PDA

View Full Version : Proper storage of your car?

mcpp66
10-15-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm getting ready to store my Camaro for the winter and want to make sure I do the right things. Obviously I'm going to wash the car and put a couple of coats of sealant on (Blackfire). But what's next? Should I fill the tank with Gasoline or is it better to leave it as close to empty as possible? What about a fuel additive? I have the Flatstoppers ramps so I don't need to worry about flat spots. Anything else?

ScottB
10-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Stabil in the gas, a Ctek or Battery Tender, and one of those interior bags that contains any moisture.

5.4 Shelby
10-15-2011, 09:05 PM
I detail and wax. Cover with a good cover (paint must be completely dust and dirt free before a cover touches it.) Pm me if you want my opinions and techniques on cover usage. I use a battery tender (I like Griots Garage Battery Manager). Full tank of gas. Dont touch it until Spring. Monthly startups only serve to build moisture in the exhaust.

Heated garage.

Chris's FX4
10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Where will you be storing the Camaro?

My dad's Mustang is stored in a pole barn with a crushed limestone floor. Full gas tank with Sta-bil. QD spray to remove dust before the cover goes on. Battery is pulled. Moisture absorbing packets in the interior, trunk, and engine bay. Then some moth ball containers at the exterior corners and some steel wool in the tail pipes. Flatstoppers are also used.

The above was also done for my Ranchero.

Rei86
10-15-2011, 10:49 PM
If you're really going to store it for sometime I would left it (reduce the risk of flat spot) drain the oil, drain the trans, drain the diff, lower the gas and put in Sta-Bil and finally disconnect the battery.

You can also toss in some silica gel for some moister control. Oh btw I would keep some mouse/rat traps around so they don't eat away at your wires/build a nasty nest somewhere.

Timbrr
10-16-2011, 05:39 PM
My Routine:
Vette; Wash, (already has a sealant & wax job)
Battery Tender
Sta-Bil in a full gas tank
Parked on carpet samples
Tires at 35 PSI
Moth balls in the engine compartment, interior and trunk
Irish Spring soap in the same places as the moth balls
Steel wool in the tail pipes
Car cover

Chevelle:Wash, (already has a sealant & wax job)
Battery Pulled and on a Battery Tender
Sta-Bil in a full gas tank
Parked on carpet samples
Tires at 35 PSI
Moth balls in the engine compartment, interior and trunk
Irish Spring soap in the same places as the moth balls
Car cover
It's going to be a long winter

mcpp66
10-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Where will you be storing the Camaro?

It'll be stored in my unheated garage.

Twister
10-16-2011, 11:55 PM
What is the purpose of the mothballs? Keep pests away?

FUNX650
10-17-2011, 12:06 PM
some steel wool in the tail pipes.

Most of the time rodents don't find steel wool to their liking. However, have you guys ever had problems with steel wool and its 'rusting' capabilities?

I did...and switched to synthetic or stainless-steel,"steel wool".
Their effectiveness in this approach to rodent abatement seems the same.

Your thoughts/input are appreciated. :)

Bob

C. Charles Hahn
10-17-2011, 03:29 PM
I had a buddy who used to use either tennis balls or something similar to plug the tail pipes.... seemed to work fine for him.

Chris's FX4
10-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I've never noticed any problem with the steel wool rusting. It looks the same come spring time as it did right out of the bag before storage.

POPPAJ
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Most of the time rodents don't find steel wool to their liking. However, have you guys ever had problems with steel wool and its 'rusting' capabilities?

I did...and switched to synthetic or stainless-steel,"steel wool".
Their effectiveness in this approach to rodent abatement seems the same.

Your thoughts/input are appreciated. :)

Bob

They sell a stainless steel pad for pot scrubbing at most grocery stores or go to a marine supply store and get brass wool. Never had a problem with regular steel wool though.