PDA

View Full Version : Stripping wax and sealant

Pages : [1] 2

quantim0
02-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Today it is time to strip my wax and sealant and reapply. Mostly for the reason that I want to enter my car in the WG contest and I have DP sealant on my car.

What is the easiest way to strip my paint down? I have AIO and put it on the hood with my PC and a grey LC pad. Do I need to work it into the paint, or just apply it and let it haze over?

Would a wipedown with 1:1 IPA take care of it also. AIO is pricey and being semi-broke, I don't want to use a lot of that expensive product if a $3 bottle of IPA would work the same.

chu
02-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I hear Dawn works well.

quantim0
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Yeah but it's raining today and I don't wanna have to take the car out of the garage.

coondog64
02-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Dont use Dawn! Your car is not a kitchen dish.

A simple paintclensing polish should do the trick. Even a polish like SSR1 would take off the wax and sealent when applied with a PC I beleive.

nick19
02-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Dont use Dawn! Your car is not a kitchen dish.

A simple paintclensing polish should do the trick. Even a polish like SSR1 would take off the wax and sealent when applied with a PC I beleive.

A low cut polish like XMT #1, PB's SSR #1, DP's Mild SSR, Pinnalce Paintwork Cleansing lotion, or P21s cleansing lotion will all work.

-Nick

abrcrombe
02-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Good luck with the show and shine! You always do good work so I can't wait!

justin_murphy
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Using Dawn to remove wax is a farce. It will clean good and will not harm anything if used every 3 months to give it a good cleaning. I tried using it to remove wax and the car still beaded like crazy while rinsing.........even after letting it sit for 10 minutes!!!

Polishing will remove any wax or sealant due to friction and chemicals/abrasives.

This is all you need to do.

ScottB
02-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Alcohol/water mixtures, AIO, paint cleaners and polishes all remove old waxes and sealants very easily. Dawn will strip some wax, but wont dent a sealant, and likely will cause decay of the rubber surrounds over time. Leave Dawn in the kitchen ...

quantim0
02-13-2007, 08:20 PM
I just did the rest of the car with the PC and Klasse AIO. I like the fact that it leaves a nice finish behind. Can the sealant bond right to this finish? I assume so becasue Klasses sealant can. I will be picking up some PCL or P21S lotion at detail-fest.

ScottB
02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
never found ANYTHING that did not like AIO underneath ... very versatile.

chu
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Listen to all of their comments, please disregard my amateur-ness!!!

justin_murphy
02-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Listen to all of their comments, please disregard my amateur-ness!!!

Don't feel bad. I too used to wash with Dawn.......and other stuff!

I call it ignorance. I had it. We all did. That's why we are here now! To help and educate.

It's how it is brought across. We all do a fine job of taking care of things the right way here.

William H. Bonney
02-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Today it is time to strip my wax and sealant and reapply. Mostly for the reason that I want to enter my car in the WG contest and I have DP sealant on my car.

What is the easiest way to strip my paint down? I have AIO and put it on the hood with my PC and a grey LC pad. Do I need to work it into the paint, or just apply it and let it haze over?

Would a wipedown with 1:1 IPA take care of it also. AIO is pricey and being semi-broke, I don't want to use a lot of that expensive product if a $3 bottle of IPA would work the same.If you cover shipping I will send you some AIO via Fed Ex. I could ship it tomorrow and you would have it Saturday. $5 is all I would charge you. Let me know by PMing me.

Nuke33
02-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Yea i wouldnt use dawn eather

supercharged
02-16-2007, 05:24 AM
Alcohol/water (50/50) mixture will be the cheapest one, cheap and effective.