PDA

View Full Version : Help: Dirty bmw wheels

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

xios29
10-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm having a difficult time cleaning the X5 rims. The difficulty is on the flat part of the rim. It has alot of caked on brake dust that has pitted.

Any suggestions?

Thaknk you in advance

Bigpat
10-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Is this your car?, the best thing I can say is to swap out the brake pads with some Akebono ceramics I swapped mine out on my 745 and now it takes a month to get the same brake dust I used to get in a day... (figuratively speaking) my baby waits no month for a wash but u get the idea.... An ounce if prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Bigpat
10-20-2011, 07:27 AM
And sorry.... I know that want an answer to help u but can u get a few pics up

BMW
10-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I have an X5 as well...which wheels do you have? I have the Y-Spoke 335s...A pic or two would help. You will discover that for caked on brake dust the only thing that works is lots of Iron-X and agitation. Also, swapping out the brake pads for a BMW that is still under warranty and/or maintenance plan is not advised.

DLB
10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
First up for me would be Meg's Wheel Brightener.
Next, I suppose you could try Iron-X or Sonax FE, but I have never had luck with bad BMW wheels and either of those.

Last thing (what I did on the last bad set I had to "restore") is aggressive clay, patience, and time. I had a set of 650i wheels with severely baked on dust, and it took me a few hours to get them back into shape (but I got paid for it). This picture was taken after about 4-5 scrubbings with various cleaners (but not Meg's WB):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/650_2edit.jpg

That stuff had to be clayed off.

DLB

ronkh57
10-20-2011, 09:51 AM
PB Spray and rinse

If it's been caked for a while, you may have to scrub and clay, but after that just SR and rinse

BMW
10-20-2011, 10:36 AM
You have to be careful with Megs Wheel Brightener if any of the ferric grey paint is chipped or has curb rash. Megs will attack the bare aluminum and as an acid it will start to etch its way between the aluminum and the coating.

bobble
10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
If you use the Megs WB, really good last resort cleaner BTW, make sure the wheels are very wet and cold do not let it dry.
I've owned 4 BMW's and if the wheels get really dirty and the dust is pitted or sintered on you will have to clay and possibly polish them to get clean and like new. Once they are clean seal or coat them and keep it up. Good luck

DLB
10-20-2011, 10:50 AM
PB Spray and rinse

If it's been caked for a while, you may have to scrub and clay, but after that just SR and rinse
In the pic I posted above I had scrubbed with PB S&R two times already. It didn't touch that stuff (just for reference to the OP - I don't think I would try PB's since the WB is definitely stronger.)

I agree with what the other guys have said about the WB though - make sure you are spraying it on a coated wheel (not bare aluminum) or it will definitely leave it's mark.

Even at that, clay may be in order. Thank You BMW for brakes that dust like no other. :)

DLB

ronkh57
10-20-2011, 12:12 PM
In the pic I posted above I had scrubbed with PB S&R two times already. It didn't touch that stuff (just for reference to the OP - I don't think I would try PB's since the WB is definitely stronger.)

I agree with what the other guys have said about the WB though - make sure you are spraying it on a coated wheel (not bare aluminum) or it will definitely leave it's mark.

Even at that, clay may be in order. Thank You BMW for brakes that dust like no other. :)

DLB

Did you dilute the sr. I don't. NEVER had anything it couldn't handle.

BMW
10-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I agree...they are amazingly dusty. Great cars...killer stopping power, but they shed their body weight in brake dust every year.

DLB
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Did you dilute the sr. I don't. NEVER had anything it couldn't handle.No, straight from the bottle. I had used it on several other wheels, and it did pretty good, but it pales in comparison to the Meg's WB (which I do dilute). I still have some of it, and I have done some side by side with it and the WB.

I am not saying it isn't a good product, but I have met its limitations. I hope you never have to clean wheels nasty enough that it doesn't work for you, 'cause they ain't fun. :D

... they shed their body weight in brake dust every year.:laughing:

DLB

mdb917
10-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I agree...they are amazingly dusty. Great cars...killer stopping power, but they shed their body weight in brake dust every year.

:laughing: So true!

ronkh57
10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Actually the newer (after 2010) are ALOT better.
Don't throw off near as much crap.

Supposedly the replacement pads for all models are of the new material. (supposedly)

xios29
10-20-2011, 02:35 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/324d104e-77cd-2d70.jpg
This is one of BMW wheels