PDA

View Full Version : Claying a black car.

shrtbull
10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
I was told by a friend that a black car should never be clayed. I didn't believe this. So now I'm asking you all. Do you guys clay black cars? and if so, is there a specific kind of clay to use, on a black car?

Thanks
Gary

Kristopher1129
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Haha, of course we do. Nothing happens to black that doesn't happen to every other color.

My guess...your friend clayed a black vehicle, and couldn't remove the marring (which is more visible on black, but that's insignificant). Then in turn, he assumes you can't clay black. Definitely false. Every color needs clay.

I don't use any specific clay for black...same old, same old.

shrtbull
10-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Haha, of course we do. Nothing happens to black that doesn't happen to every other color.

My guess...your friend clayed a black vehicle, and couldn't remove the marring (which is more visible on black, but that's insignificant). Then in turn, he assumes you can't clay black. Definitely false. Every color needs clay.

Thanks
Gary

dtuna42
10-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I use (mostly) Meguiar's Professional Clay, and I have both Aggressive and Mild versions. I have noticed that the Aggressive clay has more of a tendency of marring on black cars, especially when in higher ambient and/or surface temperatures, but if the aggressive clay is needed, I use it. Anything "bad" the clay does is easily outweighed by the benefits, and is compounded or polished out with no problems.
I say that myth is busted...

JBL
10-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I was told by a friend that a black car should never be clayed. I didn't believe this. So now I'm asking you all. Do you guys clay black cars? and if so, is there a specific kind of clay to use, on a black car?

Thanks
Gary

Black Honda Accord; Meg's Mild clay bar with ONR/water as clay lube. Poorboy's Professional Polish made quick work of whatever marring was left behind.

Alex Boyce
10-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Agreed, I always clay black cars, including my own, if the paint is soft try a mild clay bar to avoid marrning. I used a pretty aggressive piece of clay on my impala and had no marring issues.

Make sure you use lube and use a bunch of it.

BillE
10-20-2011, 07:15 AM
In a word...YES!

Claying is the beginning of the process, any marring will be removed during the 'polishing' steps.

Bill

alko
10-20-2011, 07:53 AM
You DEFINITELY need to clay ANY car when doing any type of correction. Yes the clay will cause some marring and induce swirls, but that is to be expected. You should inquire about the aggressiveness of the clay. The only two that I have used are from the Mothers and Meguiar's clay kit. The Meg's, to me, is more aggressive vs Mothers. But to your original question...yes...clay any and all vehicles.