PDA

View Full Version : DW443 + LC Polishing pad + megs #80/83 = disaster

archerwin
02-14-2007, 05:19 PM
just got through a 3hr polishing session for my car... no... the car looked great after the detailing session... it was my 8" LC pad that had the problem... The foam pad delaminated from the velcro backing plate... was this expected if you continuously (well, not really continuous since i have to take 5 min break bet. panels) use the LC pad with a DW443.. i was not using it at speed#5 all the time... per panel, i think i dwell on the #5 setting for about 5mins per panel...

i complained to the local distributor here and he said to take some photos and he'll try to send it to the US, but it was a "long-shot".

for delaminated pads... can we glue back the velcro to the foam pad? if yes, what kind of glue can I use... thanks!

Truls
02-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Doesnt sound good at all, that should not happen, some bad factory glueing. was the pad new or have u washed it in washingmachine?

The pads can get some beating if not senterd properly, but first time i hear about that the velcro seperates from the pad. if the lokal distributor dont solve it for you, I would send them to LC, or e-mail them about it.

milky
02-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Bad news is that it normally happens.. the pad is too heavy for the oscillating motion of the 443. Sucks that the bp can't be changed. Anyway you can lessen it by tilting it over to the side though..

edit: I used to have an epoxy handy (the clear one) always.

archerwin
02-15-2007, 08:51 AM
here's the photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/archerwin/foam.jpg

Al-53
02-15-2007, 09:16 AM
I think a 8" pad is to big for a DW443..it has a 5" plate if I remember right...the big pad will not oscillate correctly just jiggle causing heat build up on the velcro surface...the bigger the pad the more surface resistance...meaning the pad sorta stays in one position while the backing plate oscillates on the top surface of the pad

I would try to use a 6" pad and then you may not have the problem...

I think now you are having heat build up between the velcro and the foam from a large pad with a 5 inch plate...

Al

Nica
02-15-2007, 09:18 AM
here's the photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/archerwin/foam.jpg

Dude where is the glue? I've never used the LC pads but when I finally chose my pads, this was one of the reasons why I chose Edge 2000. I've heard of others mention that when too much heat is produced the pads just fall apart...like I said that's just what I've read.

I'm curious to see how you make out, not a good situation to be in but I guess you could see it as a lesson learned...I guess :o

archerwin
02-15-2007, 11:41 AM
I think a 8" pad is to big for a DW443..it has a 5" plate if I remember right...the big pad will not oscillate correctly just jiggle causing heat build up on the velcro surface...the bigger the pad the more surface resistance...meaning the pad sorta stays in one position while the backing plate oscillates on the top surface of the pad

I would try to use a 6" pad and then you may not have the problem...

I think now you are having heat build up between the velcro and the foam from a large pad with a 5 inch plate...

Al

DW443 has a 6" backing plate. 6.5" foam is too small. unfortunately there's no available 7" or 7.5"

archerwin
02-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Dude where is the glue? I've never used the LC pads but when I finally chose my pads, this was one of the reasons why I chose Edge 2000. I've heard of others mention that when too much heat is produced the pads just fall apart...like I said that's just what I've read.

I'm curious to see how you make out, not a good situation to be in but I guess you could see it as a lesson learned...I guess :o

i think the glue is transparent... the orange glue was the contact cement i used to temporarily glue the pad to the velcro just so i can finish the last 3 panels ... :(

Al-53
02-15-2007, 06:49 PM
DW443 has a 6" backing plate. 6.5" foam is too small. unfortunately there's no available 7" or 7.5"

ok ..your right..it does have a 6 inch plate...some one makes a 5 inch pad for the dw443...I just forget who...it was a woodworking supply house..after market brand...

Anyways..lots of people use the DW443 with 6 1/2 " pads...or 6.75 pads...

I know at your location it may be hard to find those sizes...

I use a 6 in plate with 6.5 and 6.75 inch pads no problem...

hope you make out all right

Al