PDA

View Full Version : Do You Guys Wear Masks?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

alko
10-19-2011, 07:35 AM
So...I get very random thoughts all the time...and after working with the Meg's MF system over the weekend, I started thinking about the dusting that I was seeing with this system. I started thinking about wearing a mask when I am performing paint correction.

While doing some searching on this forum about another random thought I had (wearing a back brace while detailing), I came across this thread....its an old one, but I wanted to rekindle it. I am going to be picking up some 3M particle masks that were recommended by the OP from this thread...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/8891-caution-about-dusting.html

So back to my question...who here wears masks while doing paint corrections?

Kristopher1129
10-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I wear a mask when I'm doing certain things. But correction is not one of them.

Flannigan
10-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Only time I do is when I'm using wheel acid. I'm sure there are other times I should, but I don't.

Harleyguy
10-19-2011, 07:54 AM
Very Rarely I do, ear protection is also something you should consider especially if using a DA .

Flannigan
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Very Rarely I do, ear protection is also something you should consider especially if using a DA .
I've never wore ear protection, and even at 26 I'm regretting it now. I can say for sure I can't hear as well now as I could when I was 16.

alko
10-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Yeah I need to get some ear protection as well. When I was a teenager, and I had my POS Ford Probe, I was one of those wanna be cool guys that drove around with the trunk thumping. I still have ringing in my ear. Its not as bad as it was then, but I regret it to this day.

Setec Astronomy
10-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Kudos to you guys for mentioning the hearing protection, loud bars and weddings are just as bad though.

I have only played with my MF pads a little bit, but other than some loose fibers coming off I didn't consider it dusty, and I thought one of the key features of the system was that it didn't dust?

alko
10-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Kudos to you guys for mentioning the hearing protection, loud bars and weddings are just as bad though.

I have only played with my MF pads a little bit, but other than some loose fibers coming off I didn't consider it dusty, and I thought one of the key features of the system was that it didn't dust?

I know right...I took advantage of ALOT of things as a teenager...my lungs-smoked since freshman year in high school. I quit 3 years ago-its been the hardest thing I've ever done in life. I still think about smoking almost every day. My hearing-had a very loud system in the car.

As far as the dusting goes...thats what I thought too but yeah...it dusted.

Flannigan
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
I know right...I took advantage of ALOT of things as a teenager...my lungs-smoked since freshman year in high school. I quit 3 years ago-its been the hardest thing I've ever done in life. I still think about smoking almost every day. My hearing-had a very loud system in the car.

I smoked for 5 years and quite two years ago now. I still have a cigar ever once in a while, but not very often. The only time I really miss it is when I'm sitting at a bar drinking. BUT since you can't smoke in bars here anymore it's not that bad. Congrats on staying smoke free for so long!

alko
10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I smoked for 5 years and quite two years ago now. I still have a cigar ever once in a while, but not very often. The only time I really miss it is when I'm sitting at a bar drinking. BUT since you can't smoke in barshere anymore it's not that bad. Congrats on staying smoke free for so long!

Congrats to you as well man. Anytime a kid asks me to buy him cigarettes I say no. I wish I had better role models when I was younger. I will be honest and say that most of the times I think about smoking I miss it. But that only lasts a few minutes. And yeah...you're right...you gotta go to the moon to have a square now-a-days. And when I quit, I also quit drinking as much. I tried to minmize alot of my associations with smoking. Only recently I've had a cigar a few times. I have one more at the house that I plan on smoking but I think I'm calling it quits after that. I've had more and more urges to smoke a cigar now.

alko
10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Back to my original topic...I'm putting a challenge out there....I challenge each and every one of you guys and gals to go out and buy some ear protection and masks. I plan on getting these this weekend...

Shop 3M Tri-Flange Reusable Corded Earplugs at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_74540-98-90586-80025_0__?productId=3102561&Ntt=ear+protection&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dear%2Bprotection&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID)

Shop 3M N95 Particulate Safety Mask Respirator at Lowes.com (http://www.lowes.com/pd_69110-98-8210_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=1097803&UserSearch=3m+product+%238210+particulate+respirat or+&Ntt=3m+product+%238210+particulate+respirator+&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24)

**AG doesn't sell any of these so I figured it was ok to include the link**

So whose up for the challenge?!?!?!?!

Setec Astronomy
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Is that maybe part of the problem you had, you used too much product? This is not a complaint I remember hearing about this system.

Flannigan
10-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Congrats to you as well man. Anytime a kid asks me to buy him cigarettes I say no. I wish I had better role models when I was younger. I will be honest and say that most of the times I think about smoking I miss it. But that only lasts a few minutes. And yeah...you're right...you gotta go to the moon to have a square now-a-days. And when I quit, I also quit drinking as much. I tried to minmize alot of my associations with smoking. Only recently I've had a cigar a few times. I have one more at the house that I plan on smoking but I think I'm calling it quits after that. I've had more and more urges to smoke a cigar now.
Yeah I smoke maybe 1 cigar a month, but when I run out, I might not go buy anymore. I guess I'll have to wait and see. It's expensive to get cigars that don't suck. LOL

DLB
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I have some cheap "surgical masks" that I will use on occasion, but not like I should. Heck, I just did my Crew Cab Truck with 105 (which dusts pretty good) and didn't ever have a mask on.

I use hearing protection sometimes (as in ear plugs) but a lot of times too I will listen to MP3's. At least the different wavelengths give your ears breaks now and then. A constant blast on your ears is what gets them. Plus I don't turn the music up really loud, I still like to hear the machine to listen to the RPM's/load.

Something else worth mentioning is Eye Protection. It doesn't come up a lot when detailing, but cleaning some wheels and engines you can get a good splash of some not so favorable chem's to the face. Also doing any kind of undercarriage/nasty headliner cleaning where you are looking up and dirt is falling down.

I greatly value my sight and hearing, so I usually do pretty good to protect those. I suppose I just don't think about the ill long term effects of breathing in junk since it is not so obvious always.

DLB

dad07
10-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Using personal protective gear is something we all SHOULD do.

I myself am guilty of not using them.

8yrs of the Army and 8in howitzers,15 years of building and racing dirt cars,loud music has taken its toll on my hearing.