PDA

View Full Version : I had a screwdriver & was feeling ambitious today

Nick McKees37
10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I figured after 11 years and 187,000 miles on the road, it was time for a little routine maintenance on my daily driver, a 2001 Honda Accord. A couple weeks ago I placed an order online for a new window regulator/motor assembly and just out of curiosity, I checked what the price was for a new pair of cabin air filters. It was only $20 for the pair and I knew it would be easy to replace because I've had my dashboard apart plenty of times. Impulse buy? Absolutely.

Anyway, I had some free time today and the temperature has finally started to cool down here in southern Florida so I grabbed a phillips screwdriver and went to work.

After yanking out the glove box and disassembling the lower portions of the dash the slot for the cabin filters was exposed.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1123/IMG_4935.JPG

Yuck!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1123/IMG_4936.JPG

Compared to the new filters...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1123/IMG_4938.JPG

The main vent where the filters are inserted was clogged with leaves and other debris. I couldn't quite cram my hand in there so I had an idea. I turned the car on and set the fan speed to full blast and it worked like a charm.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1123/IMG_4940.JPG

That's just some of the debris that was blown out of the system when I turned the fan speed to high.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1123/IMG_4941.JPG

After putting in the new filters I took the car for a test drive. It still drove straight and the air smelled clean so I was a happy camper. Like a new lint roller or mini bottle of hand sanitizer at the check-out line at your local grocery store, some impulse buys are worth giving in to. :righton:

Jenn1270
10-23-2011, 03:51 PM
It is time for me to change mine again. Thanks for the reminder

BobbyG
10-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Nick, you are ambitious to say the least. I've never even attempted to locate mine nevertheless replace them....:props:

Fast Eddie
10-23-2011, 03:58 PM
When I saw screwdriver and ambitious in the thread title, I was thinking this has to have something to do with vodka and OJ. Those cabin filters look like they had seen better days :xyxthumbs:

MedicBMC
10-23-2011, 04:05 PM
I changed mine for the first time about 6 months ago! My AC has never blew colder and the air hasn't smelled this fresh since I bought my Honda. Easy fix that saves you $$ since the dealer always wants like $50 to install cabin filters

LuxuryMobile
10-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Always feels good to do things like this.

Now where is the write up where you clean all the leaves and junk out of the passenger floor area!?

Marc08EX
10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Man I remember my old 6th gen accord. It was a PITA to change the cabin filters..

FUNX650
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Did you get to fix your window regulator/motor assembly yet?
As usual, we expect a review on that process also!

If I may so suggest...Next time you change cabin filters...Before turning your fan speed to full blast, cover the filters' opening with a nylon stocking....it will help capture the debris.

:)

Bob

rider9195
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
I hope you cleaned up all those leaves :props:

embolism
10-23-2011, 07:04 PM
damn you have to take apart your dash to get to the filters?

mine is in the glove compartment behind a trapdoor after you remove the shelf... takes 2 min to swap in a new filter

did the 1992 civic have a cabin filter? Can't recall ever changing it if so... haha

ScottB
10-23-2011, 07:28 PM
I change mine in the Vette annually, so easy in the C6 as they designed a little door above the battery. I change it on the wifes car twice annually as its a daily driver, and everytime I cut the crap out of my hand.

Alex Boyce
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
When I saw screwdriver and ambitious in the thread title, I was thinking this has to have something to do with vodka and OJ. Those cabin filters look like they had seen better days :xyxthumbs:

LMAO, I did the same thing! I saw it and said "uh yup I'm going to check this one out its going to be good!" haha

Nick McKees37
10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Always feels good to do things like this.

Now where is the write up where you clean all the leaves and junk out of the passenger floor area!?

I know this comment is worthless without pictures, but we're all well aware of the suction power provided by a Metro Vac N' Blow. It made quick clean up of all the loose leaves and other junk that came out of the vents. :xyxthumbs:

Did you get to fix your window regulator/motor assembly yet?
As usual, we expect a review on that process also!

If I may so suggest...Next time you change cabin filters...Before turning your fan speed to full blast, cover the filters' opening with a nylon stocking....it will help capture the debris.

:)

Bob

Yes! I fixed the window a couple weeks ago. It's a common problem with the 6th Gen Accords. The window seal is poorly designed from the factory and when the window itself goes up it pinches the seal and the window doesn't always sit properly. As this happens on a regular basis, it causes excessive wear on the window regular/motor assembly. I had to special order the window seal and replace it along with the window regular/motor assembly. Fortunately enough someone at Honda was paying attention and the replacement window seal features a superior design that stays in place and the window itself doesn't get caught up on it.

That crossed my mind Bob, it really did, but sometimes I like to make things a challenge! I was more concerned about not having any left over screws. :dblthumb2:

I change mine in the Vette annually, so easy in the C6 as they designed a little door above the battery. I change it on the wifes car twice annually as its a daily driver, and everytime I cut the crap out of my hand.

How bad do they usually look after one year? I knew mine would be in bad shape, but didn't expect anything that bad.

sohail99
10-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I clean my cabin air filters every 2 months and the engine air filter gets replaced every 3-4 months or so!

Great job Nick! :xyxthumbs:

ScottB
10-24-2011, 06:27 PM
the Vette is never driven so usually looks new. The Cadillacs show some dirt and contamiments but still see new areas. I much prefer the charcoal versions and they often cost only a few bucks more.