PDA

View Full Version : Some basic questions...

muscle
10-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Now that my Jeep has been detailed, I want to maintain it. I have some basic questions.

1) How often should I clean the engine and dress it? Do you clean with every wash?

2) I used PERL on the exterior. Does this have to be removed before applying new coats on tires and trim?

3) How do you apply dressings like PERL on trim without getting it on either the paint or windows? This caused me a lot of headache.

4) Will Stoners or Megs window cleaner remove LSP?

snowking724
10-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Now that my Jeep has been detailed, I want to maintain it. I have some basic questions.

1) How often should I clean the engine and dress it? Do you clean with every wash?
4 to 6 months, give it wipe down with some APC and redress. Unless you live and work on dirt roads, than it depends on how often you feel like getting in there.
2) I used PERL on the exterior. Does this have to be removed before applying new coats on tires and trim?
Not sure haven't used this product. My guess would be that once you notice the looks starting to fade clean it with an APC and redress.

3) How do you apply dressings like PERL on trim without getting it on either the paint or windows? This caused me a lot of headache.
Little foam paint brushes from the hardware store. Very cheap and effective, buy many.
4) Will Stoners or Megs window cleaner remove LSP?
Depends on the LSP. Do you plan on using these on paint?

DLB
10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
1) How often should I clean the engine and dress it? Do you clean with every wash?Typically for my personal stuff - once a year, maybe twice. I don't drive in dusty conditions or anything, so my engines don't get that bad. Aside from that, I try to pop the hood as little as possible now. I have had a few project vehicles, and everytime you open the hood, you think of something else to spend money on. :D

2) I used PERL on the exterior. Does this have to be removed before applying new coats on tires and trim?I haven't used PERL, so I will defer.

3) How do you apply dressings like PERL on trim without getting it on either the paint or windows? This caused me a lot of headache.Use a foam paint brush as an applicator. I also have a rectangular tire applicator I use just for trim (the strait edges make it pretty easy).

4) Will Stoners or Megs window cleaner remove LSP?Like said above, depends on LSP. Generally, I wouldn't spray it on the painted surfaces - use a QD for that. If you are using it outside in the wind or something, just hold the nozzle close to the glass to get minimal overspray.

DLB