PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

Pages : [1] 2

MedicBMC
10-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Background:
I've got a 2004 Honda Element which like most I unknowingly had neglected until I found AGO. This car is my DD which I drive to work (30mi.) and out and about. It has plenty of swirls and micro marring from taking it to the car wash etc., and now that I'm aware of how ugly all the swirl marks look and just the lack of luster I want to bring my finish back to life.

Now that the SEMA promotion is going on I want to jump on it and get the things I need, but I need your help first.

For the past 2 months I've been doing research it seems the more I keep reading about compounds and polishes the more my head starts to spin.

So I'm looking for your TOP pick on an easy to use, reasonably priced compound/polish that will remove swirls and other defects and the proper foam pads. :buffing:

Here is my shopping list so far:
PC 7424xp
5" backing plate
5.5" pads?
compound?
Klasse HGSG
Collinite 845
Duragloss Aquawax
Sonax full effect wheel cleaner
microfiber towels

Thanks in advanced for all the help.:thankyousign:

-Brice

onlycodered
10-20-2011, 07:04 PM
I own a Honda as well and I have to say the clearcoat is quite soft. Last time I polished I had tried the Meguiar's MF system and the finishing pad actually left some micro-marring so I'd recommend staying away from the microfiber pads for a Honda.

If you want to attempt just a 1-step polish on your Element I'd have to say my current go-to combination for my black Civic Si would be a 5.5" white LC pad with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on my 7424XP. This will provide enough cut to eliminate most of the swirls on your Element but will finish down nicely enough to go straight to your LSP. I can say this with confidence as I have a black car and I've had no issues. If you want a bit more cut you could opt for the orange pad instead but it may not finish down as well.

I'd recommend picking up some Blackfire Wet Diamond as well. It's my personal favorite sealant and I know it's a favorite among many others in the detailing community. It's VERY easy to apply and can last up to 6 months if you take good care of your car.

alko
10-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I own a Honda as well and I have to say the clearcoat is quite soft. Last time I polished I had tried the Meguiar's MF system and the finishing pad actually left some micro-marring so I'd recommend staying away from the microfiber pads for a Honda.

:iagree: I agree with the above as I've been having problems with the Meg's MF system. Not to say it doesn't work, I don't think its beginner friendly. I had an 08 Accord and now an Acura TSX (both black). Believe it or not, the Sonus SFX (2-4) line worked really well on both cars. I used the Porter Cable 7424XP with Lake Country CCS pads (orange, white, red). I just ordered the Wolfgang Duo Kit to finish what I started last weekend with the Meg's MF kit:

Create a flawless finish in 2 simple steps with the Wolfgang Duo. (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgangduokit.html)

I will post my results next week. My last step product (LSP) will be 2 layers of Collinite 915.

There are alot of products out there and you'll find out that different strokes for different folks is so true. Either way it goes, AG and AGO are very resourceful. I also recommend their youtube channel: autogeek's Channel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/autogeek)

MedicBMC
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM

If you want to attempt just a 1-step polish on your Element I'd have to say my current go-to combination for my black Civic Si would be a 5.5" white LC pad with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on my 7424XP. This will provide enough cut to eliminate most of the swirls on your Element but will finish down nicely enough to go straight to your LSP. I can say this with confidence as I have a black car and I've had no issues. If you want a bit more cut you could opt for the orange pad instead but it may not finish down as well.

I'd recommend picking up some Blackfire Wet Diamond as well. It's my personal favorite sealant and I know it's a favorite among many others in the detailing community. It's VERY easy to apply and can last up to 6 months if you take good care of your car.

I was really interested in the MF system, but I remember reading somewhere that it doesn't do to well on soft Honda paint. That's great to know though because I have some UC that was given to me. I'll definitely look into the Blackfire Wet Diamond. Thanks!

:iagree: I agree with the above as I've been having problems with the Meg's MF system. Not to say it doesn't work, I don't think its beginner friendly. I had an 08 Accord and now an Acura TSX (both black). Believe it or not, the Sonus SFX (2-4) line worked really well on both cars. I used the Porter Cable 7424XP with Lake Country CCS pads (orange, white, red). I just ordered the Wolfgang Duo Kit to finish what I started last weekend with the Meg's MF kit:

Create a flawless finish in 2 simple steps with the Wolfgang Duo. (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgangduokit.html)

I will post my results next week. My last step product (LSP) will be 2 layers of Collinite 915.

There are alot of products out there and you'll find out that different strokes for different folks is so true. Either way it goes, AG and AGO are very resourceful. I also recommend their youtube channel: autogeek's Channel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/autogeek)

That was the main reason I started this thread though because I was pretty set on the MF system until I read your experience. I'm looking forward to see how WG duo goes for you....maybe I'll give it a shot in the future once I get some experience under my belt.

alko
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
My experience my not be like others experience. It could have been a number of things...the pad size, technique, too much product...etc. But to be honest...after working with the MF system, I have come to the conclusion that I like the feel of a foam pad. When I switched to the hydro tech pad and poli-seal I let out a big sigh of relief because it felt alot better. I will try the 5" pads later on in the future, but for now...I'm sticking with my 5" and 4" Lake Country CCS pads.

RaskyR1
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Meg's D300/MF cutting pad followed by 106fa on a tangerine or black foam LC pad.

I can list several threads with Honda owner that were very happy with the MF system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MedicBMC
10-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Well I've got 3 days to figure it out. I just want to take all the guess work out of it and get something that will be my go to because I plan on making this a serious hobby and do my friends, parents and gfs car.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

jreblackGT
10-21-2011, 01:05 AM
The UC should work good for you on a 5.5" LC white pad. 2 or 3 section passes may correct your soft paint but if not the SMAT abrasive UC can be worked more as needed and it does finish down pretty good.

onlycodered
10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I should probably rephrase what I previously said about the MF system on soft clearcoat. The MF system is fine on soft clearcoat ONLY if you use a foam pad for your finishing step. The microfiber has a bit too much cut for the soft clearcoat which causes the micro-marring, which is why using a softer foam pad is a better option on soft clearcoat.

If you want to get through the first cutting step really quickly though the cutting pad from the MF system is great, but this probably isn't the most cost-effective option since you'll probably be buying the 5" starter kit and won't end up using the finishing pads or finishing wax.

MedicBMC
10-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Yeah I'll probably just stick with UC with a white pad and see how that goes.

Is there any information out there about paint specs from the various manufacturers?

bugeye
10-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Sounds similar. This summer our 2004 Odyssey became the second test vehicle. The clear coat is softer than the 1996 Ford (1st test with new AG toys). Used Megs 205 on a LC white pad followed by Klasse high gloss sealant then collinite 845. WOW, the van never looked better. Had lots of swirls from the local wash service and years of neglect. Slick surface.

5Toes
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Dont get the Sonax. Overpriced in IMO... WAY OVERPRICED.

There are better alternatives, PM me

calhoun1
10-24-2011, 02:34 PM
If your plan is to do friend's cars and other than the Honda, the MF system sounds like it will work. While you may not use the finishing for your honda, it may be awesome for your friend's car.

Also having different choices will offer you a wider range if something doesn't work with the clear you are working.

Stick with the 5.5" pads on a PC. You can also get menz sip and 106FA. Personally I use those and have been very impressed. I may pick up the MF system next order and also need to try the 105 I ordered.

Go for a variety! It will give you the most options and allow you to find what works for any situation.

shoeless89
10-24-2011, 04:29 PM
As far as complete ease of use I think the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover, Finishing Glaze and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant take the cake. IMO they have the best all around properties. Klasse SG is tricky to apply and takes some time to learn. But when you do its a great product. Also Klasse works best when used after Klasse AIO to provide an acrylic base for it to bond to. My overall favorite compound/polish are Meguiar's #105/#205. For some people they take a little practice to really get the hang of but I love them. I would go with 5.5" LC Flat pads or 5.5" Hydro-tech pads, especially if you go with Wolfgang. Optimum also has some fantastic polishes. Good luck!

MedicBMC
10-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks guys I've pretty much made my mind up. I'll be going with the wolfgang line up and 845 using LC HT 5.5" pads.

Once I finish my car and get some practice I'll be getting the MF system for variety as well as some other products.