PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on detailing a car that is graphically wrapped?

My Detailing Guys
10-24-2011, 07:49 AM
We will be detailing a car that is graphically wrapped. Any advice on the do's & don’t? We may have to us our pressure washer since the car will be at a location where we won’t have power or water available. Of course we will use the pressure washer sparingly.

Thanks,

Greg

Mike Phillips
10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Wash carefully like you would anything, just a good best practice.

I've read people having good luck just using a simple product like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer to restore a richer, brighter look as well as amp up the shine. You might also consider using a spray-on wax but make sure you test anything to a small area to see how it looks.

:)

My Detailing Guys
10-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Wash carefully like you would anything, just a good best practice.

I've read people having good luck just using a simple product like Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer to restore a richer, brighter look as well as amp up the shine. You might also consider using a spray-on wax but make sure you test anything to a small area to see how it looks.

Thanks Mike!

Do you feel we should completely bucket wash i.e. pour water from a bucket on the car, same with the rinse, and stay away from pressure washing? A company is having us detail two cars a 2012 Veloster, and the other is a Genesis Sedan that will be displayed at the Ohio State Game this coming Weekend. Just want to do it right.

Greg

C. Charles Hahn
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
As long as you're not blasting the pressure washer at the edge of any of the vinyl you should be fine IMO.

FUNX650
10-24-2011, 02:07 PM
It sounds like you have a source of water (RE: Pressure sprayer/water Tank?)...please correct me if I'm wrong

This is how I do it, most of the time, on my PPF (same as a vinyl graphic)....You may want to try it, also.

Using the two (2) bucket system:

-You can wash vinyl graphics with your mixture of mild car wash shampoo/water....be sure to spot test on a small out-of-the-way section of vinyl first!
- Use soft cotton or MF wash mitt...no brushes (they'll leave scratches and dull the vinyl's finish).
-Always wash/dry vinyl graphics in one direction....no circular motions
- Top_down washing method as usual.
- If you find that some areas may have some difficult contaminates (tar spots, exhaust stains, etc.)...carefully spot clean with IPA/Water mixture, or Citrus-based cleaner (P21S/S100) and immediately clean with your shampoo solution. (these areas will definitely need some amping-up later.)
-After you’ve washed the vehicle, rinse with clean water. Then:
-Let the vehicles' vinyl air dry, or use a soft MF towel...again no circular motions.

After the vehicle/graphics have dried, you may want to apply some product to amp-up the gloss/shine:

-Never apply any carnauba-based wax over vinyl graphics.
- Use a synthetic spray detailer that is clear---No Coloring---and gently wipe/buff with soft MF towel. Another product you can use is from XPel...it's their sealant for clear-bras/graphics...I sure wish I had known about this earlier, I'd send you some....Perhaps PM me?...I'm in Ohio.

{Note: It was recommended that I use TW ICE Synthetic Detailer (A Very Clear Synthetic Product), for amping-up purposes, on all of the PPF on my vehicles...After almost 5 years the PPF looks great (except for some rubber marks and, idiotic actions from doofus-folks at car shows/cruise-ins) :)

You seem to have concerns about pressure washing:

IMHO:Use pressure washing only as a last resort!
Pressure washing can:
-Cause the edges to lift and start peel.
-Pressure washing can cause the vinyl to lose its sheen, cause cracks/chip away.
- Use EXTREME CARE if/when a pressure washer must be used....Lowest pressure possible, at a 45 degree angle, staying away form the edges!!!

Hope this helps some.

GO BUCKS!!

Bob

FUNX650
10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
PM sent.

Bob

My Detailing Guys
10-24-2011, 04:41 PM
PM sent.

Bob

Thank you so much Bob for the information. :dblthumb2:

Greg

My Detailing Guys
10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
It sounds like you have a source of water (RE: Pressure sprayer/water Tank?)...please correct me if I'm wrong

This is how I do it, most of the time, on my PPF (same as a vinyl graphic)....You may want to try it, also.

Using the two (2) bucket system:

-You can wash vinyl graphics with your mixture of mild car wash shampoo/water....be sure to spot test on a small out-of-the-way section of vinyl first!
- Use soft cotton or MF wash mitt...no brushes (they'll leave scratches and dull the vinyl's finish).
-Always wash/dry vinyl graphics in one direction....no circular motions
- Top_down washing method as usual.
- If you find that some areas may have some difficult contaminates (tar spots, exhaust stains, etc.)...carefully spot clean with IPA/Water mixture, or Citrus-based cleaner (P21S/S100) and immediately clean with your shampoo solution. (these areas will definitely need some amping-up later.)
-After you’ve washed the vehicle, rinse with clean water. Then:
-Let the vehicles' vinyl air dry, or use a soft MF towel...again no circular motions.
Have all the above products. :xyxthumbs:

After the vehicle/graphics have dried, you may want to apply some product to amp-up the gloss/shine:

-Never apply any carnauba-based wax over vinyl graphics.
- Use a synthetic spray detailer that is clear---No Coloring---and gently wipe/buff with soft MF towel. Another product you can use is from XPel...it's their sealant for clear-bras/graphics...I sure wish I had known about this earlier, I'd send you some....Perhaps PM me?...I'm in Ohio.

{Note: It was recommended that I use TW ICE Synthetic Detailer (A Very Clear Synthetic Product), for amping-up purposes, on all of the PPF on my vehicles...After almost 5 years the PPF looks great (except for some rubber marks and, idiotic actions from doofus-folks at car shows/cruise-ins) :)
This is one of my concerns the car had someone already damage the graphics. Only one of the cars has graphics.

You seem to have concerns about pressure washing:

IMHO:Use pressure washing only as a last resort!
Pressure washing can:
-Cause the edges to lift and start peel.
-Pressure washing can cause the vinyl to lose its sheen, cause cracks/chip away.
- Use EXTREME CARE if/when a pressure washer must be used....Lowest pressure possible, at a 45 degree angle, staying away form the edges!!!

After what you wrote here, I think I will (if needed) use the pressure washer as a hose by not using the gun. I have used the pressure washer this way before and it works just like a hose (low pressure).

Hope this helps some.

GO BUCKS!!

Bob

ShaunD
10-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I have used 303 on several details involving graphics. As long as the vinyl isn't oxidized it brings back that like new/better than new shine. I used XMT360 on older/oxidized vinyl and it looked like new again. Similar to what has been stated, if you know that company that produced the graphics material then you can check with them for maintenance/detailing recommendations. Clear vinyl(most that are clear a urethan type material) from Xpel and 3M can be treated like clear coat when it comes to the products you can use on it. 303 would work on clear as well just may require a final buff once dry/cured to give extra clarity. Sounds like a nice high profile job you are working on.

My Detailing Guys
10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I have used 303 on several details involving graphics. As long as the vinyl isn't oxidized it brings back that like new/better than new shine. I used XMT360 on older/oxidized vinyl and it looked like new again. Similar to what has been stated, if you know that company that produced the graphics material then you can check with them for maintenance/detailing recommendations. Clear vinyl(most that are clear a urethan type material) from Xpel and 3M can be treated like clear coat when it comes to the products you can use on it. 303 would work on clear as well just may require a final buff once dry/cured to give extra clarity. Sounds like a nice high profile job you are working on.

Thanks for your input. I know the graphics are not oxidized, and are fairly new. I should ask the customer if the graphics are by XPel or 3M (if they even know).

Greg