PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel to clean the paint

Pages : [1] 2 3

DaC
10-20-2011, 07:41 AM
I was wondering how safe is diesel fuel to be used on car's paint ?
Would you use it or get away of it ? And why ?

mark58
10-20-2011, 07:49 AM
I was wondering how safe is diesel fuel to be used on car's paint ?
Would you use it or get away of it ? And why ?

Diesel fuel will strip off any wax and it will clean tar from your car. It will work same as Kerosine and Paint thinner. All oil based products some more refined then other. It will not harm your clear coat or old one step paint.
If you drive a diesel car or truck and you refill your tank and spill some product does it harm the paint. Point made. LOL

DaC
10-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Diesel fuel will strip off any wax and it will clean tar from your car. It will work same as Kerosine and Paint thinner. All oil based products some more refined then other. It will not harm your clear coat or old one step paint.
If you drive a diesel car or truck and you refill your tank and spill some product does it harm the paint. Point made. LOL

So you say it's safe to use it on every wash ?

mark58
10-20-2011, 07:52 AM
So you say it's safe to use it on every wash ?

Why would you use it on every wash. If you have some tar on your car just wipe it off with diesel fuel or kerosine or Paint thinner (mineral spirits).

DaC
10-20-2011, 07:58 AM
Why would you use it on every wash. If you have some tar on your car just wipe it off with diesel fuel or kerosine or Paint thinner (mineral spirits).

I'm asking because I saw many car washes adding diesel to their regular wash solution....

jsgntulok
10-20-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't know why anyone would want to use diesel fuel as a tar remover. The smell of diesel fuel lingers, and lingers. There are just so many very effective products to use I never consider diesel fuel as a tar remover. My go to now is Tarminator. Very effective, easy to use and no lingering smell.

fredcandetail
10-20-2011, 08:03 AM
I would never do the above ..... There are way safer products

mark58
10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm asking because I saw many car washes adding diesel to their regular wash solution....
Have no idea why they would add diesel to wash unless they want to strip off your wax. Something does not sound right because now you are creating potential environmental hazard.

mark58
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
I would never do the above ..... There are way safer products
Safer products?
I just gave him a suggestion and pointed out that Diesel or kerosine will NOT harm your paint.

SeaJay's
10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
I have to agree that I also would not use any type of fuel on my car. There are products specifically made for these purposes.

I mean if I was in a pinch and I just happen to have some diesel or kerosene laying around I might try it. But certainly wouldn't make it a routine habit.

And in regards to local car washes adding it to their solutions....sounds like a rumor. Most car wash solutions are strong enough to strip wax from a car anyway...why add something else?

Just my opinions on the matter...take it for what it's worth.

DaC
10-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Have no idea why they would add diesel to wash unless they want to strip off your wax. Something does not sound right because now you are creating potential environmental hazard.

Yes, I agree with you, but you know.... faster and cleaner... regular costumer will like it a lot without knowing what's really going on..... actually most guys that do that really don't have a clue..... one said it won't even strip wax when I questioned him about it...
I'm asking it because I'm going into a joint work with a car wash.... and I really think their job will impact the overall impression of my polishing and lsp job...... so I'm pretty much thinking of buying quality shampoo and tell them "well.... with my costumers you'll only use this product"

SeaJay's
10-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Yes, I agree with you, but you know.... faster and cleaner... regular costumer will like it a lot without knowing what's really going on..... actually most guys that do that really don't have a clue..... one said it won't even strip wax when I questioned him about it...
I'm asking it because I'm going into a joint work with a car wash.... and I really think their job will impact the overall impression of my polishing and lsp job...... so I'm pretty much thinking of buying quality shampoo and tell them "well.... with my costumers you'll only use this product"

If your going into a joint venture with a local car wash, good luck trying to change the way they operate.

Typically a business like that, that's already established, has a regular client base, etc, are not going to start taking tips from a one man polishing business. Certainly try, can't hurt anything. Just don't get your hopes up too high.

mark58
10-20-2011, 08:16 AM
I was just trying to make a point that it is safe on car finish. Use the product you like or whatever works for you. Now look at your tar remover and see what it is made from.
Most are made from oil products.

DaC
10-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I have to agree that I also would not use any type of fuel on my car. There are products specifically made for these purposes.

I mean if I was in a pinch and I just happen to have some diesel or kerosene laying around I might try it. But certainly wouldn't make it a routine habit.

And in regards to local car washes adding it to their solutions....sounds like a rumor. Most car wash solutions are strong enough to strip wax from a car anyway...why add something else?

Just my opinions on the matter...take it for what it's worth.

Actually I was told by the owner of it....... and he probably learned this from someone else......
When you talk about wash solution stripping wax, you are referring about the non detailer stuff and not about megs or 3m, optimum, etc shampoo.... right ?

If your going into a joint venture with a local car wash, good luck trying to change the way they operate.

Typically a business like that, that's already established, has a regular client base, etc, are not going to start taking tips from a one man polishing business. Certainly try, can't hurt anything. Just don't get your hopes up too high.

Yes... that's why I'm keeping my mouth shut about all the stuff I see been done there.... I actually say "good job"..... because this is my opportunity to have quick access to clients that are willing to pay for my job and because I really liked the owner and some guys over there, nice people...

I was just trying to make a point that it is safe on car finish. Use the product you like or whatever works for you. Now look at your tar remover and see what it is made from.
Most are made from oil products.

I got your point and really appreciate your input. I tend to agree with you also.
But like you I'm really against about doing it on a regular basis.....

calhoun1
10-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Personally I would be wary of going into business with this guy. I am pretty sure the local government/constabulary would be quite upset to learn about diesel going into storm drains or sewer drains...