PDA

View Full Version : Megs MF System

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

alko
10-17-2011, 05:43 PM
So I was alittle hesitant with posting this, but I've been having some problem with the Meg's DA MF system. I'm working with the Porter Cable 7424 XP with the 6" kit that I ordered from the VIP awhile back. I would have taken some pics, but I don't have a camera good enough to capture what looks like fine hair line scratches and swirls.

I began using the cutting disc on speed 4. I noticed off break a very strong vibration in the PC. It felt alittle off balance so I tightened up my grip even more. I was alittle nervous because of how my test spot came out. It worked the majority of the micro marring from claying and induced swirls from low-quality MF drying towel. I didn't think too much of the marring and induced swirls because I was under the impression of correcting with the compound. For the most part, the compounding corrected the marring and some swirls, however, I can still see the swirls using the Brinkmann Swirl Finder (which I absolutely love). At first I was using way too much product, but I constantly cleaned the pads with my air compressor. I lessened the amount of product to 2 to 3 pea sized drops on the pad (feeling the pad after cleaning). After a few panels, and struggling to wipe the residue off, I worked the product longer than average. By doing so I noticed some dusting. I also noticed that after each section of compounding, the product left a hazy or cloudy appearance (see attached pic-left side has been compounded)-however when I used the finishing polish, it worked down and lessened the appearance.

After growing more skeptical, I tried the finishin polish on some of the panels I had already compounded. At first glance, it seemed to finish down well. But when I checked again with the Brinkmann, I could still see swirls. I brought the car out in the sunlight and the swirls were more visible. I was using speed 3 on the PC.

So...can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong...because I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong. I spent the greater part of the day researching others experience with this system. I've followed what others were posting but got the same results. I MAY try the 5" pads, but for now, I need to correct my car. I'm out of the SFX line and plan on ordering the Wolfgang Twins to correct my car. So as of right now, I will have to wait until that comes in and ride around with swirls.....I'm so sad.

P.S. Nick is gonna yell at me....he really likes my car.

Setec Astronomy
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
What kind of car? Factory or repaint?

alko
10-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Black 2010 Acura TSX OEM paint.

Am I applying too much pressure? I followed everyone's suggestion with moderate pressure 2-3 passes and lightened it up the last 3 passes.

mark58
10-17-2011, 05:57 PM
It sounds like you are getting more bounce then rotation. I also think that 6" is to large using PC. Did you try increasing speed?
just my 2 cents.

alko
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
It feels that way. I only bumped it up to 4.5 on the compounding stage.

I did a test panel with another product- Poli Seal with a 5" LC Hydro pad and the difference was night and day as far as how the rotation felt.

IOMCAMARO
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Was you using it outside? What was the temperature on that day? I have noticed that the MF system absolutely hates any heat/sun at all. If you are working in a garage I suggest closing the garage door. That is how bad it doesn't like the outside weather. This is just my experience, but other may chime in here.

mark58
10-17-2011, 06:06 PM
It feels that way. I only bumped it up to 4.5 on the compounding stage.

I did a test panel with another product- Poli Seal with a 5" LC Hydro pad and the difference was night and day as far as how the rotation felt.

It is only my opinion that PC can not handle 6" MF disks. As far as Microfiber System it is second to none. I just love it. With 5" disk and GV110v2 it does a great job.

alko
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Was you using it outside? What was the temperature on that day? I have noticed that the MF system absolutely hates any heat/sun at all. If you are working in a garage I suggest closing the garage door. That is how bad it doesn't like the outside weather. This is just my experience, but other may chime in here.

I was in the garage and only compounded the roof, hood, and left side of the car.

It is only my opinion that PC can not handle 6" MF disks. As far as Microfiber System it is second to none. I just love it. With 5" disk and GV110v2 it does a great job.

I MAY give the 5" pads a try. I think I'm gonna order the Wolfgang Twins to correct the mess I started.

Nick McKees37
10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9592&d=1318891360

Alex,

Does this mean you will give me a better deal on the car when I convince you to sell it to me? I mean technically it should go below book value because it will have less paint on it by the time you remove the swirls. :nomore:

Just saying! :righton:

alko
10-17-2011, 06:16 PM
LMAO...yes Nick...I'll give you a better deal. I was waiting for you to respond.

Griffee
10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Hmmm...

I have the 6" and XP, and have had great results so far.

I use it on 4.5-4.7 and alternate between a pretty aggressive amount of pressure, and very very light pressure(just the weight of the machine). I work in small areas and very slow. I haven't had any dusting,swirls, marring etc.

I then move to the wax at a 3.0.

Maybe try a small test spot this way?

alko
10-17-2011, 06:47 PM
How many passes?

Old Tiger
10-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I read a thread on Detailing World about people having problems with the MF System and soft Japanese paint. Try finishing with a foam pad. The Tangerine Pad may work for you. I have done an Infiniti and a Toyota with a 5" MF cutting Pad on my GG and a Taangerine HT and M105. Hope this helps.

WRAPT C5Z06
10-17-2011, 08:22 PM
How in the world do you all use the PCXP with the MF system on speed 4??? Even with light pressure, the pad *barely* rotates, and this is with a 5" MF pad. I couldn't imagine the 6"!! :eek: With the PCXP, anything under speed 5 is pretty much worthless!! My G110v2 and Griot's are WAY more powerful on speed 4.

Scarelane
10-17-2011, 08:28 PM
I've only used the MF system with my Griot's DA and have very good results. Did you use the Meguiar's Backing plate?