PDA

View Full Version : water reclaimation

Pages : [1] 2

Billand
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi All

water reclaimation and laws that will effect all detailers

I was talking to a code enforcement officer today and found out that I need to reclaim my water when I detail customer cars. Were do I find a water reclaimation system for mobile detailing. ''

how many of you mobile or shop detailers reclaim water

I also found out that the federal water act is trying to out law your ablity to wash cars even your own car at your home. what do you think

shoeless89
10-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi All

water reclaimation and laws that will effect all detailers

I was talking to a code enforcement officer today and found out that I need to reclaim my water when I detail customer cars. Were do I find a water reclaimation system for mobile detailing. ''

how many of you mobile or shop detailers reclaim water

I also found out that the federal water act is trying to out law your ablity to wash cars even your own car at your home. what do you think

I let mother earth reclaim the water, it was her's to begin with :props:

And I doubt they will ever outlaw washing your car at your home. Other things people do in their yard are way worse for the environment then washing your car. Most car products are/becoming biodegradable, VOC compliant, and all that stuff. Plus can you imagine all the red necks rising up when the government tries to tell them they can do something on their own property with their own water lol

Jossy92
10-24-2011, 04:20 PM
....how many of you mobile or shop detailers reclaim water

Here is how a local professional detailer that I was lucky enough to watch working on several neighbors' cars handles it.....does it in a way where there's no water to reclaim by the time he leaves.

Drives the car onto a blue tarp. If the cars' finish has been maintained he uses a bucket and spray bottle of a "no rinse" product. Sprays and then wipes with MF's that are soaking in the bucket. Dries with a WW. Same for tires/wheels, but seems to use an additonal spray bottle of ?? and dedicated MF . Finishes off with a spray detailer/booster wax?

On really dirty cars he has a pressure washer ....uses it more as a power-mister than a power-sprayer. Very little water on the tarp, and any water that gets on the tarp dries up before he leaves. Wraps up the tarp and takes the de-hydrated water with him.

He has turned a problem in to a marketing opportunity by offering a $20 intro wash Next day 2 of those had him come back for a full detail. Including a new black Vette.

Point is: The new water reclaimation laws have helped him. (But only because he does great work in addition to being a great businessman by going around the problem instead of letting get in the way.

Hope this helps

Bunky
10-24-2011, 05:40 PM
And I doubt they will ever outlaw washing your car at your home.

They actually can in most cases. "Most" products does not mean "all" so we all have to pay for the sins of a few.

215Detailing
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
You should be allowed to use a pressure to wet the vehicle, then do a normal ONR wash, this should remove most surface grime and still reduce water usage with no chemicals entering storm drains or being a run-off issue. any feedback is welcomed. Thanks in advance

Joe@Superior Shine
10-24-2011, 10:39 PM
We have been reclaiming our waste water for over 10 years. It is the LAW, a federal law, passed in the mid/late 70s. 90% of the time we use a spray on wipe off waterless product. The 10% we use a "boom" or "berm" set up to reclaim waste water. If you want to abide by the law and to land large corporate accounts reclaiming is a must.

shoeless89
10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
If you want to abide by the law and to land large corporate accounts reclaiming is a must.

I agree. But I think them trying to ban you from washing your car at your house and actually enforcing it will never happen.

Joe@Superior Shine
10-25-2011, 09:14 AM
It has already happened. I think Washington State has. A few cities in California have ban home washing also.

Joe@Superior Shine
10-25-2011, 09:16 AM
No driveway carwashes, Wash. state says - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-09-28-car-wash_N.htm)

I also found other similar stories in other states and cities.

shoeless89
10-25-2011, 11:16 AM
No driveway carwashes, Wash. state says - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-09-28-car-wash_N.htm)

I also found other similar stories in other states and cities.

Hmmm interesting. They will have to pull the hose out of my cold dead hands! LOL

Thanks for the info!

wangotango
08-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Was denied a business license yesterday due to my inability to prove I had oil/water seperator for water I use to wash cars.

swanicyouth
08-16-2012, 06:25 AM
I think I recall Chemical Guys Website selling a water reclaim system. I have to say im an offender. I use a lot of hose water to wash my personal cars. In the scheme of things, few people wash there own cars by hand regularly and fewer pay to have them detailed, likely having little impact on anything.

NoBama316
08-16-2012, 07:27 AM
This is what happens when people expect government to solve all problems and hold their hand.

wangotango
08-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I wanted to start a part-time business.
If you adverstise, they will find you.
Not afraid to be legit and accountable.
How hard could it be to get a business license anyway, right?

They asked me how I was going to clean the water before I put it back into the storm drain.
And ALL those toxic chemicals.
I normally wash my 2 cars a 5-6 times a month total during the summer on the lawn. There's my filter.
Between me and all the other people on the block washing their cars (zero) it DOESN'T hardly make an impact. I get that.
The codes and explanation of "types" of businesses shown to me in the city office didn't even have a category close to "auto detail", so now they are stumped.
At least that information was last updated in 1986 they said.
Not much has changed in the world since then so that's ok. ###!
I'm heading down today and suggest I use a 'facility" to wash the cars then detail in my shop.
Facility = car wash or other place that has approved methods for seperating oil/water.
Basically an 'automobile' type of business or such.
I'm sure I'll cloud the issue with logic and get tossed again.

darkangelism
08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Water Containment, Water Reclamation and Water Recovery Systems (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Water_Containment_Water_Reclamation_MAT_p/acc_m1.htm)

See if that passes their regulations