PDA

View Full Version : DA on plastic facias?

jreblackGT
10-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I got a workout today on a new dark blue BMW 3 series. It had some swirls of course and some hard clearcoat. Worked my way up to UC which is the strongest thing I had on hand and finally got the vast majority of them out but I was wishing I had some Megs 105.
Anyway I was wondering what the consensus is on using a DA and polishing compounds on the plastic facias over the bumpers, and in this case, the front fenders. I did them mostly by hand as I didn't know if the friction and heat generated by a DA would be excessive. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mark58
10-22-2011, 10:47 PM
I got a workout today on a new dark blue BMW 3 series. It had some swirls of course and some hard clearcoat. Worked my way up to UC which is the strongest thing I had on hand and finally got the vast majority of them out but I was wishing I had some Megs 105.
Anyway I was wondering what the consensus is on using a DA and polishing compounds on the plastic facias over the bumpers, and in this case, the front fenders. I did them mostly by hand as I didn't know if the friction and heat generated by a DA would be excessive. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I used Ultimate Polish on my Cadillac dumpers and had no problems. Look like new.

JonMiles
10-22-2011, 11:06 PM
its no problem to polish the paint on plastic panels with a DA.

jreblackGT
10-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure today so I played it safe but I knew you guys would set me straight.

JonMiles
10-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure today so I played it safe but I knew you guys would set me straight.

Just take the extra time to tape up trim contained in the fascia and treat it just like everything else. That extra 10 minutes to tape will make life much easier with the cleanup.

Setec Astronomy
10-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Just be careful if you are using small pads that you don't overheat the paint; the plastic doesn't dissipate the heat like metal does. Don't dwell too long on one spot and feel it periodically to make sure it's not getting too hot. You won't get a lot of warning that something is going wrong.

ShineTimeDetail
10-22-2011, 11:57 PM
And make sure there are no stress cracks or you could end up with this!!!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/42283-should-i-pay-not.html

jreblackGT
10-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks again guys. In the future I'll go easy and I should be ok. I saw your post when uou put it up shinetime- yikes!

IndeedSS
10-23-2011, 07:22 PM
I used my DA on my 2010 Camaro this past week and was worried like you about the facia. I used a 4" gray pad with UC without a problem. I did check the facia a couple of times early in the process to make sure the panel wasn't getting warm. Oh and this was my first time doing paint correction, much less using a machine.