PDA

View Full Version : what are these things on the headlight cover, how to remove?

szjalo
10-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Alrite. Yesterday I tried to use some ultimate compound to clean the headlights of girlfriend's old corolla. Turned out to be a decent result. the foggy headlight cover become clearer immediately.

Well it was a 1-min-test just for fun. so I don't expect you thumb up for the result. But she likes it.

Anyway. after the cover became clear, we found something as shown in the attached pics. those are like many many small chips on the cover. But the surface is absolutely smooth to touch. We think it's probably something inside the cover, but not sure?

Any ideas? How does it comes? Anyway to remove it? (Can I actually reach the interior of the cover...)

thanks a lot in advance

cmichael258
10-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Perhaps residue of condensation?

opie_7afe
10-16-2011, 01:18 PM
those look to be either micro fractures in the lense, or it is the uv coating going to crap which will mean you need to wetsand through the uv coating

2kredbb6
10-16-2011, 02:01 PM
those look to be either micro fractures in the lense,

Thats exactly what they are, stress fractures..

opie_7afe
10-16-2011, 03:48 PM
ive also seen the uv coating fracture, lenses looked screwed but some sanding and polishing made them beautiful again. but im guessing its stress fractures, my thoughts are from temperature extremes makes them crack or uv rays broke down the plastic. i am so glad my lenses are glass, sure there pitted but atleast there clear!. maybe the OP can take a 60x-100x pocket magnifier to the lense to see deeper down what they are.