PDA

View Full Version : DP interior protectant V.S Meguiars Ultimate Protectant

Pages : [1] 2

opie_7afe
10-22-2011, 08:14 PM
well here is my comparison view of detailers pro interior protectant(DPIP) and meguiars ultimate protectant(MUP).

first off in this comparison review is information of both products.

Detailers Pro Interior Protectant

Bottle: Black Round Spray bottle(I'm using the sample bottle however)
Size: 32oz
Color Of Product: Light Blue
Product Separation: Observed separates into 2 clean layers. must be shaken well
Smell: Imitation banana smell
Constancy: A little thicker than water
Price: $19.99
Manufacturers Directions:

If your interior is badly soiled, use Detailer’s Pro Series Total Interior Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dp340.html) to remove tough spots from the vinyl, plastic, and rubber.
Spray a microfiber applicator pad with Detailer’s Pro Series Interior Surface Protectant and wipe the dashboard, trim, and door panels.

I love this interior protectant, has low shine, non greasy, lasts a good while, great scent, does have some cleaning abilities. It is also dry to the touch which I love because it lessens how much dust collects but still does collect dust. very easy to apply using a microfiber applicator pad, the product will darken the trim/dash, as the product goes on it does look like it has a high shine untill the product levels out and turns into a nice sheen. You also do not use a lot of this product i do 4 sprays on pad and that does my whole dash then i do 1 or 2 sprays on pad for each panel, of course thats using the sample size bottle so full size may be different. All in all its a great product and I love it!

Meguiars Ultimate protectant

Bottle: Black rectangular squeeze bottle
Size: 12oz
Color Of Product: Yellow tinted
Product Separation: Have not tested, but says to shake well
Smell: like a kitchen/bathroom cleaner.
Constancy: almost like cooking oil maybe?
Price: $8.99
Manufacturers Directions: Apply a thin layer of Meguiars Ultimate Protectant onto desired surface with a soft microfiber or foam applicator. Rub it in, Wipe off excess then let dry.

This product is good for interiors but to me not the greatest, I like it way better for exteriors. Guessing why they renamed it ultimate black. The product does darken slightly more then the DPIP. It also leave the surface slightly oily feeling, it probably wouldn't be as oily if i wiped off the excess but i figured i did a thin enough coat. On the positive side it is not overly shiny, has a touch more shine than the DPIP. The product does collect more dust than the DPIP.One thing i do not like is the bottles top, unless you turn it completely upside down it will leak product all around the hole in the cap which will make a mess over time, and with it not being a thick product it comes out of the bottle fast. So i need to transfer into a spray bottle or squeeze bottle to defeat that small issue. like i said this product works better on the exterior.
That's it for the text portion of the review, now onto my comparison pictures. hope this helps someone with a decision!.

http://i.imgur.com/ABEuf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/I6bL9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rySzO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/upusm.jpg

Bunky
10-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the review. I think the camera flash can make it look glossier than it is. How much did you buff after your initial application.

DP's sheen can be reduced with some buffing. Also, with any protectant, the less you apply can help reduce the sheen especially if you apply to the applicator and spread rather than spray surface directly.

Bacon
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for taking the time with the project!

I currently use Meguiars Ultimate Protectant ($7.99), and as you showed/stated it gives a nice gloss. If I want a clean matt look I use 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner($10.99), I like this product allot because not only does it work great but you can spray it EVERYWHERE including all plastics and even your navigation screen.

Thanks....have a great Sunday!

:dblthumb2:

Bacon

opie_7afe
10-23-2011, 12:54 PM
i didnt buff afterwards, i love the sheen of the DP anyways, not overly shiny just a nice sheen. so i don't buff and same with the megs ultimate protectant as most consumers don't buff off afterwards, and only did a small portion of my dash with the megs..also i never spray anything directly on the surface of a interior, exception is glass. main reason why i don't is just to be extra careful to not leave those drip trails you get with some cleaners ect. however thank you for the tips! and yes camera flash can make stuff look glossier. i just use a point and shoot with automatic flash most of the time, i'm not a pro photographer lol.

Jenn1270
10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
I really like the DP and it is my goto product

Jossy92
10-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the great review, good pictures. :)

I find that the UP is non greasy and leaves a nice glow, unless I apply too thick and don't rub it in. As advertized it is intended to be aplied like a wax but worked in to the surface and allowed to cure. Sort of a CC for plastic, rubber and vinyl.

for my '88 HondaThe UV protection is just as important for the exposed interior as for the exterior trim.

Thanks for the great write up.

Meguiars Ultimate Protectant, rubber and vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-protectant.html)

TheCougarGuy
10-24-2011, 08:01 AM
I love how the DP interior protectant works but after applying, on a hot day, it emits a very strong odor which give me quite a headache. I have no issues during the cooler weather.

Have anyone else noticed this?

Lasthope05
10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
I love how the DP interior protectant works but after applying, on a hot day, it emits a very strong odor which give me quite a headache. I have no issues during the cooler weather.

Have anyone else noticed this?

I've noticed this. Its almost like a spoiled milk/vomit smell to me. One of the reasons I stopped using it.

My interiors now either get UIGP,Mothers protectant/303(very similar), or Megs QID.

mwoolfso
10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I wonder how DP and Megs would compare with Lexol? Anyone? I have only used Lexol and I have to tell you that the level of dust that accumulates on my dashboard is so minor that maintenance is a breeze. Lexol darkened my interior, which gave it a nice deep black along the lines of a matte finish; just what I need because glare in the interior is annoying and dangerous.

shoeless89
10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
303 stole my heart :)

Bobby B.
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
The DP looks better IMO but I still would have buffed it dry about 10 minutes later.

http://i.imgur.com/ABEuf.jpg

Jossy92
10-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Would it be possible to try another picture? Strong sunight is coming from the left of the screen. Even the captions on either side of the "none" are affected: the left side is washed out, compared to the right.

I am thinking of trying DP based on recommendation here. just want to make sure, before ordering.
:)

Bacon
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Would it be possible to try another picture? Strong sunight is coming from the left of the screen. Even the captions on either side of the "none" are affected: the left side is washed out, compared to the right.

I am thinking of trying DP based on recommendation here. just want to make sure, before ordering.
:)

The visual difference is so minimal perhpas even non-exsistent even with the best picture taking IMO. Its hard to go wrong with these 2 or any of the others discussed.

If however you did a 50/50 with 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner you would see a clear visual difference...matt vs gloss
good luck :dblthumb2:

Bacon

opie_7afe
10-25-2011, 12:12 AM
the DPIP will probably give you more uses, i needed less of the dpip then i did the meguiars and the dpip was thinner.but there really isnt much of a difference between the 2 the dpip is just a touch more matte then the megs, but this is just my opinion. i like the feel of the dpip better. i will check the dash later on and see if one side has collected more dust then the other. i have 2 more interior products i picked up earlier im going to test out see how they work for otc products.

Kitoy22
10-25-2011, 05:58 AM
303 stole my heart :)

:props: