out of body seams and fine details like the tight, inside edges of badging and emblems. It works like a tiny squeegee around the inner detail of my Mustang's "5.0" badges - so I don't even have to tape them. It's become invaluable in my toolbag!

They're not terribly well-made, but they are cheap. I bought one on a whim to try it out. A week later, I bought two more to keep in my bag. My first is just about worn after only 3 or 4 full details (I am pretty aggressive with it). If I ever run across a similar tool that's made better (or at least American-made), I'll jump on it. But for now, I won't compound or wax without my "booger-stick!"

DetailedByPrecision
10-25-2011, 12:02 AM
guess I need to do some brush shopping soon... At least I have q tips...

skipper1
10-25-2011, 06:11 AM
Try bamboo skews. Mothers makes a brush that looks like a big toothbrush with a rubber tip on the other end.

erobertson
10-25-2011, 07:11 AM
You can also use a small bristle art brush dipped in favorite cleaner. Find one that is very stiff like for oil painting and wrap any exposed metal in tape. Over time you will collect variety of sizes and shapes which will clean up any crevice likely to come across. Take you fingers and hold the bristles together when you place the brush into the void; then let go and let the bristles fan out into the space. Agitate the compound and then pull the brush back out. The dry material will be dislodged and quick swipe with a MF will complete the job.

Mike Phillips
10-25-2011, 07:39 AM
My first try is always with the corner of a mf, or I'll fold in a sharp crease.

Here's a variation of the above...

Shove as much of a microfiber towel as you can into the area you want to rub to remove wax residue then before you start rubbing twist the towel and push it in even further. The twisting will act to both drive more toweling in and increase pressure against the residue.

Other ideas would be,

Pressure washer
Popsicle stick
Plastic knife like you take on a picnic or get at McDonald's

:xyxthumbs:

Midnight1700
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Here's a variation of the above...

Shove as much of a microfiber towel as you can into the area you want to rub to remove wax residue then before you start rubbing twist the towel and push it in even further. The twisting will act to both drive more toweling in and increase pressure against the residue.

Other ideas would be,

Pressure washer
Popsicle stick
Plastic knife like you take on a picnic or get at McDonald's

:xyxthumbs:

Another item we use a lot is a wooden "Skewer". The type used in cooking. They are small, but quite strong and can get into some very tight areas. One side has a point on it while the other end is flat. I find that popsicle sticks and plastic knives break too easily.

Flash Gordon
10-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Popcycle sticks and Plastic knives sound dangerous and ineffective

jfelbab
10-25-2011, 09:00 AM
A pink eraser work well. You can cut with a razor to fit in the tiny cracks and crevices. One swipe removes it all safely.