PDA

View Full Version : car washing horror stories

Pages : [1] 2 3

swirlparanoid
10-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Post detailing/car washing horror stories you have seen over the years that made you cringe. Scrubbing with a brillo pad, dusting with a broom, washing with ajax etc

I used to watch my neighbor wash his black Cadillac DTS with a bath towel as the wash media. he would first fill up his bucket with Dawn and he would put soo much in that there was only 1/4th of the bucket with water in it the rest was suds, he never actually put the towel deep enough into the bucket to reach the water either. then he would throw the towel in it that was never cleaned and start to pre spray his paint with Windex. after he was done washing he would take the remaining water in the bucket and throw it on the car, then rinse and dry with paper towels. after he would apply about the 10th coat of Armor All foaming tire shine to his tires that had never been cleaned.
:bolt:

SeaJay's
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
I've had a few that would qualify I think....

Just did a 96 mustang that had sat for 2 years. Live mice, nests, feces, and urine are just some of the things I found.

Then had a customer who spilt what must have been some sort of Chinese food on his dash and never cleaned up the sauce. It baked onto the dash and once I broke the top layer it smelled like death!

And then I get the occasionally vomit....

Flash Gordon
10-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I saw a parking lot detailer washing a black Bentley with an RV brush. I watched him lay the brush on the asphalt, then dip it back in the bucket :)

erock
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
heres a great example of the old brillo pad bug removal trick....where do these people come from?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/39119-grandmas-carwash-nightmare.html

SeaJay's
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
I saw a parking lot detailer washing a black Bentley with an RV brush. I watched him lay the brush on the asphalt, then dip it back in the bucket :)

Ok that's bad! Especially since he's a so called detailer...If it was your average joe then maybe...but still!

I have seen people at gas stations take the window squeegee from the community bucket there and do a quick wash of their car in the winter....I just sit back and enjoy the show. No sense in talking to someone like that.

DJ Richard
10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
A neighbor just got a new suv and about a week later I saw the daughter spray something onto a broom and proceeded to broom off the car and then the mom yelled at her for doing it wrong and told her to spray more stuff on the broom.

Y2KSVT
10-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok that's bad! Especially since he's a so called detailer...If it was your average joe then maybe...but still!

I have seen people at gas stations take the window squeegee from the community bucket there and do a quick wash of their car in the winter....I just sit back and enjoy the show. No sense in talking to someone like that.

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I saw a lady use the window squeegee... on the inside of her windows. She started on the windshield and proceeded to all of the other windows in the car. Grossed me out, just thinking about it.

Y2KSVT
10-19-2011, 11:56 AM
A neighbor just got a new suv and about a week later I saw the daughter spray something onto a broom and proceeded to broom off the car and then the mom yelled at her for doing it wrong and told her to spray more stuff on the broom.

Mom to the rescue!! Im the MAN

Setec Astronomy
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM

Man that is too funny!

pixelmonkey
10-19-2011, 12:07 PM
i heard this one a few years ago while shopping in a grocery store.

"use the green scotch brite pads, not the brown ones, after they have soaked in water for 24 hours to remove bugs from your paint. if they have soaked for at least 24 hours they will not scratch the paint."

walked away laughing and shaking my head.

some people have their ideas and ways set. attempting to correct them or teach them a better way is only insulting to them.

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

Flash Gordon
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
My next door neighbors thirds cousins daughter washed the bugs off her car using a brillo pad

alko
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
My next door neighbors thirds cousins daughter washed the bugs off her car using a brillo pad

LMAO thats alot of people involved.

ThirdgenTa
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Few weeks ago I saw a mobile detailer at my neighbors house. I was kinda watching him to see what he was using and he was using paper towels and terry towels on the paint. I just shook my head. I later walked by to check the car out and it barely looked washed.

I also detailed someones Black expedition which had water deposits and spots all over it. It was pretty much rainbow colored because of the well water. This lady tells me over email that it's not that old and it shouldn't be hard or take too long. (Every time someone tells me that it takes me twice as long). So all the trim was faded so bad it was white too.
Well after adding a polish step for free and getting the water spots and staining off for free (extra hour and a half of work, no tip btw) I also used a ton of Ultima trim and tire guard plus on the trim. Well she says "Hey I have a trick" and she proceeds to rub baby oil all over all of the trim I just did. If I knew she was going to do that I would have used something cheaper or not done it at all!

cutter
10-19-2011, 05:55 PM

I remember that HORROR STORY!!! Man you can tell Halloween is getting close...lol...

I visited my Accountant today and she told me that they like to take their SUV through the Swirl-O-Matic that has the carpet strips, because it gets the back of the vehicle clean....:eek:

flyinion
10-19-2011, 06:02 PM

Ok I have to admit to having used the gas station squeegee to clean off headlights before in winter, but that's it. (and it was 3 cars ago as well)