PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean headliner?

Pages : [1] 2

AutoFixation
10-19-2011, 09:17 PM
What products do you use and how for best results for cleaning headliners?

embolism
10-19-2011, 09:28 PM
many answers are but a search away

If not too nasty then spray folex on a terry towel and wipe in one direction. Try not to saturate the liner or you risk delamination.

ShineTimeDetail
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Steam!

fredcandetail
10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
I only use a foam product and a Terry cloth ... I've replaced a handful back in the dayvwhen I thought I our take chemical to every surface ... Then a few days after a detail a customer would come back with a saggy headliner ... Ooops!

big tyme
10-19-2011, 10:47 PM
For spot cleaning I use Woolite and water mix in a spray bottle, mist on and agitate with a tooth brush. Then follow up with a dry towel press & wipe. I do the steps as quickly as possible to avoid soaking the material. Do not saturate, like mentioned above. Depending on the headliner material it could respond differently so I would try a test spot first with what ever you use, make sure to let the test spot dry before you come to your conclusion. If you proceed without testing you could end up making the headliner look like it has an animal print, lol, whoops. Now for cleaning the whole headliner....never tried it and don't know if I dare to. I would like to see what others post for techniques for cleaning the whole headliner.

AutoFixation
10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Cool! Well thanks for all your help guys!

IID
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Ultima Interior Shampoo.
Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html)

Spray a couple sprays on a clean (non-bleeding color) MF,agitate with care.Take another clean (non-bleeding color) MF and blot any excess and then let dry.
This is my product and process for headliner cleaning and have yet to be let down.(Including NO dis-coloration)

Mobile detail
10-20-2011, 12:49 AM
I use the tornador with no problems as of yet.

DLB
10-20-2011, 07:59 AM
If not too nasty then spray folex on a terry towel and wipe in one direction. Try not to saturate the liner or you risk delamination.This is generally what I do.

But IID's Ultima method has my interest peaked.

DLB

SeaJay's
10-20-2011, 08:18 AM
many answers are but a search away

If not too nasty then spray folex on a terry towel and wipe in one direction. Try not to saturate the liner or you risk delamination.

This is my method as well. For tough stubborn stains or a really heavily soiled headliner. I vacuum it first, then go over it with my steamer and a terry cloth wrapped around the end. Works great!

rwright
10-20-2011, 08:27 AM
I use Folex, no rinsing or special steps required, simply spray and wipe :). What I find interesting and I'm not slamming the idea, people always preach "don't spray the headliner to avoid saturating it" but at the same time people are ok with using steam. Are they not concerned with the temperature of the steam affecting the adhesive? I'm sure it works ok but it's just funny to me!

SeaJay's
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I use Folex, no rinsing or special steps required, simply spray and wipe :). What I find interesting and I'm not slamming the idea, people always preach "don't spray the headliner to avoid saturating it" but at the same time people are ok with using steam. Are they not concerned with the temperature of the steam affecting the adhesive? I'm sure it works ok but it's just funny to me!

I've had this argument with a lot of people. And your right.

I was actually really wary of using steam on the headliners. But tried it a couple times on heavily soiled headliners and it works like a charm. Just keep the steam on the lowest setting and ensure I'm not in one area too long.

I have sprayed the products on the headliner first then wipe. I don't like doing it just because the rest of the vehicle will get the over spray all over it. So, I will spray it on my cloth then wipe.

rwright
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I've had this argument with a lot of people. And your right.

I was actually really wary of using steam on the headliners. But tried it a couple times on heavily soiled headliners and it works like a charm. Just keep the steam on the lowest setting and ensure I'm not in one area too long.

I have sprayed the products on the headliner first then wipe. I don't like doing it just because the rest of the vehicle will get the over spray all over it. So, I will spray it on my cloth then wipe.

I'm sure it works just fine and to be honest with you if I had a steamer I would use it on the headliner for the exact reason you listed in bold :xyxthumbs:. Even though I start with the headliner (working from top down) I would prefer not spraying Folex everywhere. By the way Jason, nice to see you posting again.

DLB
10-20-2011, 09:24 AM
I am glad you asked it, because I was thinking it.

Heck, I have saturated headliners before in have to situations and had no issues - but it isn't something I make a practice of.

Also - I agree - Jason, it's good to see you around.

DLB

SeaJay's
10-20-2011, 09:25 AM
I'm sure it works just fine and to be honest with you if I had a steamer I would use it on the headliner for the exact reason you listed in bold :xyxthumbs:. Even though I start with the headliner (working from top down) I would prefer not spraying Folex everywhere. By the way Jason, nice to see you posting again.

Thanks! It's nice to be back! Reading threads on my phone was getting old! We finally got my computer set up about a month ago. So now on rainy days like today when I can't be outside working, I hang out on the forum.