PDA

View Full Version : Glass science questions ????

dwengier77
10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
OK so for about 10 years now i have used RainX. I really liked it and it worked well for me and lasted a long time. However i decided to try something else and i purchased the Glass Science product. I followed the directions in applying it. It worked real well for about a month now. Now both cars i applied it to need another application of it. The longevity of it compared to RainX is really bad. Is this normal or am i maybe doing something wrong? The RainX usually lasted about 4 - 6 months.:confused:

dougaross
10-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Rain Science Anti-fog is pretty useless

WRAPT C5Z06
10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Glass Science glass scrub works well! Not that I'm answering your question.

BMW
10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
I was a steady Rain-X user as well...switched to Glass Science and thought it was terrible and went right back to Rain-X. But, now I am finally settled on Aquapel...I think it is easier to apply because doesn't create the streaking that can sometimes occur with Rain-X and it lasts much longer. That being said water beads do not travel quite as well with it as Rain-X so you may have to use your wipers a little more often at slower speeds.

yakky
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I was a steady Rain-X user as well...switched to Glass Science and thought it was terrible and went right back to Rain-X. But, now I am finally settled on Aquapel...I think it is easier to apply because doesn't create the streaking that can sometimes occur with Rain-X and it lasts much longer. That being said water beads do not travel quite as well with it as Rain-X so you may have to use your wipers a little more often at slower speeds.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed. IMO Aquapel is a PITA to apply/remove and doesn't work as well as even one month old Rain-X. For me, its faster to apply Rain-X monthly than it is to do the Aquapel treatment every six months.

cutter
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I was a Rain-X user untill I read a post on using Klasse Sealant Glaze on the windshield. I used this a few days ago and it repels water like crazy. Some hazing did occur but cleaned up with Stoner's and still left the repelling capabilities. I've read it last 4-6 months and hopefully it will.

Jons6.7
10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
I was also a rain-x user who decided to do the Aquapel after all the rave reviews on here. It's at least as hard to get put on right as rain-x, it does not bead as nice as rain-x and if you screw up and miss a spot you get to spend 4-8bucks to try again.

I have a big Dodge truck and that window was a pain, you have to hustle to get it all done before it dries and you have to end up buffing it as much as you do rain-x to get it done right.

I think its back to rain-x for me but YMMV and all that.

offthahorseceo
10-19-2011, 05:34 PM
i thought everyone here hated rain-x.

Bacon
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Glad its not just me....I tried Aquapel based on the positive reviews. I applied according to directions; it went out great!

Than it rained like hell and Aquapel performed like crap!

Any other options out there ?...if not, it looks like RainX may be the next attempt. With winter around the corner I need to try something soon.

:props:

Bacon

courtdale
10-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Interesting. Personally, I liked Rain-x for the repelling/beading, but didn't like the streaking. Finally got 2 Aquapel apps this week. Anxious to see the difference after this discussion.

BMW
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Yes I do agree...you have to be fast with Aquapel (it takes practice), but its longevity is very important for Indiana winters...not very practical to apply Rain-X in the dead of winter and salt spray seems to diminish Rain-X very very quickly.

I don't exactly follow the directions for Aquapel because holding the applicator to a windshield while squeezing and breaking the internal vial (per instructions) definitely induces streaking at that point. I hold it upside down, break, shake lightly then apply quickly.

yakky
10-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I have a big Dodge truck and that window was a pain, you have to hustle to get it all done before it dries and you have to end up buffing it as much as you do rain-x to get it done right.

I think its back to rain-x for me but YMMV and all that.

I use a wet rag after the two coats of rain-x have dried. Then I dry. No buffing required. Aquapel required at least 10 minutes of buffing on each car, I though the stuff would never disappear.

opie_7afe
10-20-2011, 01:25 PM
i just use meguiars #20 sealant, works great and i apply it to my car often enough it don't matter about longevity, but does last about 3 weeks on the father inlaws van i do product testing on LOL....i need to to get some lotus effect coating for my glass and paint, i want the kind that makes water stand up on the surface! but that's not possible i dont think..