PDA

View Full Version : How to clean exhaust pipe?

kaboose786
10-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Which metal polish you guys recommend? I heard P21S Multi Surface Finish restorer is good but its not available from where i am ordering so is there any good metal polish that i should be looking for? Also what is the point of using steel wool? Do i use it for outside of exhaust or inside? What do i apply metal polish with? Where can i buy steel wool?

alko
10-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I just used P21S on my chrome exhaust ti[s and it worked really well. AG sells it so why not order from them? I'm not sure about steel wool as I have not used that.

BMW
10-24-2011, 07:37 AM
You can use steel wool for both the outside and inside, but I typically use it if nothing else works...I would use the finest you can purchase which is "0000" Steel Wool which you can pick up nearly everywhere including Wally-World. I just use Mother's Chrome Polish to polish mine chrome tips.

C. Charles Hahn
10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
#0000 steel wool with P21S TAW as lubricant/cleaner, then polish with whatever is appropriate for the material of your tips (polished stainless, chrome, etc.)

I particularly like the foaming P21S TAW/S100 TCC

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/Exhaust1.JPG

http://hahn-on-the.net/pictures/detailing/Exhaust2.JPG

shoeless89
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I use Optimum Metal Polish and 0000 steel wool. I've tried MF's but they never give me the results I'm looking for

kaboose786
10-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I just used P21S on my chrome exhaust ti[s and it worked really well. AG sells it so why not order from them? I'm not sure about steel wool as I have not used that.

shipping to canada is too much. Also i need it asap

LuxuryMobile
10-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Steel Wool is easy to get locally at a hardware store and some auto supply stores. And I'm sure you can find a decent metal polish locally if you need it asap.

IndeedSS
10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
If you need local, try liquid Blue Magic metal polish found at most auto parts and some big department stores. I used it for years on motorcycle pipes and it would take non clear coated brushed aluminum wheels to a chrome like finish.

kaboose786
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Well i am ordering everything from this site locally so i will get it delieverd asap. I decided to go with Optimum Metal Polish . Is it worth it?

onlycodered
10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Well i am ordering everything from this site locally so i will get it delieverd asap. I decided to go with Optimum Metal Polish . Is it worth it?Yes! Totally worth it! I used this Optimum's polish on my exhaust tip which I believe had never previously been cleaned on my '07 Civic Si and it turned out great! I'd also recommend picking up Poorboy's Wheel Sealant as it can also be used on exhaust tips and can withstand very high temperatures. Makes cleaning them a breeze in the future.

M0nk3y
10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
If you need local, try liquid Blue Magic metal polish found at most auto parts and some big department stores. I used it for years on motorcycle pipes and it would take non clear coated brushed aluminum wheels to a chrome like finish.

My go to OTC product, works very well.

Yes! Totally worth it! I used this Optimum's polish on my exhaust tip which I believe had never previously been cleaned on my '07 Civic Si and it turned out great! I'd also recommend picking up Poorboy's Wheel Sealant as it can also be used on exhaust tips and can withstand very high temperatures. Makes cleaning them a breeze in the future.

+1 Poorboys Wheel Sealant makes cleaning a breeze, it's amazing how much easier the work gets