PDA

View Full Version : LC Kompressor HT pad is no more

DaC
10-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Well... I was doing only my third car with these pads and it gave up life....
The day was hot... I guess around 29-33C and it might have played a role, because the other 2 cars I did before, were cold days.

I won't personally get this pads again, even because I use a Griot's ROP
I'm not saying they are no good. I'm a beginner and might have pushed too hard these pads, but I'll sticky to a more traditional flat pad...

Question is.... can I still use these pads ? Or is it trash ?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3492/dsc06126x.jpg

PPLd
10-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Orange is cutting pad...
you cant use it to wash your car like a finishing pad.

You may consider cut the "cell structures" off and see if that turn the pad into a flat orange pad?

Rsurfer
10-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Well... I was doing only my third car with these pads and it gave up life....
The day was hot... I guess around 29-33C and it might have played a role, because the other 2 cars I did before, were cold days.

I won't personally get this pads again, even because I use a Griot's ROP
I'm not saying they are no good. I'm a beginner and might have pushed too hard these pads, but I'll sticky to a more traditional flat pad...

Question is.... can I still use these pads ? Or is it trash ?

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3492/dsc06126x.jpg
Did you go over some emblems?

DaC
10-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Did you go over some emblems?

No and all of them were taped and.

But I do went over edges.... I mean... I don't think edges should be a issue because it's a DA and it's impossible to get to the edge of a panel without the pad getting over the other panel also...

Orange is cutting pad...
you cant use it to wash your car like a finishing pad.

You may consider cut the "cell structures" off and see if that turn the pad into a flat orange pad?

This actually the tangerine hydro tech kompressor pad. So it's a polishing pad...
And I wasn't wash (or wax?). I was polishing using Meg's Ultimate Compound this time (ultimate polish on the other 2 cars).
Cut the pads ? Well..... lol.... never thought about it.... I guess I would end up with a torn flat pad....

PPLd
10-24-2011, 06:35 AM
This actually the tangerine hydro tech kompressor pad. So it's a polishing pad...
And I wasn't wash (or wax?). I was polishing using Meg's Ultimate Compound this time (ultimate polish on the other 2 cars).
Cut the pads ? Well..... lol.... never thought about it.... I guess I would end up with a torn flat pad....

Sorry for my bad English,
what I was trying to say is...
some people will use their finishing pads to wash cars.
(think ShMitt or Ulti-mitt.. the same foam material as machine pads)
so you may consider using your pad to wash it IF it is a finishing pad.

DaC
10-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Sorry for my bad English,
what I was trying to say is...
some people will use their finishing pads to wash cars.
(think ShMitt or Ulti-mitt.. the same foam material as machine pads)
so you may consider using your pad to wash it IF it is a finishing pad.

I got it now! :dblthumb2:
Unfortunately these are polishing pads.... but I think it's a great idea maybe I can scrub tire with them... maybe black mate plastic from bumpers.... :D

kgustafson4@msn.com
10-24-2011, 07:16 AM
all I can add is when i use green polishing pad or white or black or gold my prefferences the Kompressure pads always worked very well , depending on how much product to use with each pad or which pad to use with what polish/compound!

DaC
10-24-2011, 07:22 AM
all I can add is when i use green polishing pad or white or black or gold my prefferences the Kompressure pads always worked very well , depending on how much product to use with each pad or which pad to use with what polish/compound!

So you wouldn't use ti for cutting, but more to refine, right ?
I guess these pads don't like pressure very much...

Flannigan
10-24-2011, 07:27 AM
I really like the HT pads, and I like some of the kompressor pads, but I don't think they work at all when you combine them. I was very careful using these pads, and every single one of them has lost so many pieces they are now useless. I made sure not to go over anything sharp, and pieces still fly off of these pads after using them a few times. They do work while they stay together, but it's not in my budget to use a pad once and then throw it away. I won't be spending any more money on these pads. I'll stick to the flat HT pads that work great.

kgustafson4@msn.com
10-24-2011, 07:39 AM
exactly more to refine then to correct big scratches or very dull paint/faded paint. usually they are best for final polish with menzerma final polish 2 version or the new menzerma polish po85rd to jewel the paint to unbelieviable gloss! and this all done after claying/useing toughest pad to correct what you want done and then takeing that level of paint/clearcoat b and produceing the best gloss and mirror like reflections but in red for me! It is a marvel to see how glossy and reflective like mirror the paint can be! use ccs pads for regular working on paint, the pads with the blue next to where the attaching side of pad and the oppisite would have colors from gold,red,black,white,green,orange,yellow for compounding!!!!!!

umi000
10-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I've always read that the Kompressors work best on a rotary - stands to reason that the oscillating motion of a DA would put more stress on the structure of a pad than the circular motion of a rotary, and given that the Kompressors already have "pre-cut" lines of structural weakness...

DaC
10-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I really like the HT pads, and I like some of the kompressor pads, but I don't think they work at all when you combine them. I was very careful using these pads, and every single one of them has lost so many pieces they are now useless. I made sure not to go over anything sharp, and pieces still fly off of these pads after using them a few times. They do work while they stay together, but it's not in my budget to use a pad once and then throw it away. I won't be spending any more money on these pads. I'll stick to the flat HT pads that work great.

To take me the wrong way, but it's great to hear I'm not the only one....
I'm definitively stickying to flat pads now. But Will try to use Kompressor to refine as I still have 2 unused crimson and 1 gold kompressors pad here.

exactly more to refine then to correct big scratches or very dull paint/faded paint. usually they are best for final polish with menzerma final polish 2 version or the new menzerma polish po85rd to jewel the paint to unbelieviable gloss! and this all done after claying/useing toughest pad to correct what you want done and then takeing that level of paint/clearcoat b and produceing the best gloss and mirror like reflections but in red for me! It is a marvel to see how glossy and reflective like mirror the paint can be! use ccs pads for regular working on paint, the pads with the blue next to where the attaching side of pad and the oppisite would have colors from gold,red,black,white,green,orange,yellow for compounding!!!!!!

Very nice... I'll keep this thought in mind.... I only did 3 cars for now, but I might say kompressors pads did finished amazing.... I never used anything before it, so I can't compare.....
This was my mission when the pads failed...
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/8874/dsc06065w.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8545/dsc06095yp.jpg

This car was really really bad.... all of it....
I also think that Meg's Ultimate Polish / Compound leave too much oil behind, I was wondering if this happens with 105/86/205 also because they're my polishes to arrive...

I've always read that the Kompressors work best on a rotary - stands to reason that the oscillating motion of a DA would put more stress on the structure of a pad than the circular motion of a rotary, and given that the Kompressors already have "pre-cut" lines of structural weakness...

I just took this picture to show you how the pads are failing.... it seems to be something structural indeed...
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5737/dsc06130m.jpg

PPLd
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
This car was really really bad.... all of it....
I also think that Meg's Ultimate Polish / Compound leave too much oil behind, I was wondering if this happens with 105/86/205 also because they're my polishes to arrive...

In fact I found that the Ultimate Compound - Swirl X is a closer pair to M105/205...
The aggressiveness is ranked as:
Swirl X > M205 > UP
The reason that Swirl X is more aggressive than M205 is because a lot of customers buy Swirl X OTC, go home work by hand as they do not have access to machine. Meguiar's have to amp up the aggressiveness or people wont see the effect.
(On the other hand Ultimate Compound is less aggressive than 105 and easier to use, again UC is meant for OTC.)

Polish, in Meguiar's terminology, means some kind of glaze oil to feed the paint (think a leather conditioner).
Deep Crystal 2, M05, M07 are examples of their pure polish glaze oils.
These pure polish cannot remove defects but may hide them up.

UP is a new product that has very little amount of SMAT but tons of glaze oils.
If you like, you may use UC orange pad -> Swirl X white pad -> UP finishing pad to jewel the paint.

DaC
10-24-2011, 09:54 AM
In fact I found that the Ultimate Compound - Swirl X is a closer pair to M105/205...
The aggressiveness is ranked as:
Swirl X > M205 > UP
The reason that Swirl X is more aggressive than M205 is because a lot of customers buy Swirl X OTC, go home work by hand as they do not have access to machine. Meguiar's have to amp up the aggressiveness or people wont see the effect.
(On the other hand Ultimate Compound is less aggressive than 105 and easier to use, again UC is meant for OTC.)

Polish, in Meguiar's terminology, means some kind of glaze oil to feed the paint (think a leather conditioner).
Deep Crystal 2, M05, M07 are examples of their pure polish glaze oils.
These pure polish cannot remove defects but may hide them up.

UP is a new product that has very little amount of SMAT but tons of glaze oils.
If you like, you may use UC orange pad -> Swirl X white pad -> UP finishing pad to jewel the paint.

What about Ultimate Compound Oils ? Does it has some filling oils also ?